Author Topic: Weird things your pets do  (Read 15594 times)

ebelie

Re: Weird things your pets do
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 05:04:19 AM »
My cat won't drink out of her own water, only mine.  I think she thinks I'm her personal taster, just in case someone is trying to poison her.  It's taught me not to leave my water glass unattended.

She's also terrified of plastic bags because she got the handle of one caught around her neck.* Unfortunately she's not the brightest kitten in the box, because after a year of religiously avoiding plastic bags, she did exactly the same thing again.  That time it stuck and now she leaves the room if she hears even the quietest plasticky crinkle.

*Both these incidents happened when my husband and I were unpacking our groceries, she wasn't left unsupervised with plastic bags. We were able to rescue her from the crinkly monster once she'd stopped bouncing off the walls. 

NbyNW

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 05:15:21 AM »
We have to be careful which cleaning products we use and where we use them because if it has bleach in it Willow (who is technically my daughter's cat but temporarily resides with us) will rub her face in it and roll around on it.

We had a little dog named Sassy for many years. When she was little she would carry her kibble from the kitchen into the family room where she would arrange it in neat little piles then carefully "hide" it by pushing imaginary dirt over it with her nose.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 05:49:27 AM »
*grin* I am loving these stories.

My late Mika-kitty had this odd habit for the longest time. She would climb up onto my bed, and creeeeep up to the pillow and plop herself on it. I barely got any pillow for myself. And then she would decide that mommy (me) was not groomed properly and she absolutely had to "groom" me. So she would nose my hair for a bit. That felt quite nice actually. Then she would nibble on it. A little weird, and it always got a chuckle out of me, but so far so good. Then she decided that my head was moving too much and would stick her claws into my head and ferociously bite upon my head like it was a tasty snack. You heard this line coming from my room at night on a regular basis:

*laughing* "No, Mika stop!" *peals of laughter, no more speech*

lkdrymom

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 07:13:47 AM »
When the kids were little we got a Tiny Beenie Baby in a happy meal. It was a Rhino which looks just like a grey mouse...Blossom adopted this toy and took it everywhere with her. We assumed she thought it was her baby. We'd find it in the food bowl...in the water dish and of course later in the litter box.

We had an incident of 'when paper bags attack'. Had Mexican take out and it came in a paper bag with handles. Smell must have been took good for Vincenzo cause he got in the bag then got his head stuck in the handle. He panicked and took off...with the paper bag trailing. He made two complete runs of the house before we could catch him and beat the terrible bag off of him. He is 18 pounds of pure stupid.

shadowfox79

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 07:23:22 AM »
Tigger likes to adopt random places around the house to sleep in. The more inconvenient they are, the better - in the dishrack, in front of the toilet, on the wet laundry in the basket, you name it.

The last place he picked was the top of the fridge. I discovered this when I went downstairs in the middle of the night for a drink and a tail fell down in front of me. I half expected his eyes to light up when I opened the door.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 05:54:23 PM »
My son's parakeet Aragorn has a thing for the blind cord. He likes to walk around with the cord and hit the plastic end on his cage bars. He is a nut.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 07:33:07 PM »
My cousin's cat Ghostling likes to drag around the water dish. I have no idea why, but it is never in the same place twice.

My Dad's cat MacDuff likes to roll around in the empty bathtub. He leaps into it and starts doing somersaults and wriggling and twirling and flopping around, purring his little head off.

My cat Falstaff, besides having a meow that sounds like "Mama", likes to shove people over while they're asleep. I'll wake up on different sides of the bed, and see Falstaff stretched out full length where I was asleep before, his paws pushing on my legs. He's a big cat, but he's amazingly subtle about it. I have no idea how he manages to do it almost every night without me noticing that he's shoving me over. I have a queen-size bed, but apparently half of it is needed by my mooshy-cat.

My Dad's dog Milo is not a gifted dog - I got home from a party at 4 AM. It's very late, I'll grant you. I came in as quietly as I could, and called him (quietly) down the stairs so he could see it was me. He saw me, wagged his tail, got some pets, and I went upstairs in silence. Then the Simple Dog noticed that my car was parked out front, and began barking his head off to alert us to this fact.

andi

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 10:00:42 PM »
My Yorki is named "Captain Jack" for a reason - he's just an oddball. Basically he has no clue he's a dog - he plays and acts like a cat that barks. He bats at toys, only pays attention to you when he wants to and can out-stare a goldfih when he wants a treat or a lap to sit in. He also has a knack for wanting attnetion from people who don't want him around

