Author Topic: Weird things your pets do  (Read 16256 times)

Melle

Re: Weird things your pets do
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »
My dear 11-year old cow-colored cat Bonkers has weird smell fetishes.
Of course, she goes for the usual catnip and valerian, but there are a few other favorites she goes nuts over:
- beeswax candles
- pickled olive brine (but only from green olives!)
- chlorine (nope, not kidding. No hung-to-dry swimsuit is safe from her)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2012, 01:55:54 PM »
My Burmese kitty has decided that paper towels MUST DIE. She was ripping up a piece and gnawing on it like she was on Animal Kingdom or something. ??? This is a cat who normally won't eat anything that isn't her special brand of food!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

goldilocks

« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
My boy dog, Major, will not allow the girl dog to eat the dog food.  She barks until we let him in so she can eat.  This is the ONLY time she ever barks.

However, if we give them scraps or other people food, she will not allow him to eat it, unless he gobbles it down very fast before she can grab it.

Now, she's decided she likes his bed better.   He can't figure out that he can just go get in her bed, instead he sleeps on the floor until she decides to move.

mmswm

« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2012, 05:20:43 PM »
Oh, I just remembered something else Booger used to do! When I lived in North Dakota, one of the boys' favorite places to go was Fort Ransom State Park.  It was only about an hour away, so when the weather was good, we'd go quite often.  When we'd get back home, Booger would go NUTS over our shoes and the bottoms of our jeans.  It was crazier than a cat on catnip. He'd rub up against the shoes, put them all in a pile and roll over them, tear around the house  and then do it all again.  I know neither catnip or valerian grows naturally in that area, but I never did figure out what grows there that he was reacting too.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Jones

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2012, 05:41:06 PM »
I recently realized my Maxine (she came with the name Max but, well, she's a she) takes her dog biscuits to her bed and growls at the other dogs when they come near and look at the snack. She doesn't eat it, but she'll snuggle and sleep on it. She rolls on it, rubs it all over her body. The next day she doesn't eat it, and some other dog will sneak over and eat it when she isn't looking. Come treat time again, she will happily take her treat to bed and begin the process all over again.

No clue how long this has been going on. Probably since I bought this brand of dog biscuits.

This is Maxi. The baby is Boo Bear. She doesn't care if a human takes her treat, just other dogs.

Tsaiko

« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2012, 07:54:33 PM »
We use to have a spider plant that we had to bring in every winter because it would get too cold for it to survive outside. Every winter, Kira would find the spider plant and eat it. Didn't matter where we put it: on top of things, in things, away from any thing to jump on. Within a few weeks, she would eat it down to the soil. As far as I could tell from the internet at the time, spider plants were not known to be toxic and she never suffered from any ill effects. I watched her like a hawk the first few times she ate it and it would have been straight to the vet had she so much as breathed wrong. After a while, I just shrugged if off as one of those crazy cat things.

Last week, I found out that spider plants are mildly hallucinogenic for cats.

:o

valkyrie

« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2012, 11:49:53 PM »
I bet Kira was like, "Have you ever looked at your paw?  I mean, really looked at your paw?"

emwithme

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »
When DH and I were first dating, he took me to an SCA event where the food was HEAVY on the cloves.

One of our tea towels was used as a dishcloth and so was totally impregnated with clove oil. 

We got home, and Splodge & Nev (who were five months old at the time) went absolutely mental for the tea towel, growling with each other, rolling around and wrapping themselves in it, and splaying themselves on the wooden floor where the tea towel had been.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2012, 07:05:11 PM »
My sister and I were in 4-H in high school, and our projects were Angora rabbits. We bred our rabbits one winter and kept the girls inside, in the basement.

My rabbit had a litter of 4 baby bunnies, which are born hairless and sightless.

We also had Melanie, a solid back cat, who was odd. One morning, shortly after they were born, Melanie, came upstairs, screamed at me, and went back downstairs. She kept doing this while I ate breakfast. I mostly ignored her because she was just a weird cat. When I was done eating, I went down to check the babies, and found 1 missing completely and one out if the box. I put the other one back, and started looking for the missing baby. I start watching the goofy cat, and she took me to the baby, who was a good bit away from the cage mama bunny was in. I thought the baby was dead because he was laying on the cold basement floor in the middle of the winter.

He was cold, but alive. Melanie had to have been keeping him warm, or there is no way he would have lived. I almost wonder if she wasn't trying to bring it upstairs to me, because of how far from the cage he was.

Moonie

« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »
There's our cat, Tig. She loves socks! She'll pull them out of the upstairs laundry basket and carry them down stairs (and back up), often singing to them while she does it. I've seen her make piles of socks and to lay them out neatly in parallel. The other day, she had one black sock and one white sock at the bottom of the stairs, and a similar pair on the landing.

If there aren't any socks, she's been known to do this with underwear -- so far, she hasn't done it when company are present, but I'm sure it will happen. She's even dragged T-shirts up and down the stairs.

Chloe, my