Minmom3

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 10:51:15 PM »
Noelle -  2yo purported Maine Coon girl.  Known as Pinhead, or Lardbutt, for the usual reasons.  LOVES to lick the fish tank, but only when sitting draped over my shoulder and purring.   Fell off the cat tree one time when she ran head first into the other cat here.  Didn't just lose her balance, noooo, she fell off from 4 feet up.  Was not elegant one teeny bit!  If I don't turn out the lights in the room when she wants to go to sleep, she'll get up on whatever high furniture she can and start messing around with stuff, trying to flip pictures off the wall, etc.  Then, when I yell at her, she'll sit bolt upright, look at me, and shimmy her entire body, and flip her tail at me.  Hisses and bites me when I clip her nails.  Has a water fountain now, because she got in the way so consistently when I ran the bathroom faucet.  Is the typical 'pet me, pet me, now I bite you!' kind of cat.  Beautiful.  No sense of smell that we can tell.  Not bright.  Latest trick is to jump on the pot of the spider plant to chew on the fern in the pot next door.  Tipped them both over the other night, at 2 in the morning....
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

CarolinaEmerald

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 11:04:48 PM »
Kira, my black lab/treeing walker coonhound mix MUST sleep underneath the blankets - no matter the season.  This dog cannot sleep unless she is covered from head to tip of tail in blankets.  Since she weighs over 100 pounds, she takes up a lot of blanket!

Hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 11:08:20 PM »
Smokey eats colanders.  He used to jump up and pull them out of the sink!  He chewed up two plastic ones before we bought a metal colander, and he stole that one all the time too.  I guess dried pasta water flakes just taste that good?  ::)  He only stopped when we put our new tile floor in, and it got too slippery for him to keep his balance on only two legs.

Smokey also loves, of all things, balsamic vinegar.  He hates most vegetables, but if you offer him some broccoli or lettuce or carrot dipped in balsamic vinaigrette, he'll go crazy and snatch it from you, then lick all the liquid off it.

He hates smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.  If you show him one that's not on the wall, he starts shaking and freaks out.  We theorize it's due to the beeping they make.

One of his hind legs has a delayed nerve response time for some reason.  If he's standing still, and suddenly tries to move, occasionally that leg will not respond as quickly, leading to him sliding and scrambling to get his body under control again.  Yet, he persists in standing in the middle of our tiled, slippery kitchen to watch us.  I swear, one of these days he's going to break a leg!

JustEstelle

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 01:31:26 AM »
My late kitty, Fritz, had an encounter with the Plastic Bag Monster once.  When we were first married, DH worked nights and had to sleep during the day.  I worked days.  We'd been to the store the night before this incident occurred, but we'd not put away the cans of cat food we'd bought.  I hadn't given it a lot of thought because Fritz and his "sister," Miss Kitty didn't bother the bags if we left them on the counter or table.

This one morning, however, I guess Fritz's curiosity got the better of him.  DH was awakened from a sound sleep by a gosh-awful racket:  cat yowling, metal cans clanking, plastic rustling, and the sound of a cat racing through the house.  DH got up to investigate and, just as his feet hit the floor, Fritz ran across DH's foot and dug his claws in as he dove under the bed.  I think DH still has scars on his foot from the gash Fritz left.  DH wound up having to move the bed to get to Fritz and get the plastic bag with cat food cans in it off of him.  After that, all you had to do around Fritz was rustle a plastic sack, and he'd freeze and get all saucer-eyed. 

One of our current kitties, Charlie, does the "Sheldon Cooper" knock on the door.  We have a dresser that sits just to the right of our bedroom door.  Charlie will jump onto the dresser where he can reach the doorknob and tap-tap-tap-MEOW!  tap-tap-tap-MEOW!  tap-tap-tap-MEOW!  Once, I tried to get his picture doing this, but he stopped when he saw me pick up my cell phone.  I told him, "Charlie, I want to take your picture.  Would you knock again, please?"  And he did!  He put a paw on the doorknob and held it there until I said, "Okay.  Got it!  Thank you!"  Then he sat down and looked at me as if to say, "Now, would you let me out, please?"   ;D

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »
Our Boxer, Daisy, has a thing for my dad's chewing tobacco (personally, I think chewing that stuff is gross, but I digress).  No, he doesn't let her have it, but she will come over and he will let her sniff the half-opened container.  She will immediately dip into a play-bow, give a clearly enunciated "Woof!" before sniffing again and doing the same thing.  She will repeat this for as long as he lets her sniff the can, and she makes some pretty interesting faces while she does this.  It's like she either loves to hate it, or hates to love it. 

She gives a milder, but similar, reaction to the smell of whiskey.  However, we learned not to let her sniff that, because she'll try to swat the glass from the hand of whoever is holding it once she's ascertained that it does, in fact, smell bad to her.

Maybe she's trying to teach her family that tobacco/booze = bad?  ;D

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 04:03:11 PM »
My Sammy is a little perv! He just loves loves loves to have his little hiney spanked. When you enter the room he will dart to the back of the couch, stick his butt in the air and writhe and wiggle while he anticipates the spanking. once he gets his spankys, the purring and drooling begin. Of course we are very gentle when we do it, as I don't imagine that long term the spankings are particularly good for his hips.

Weirdo.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2012, 04:12:34 PM »
Mischief (AKA Biscuit or Thunderbuns) is a very large cat and he loves to lick and bite tape on boxes. I don't understand it at all.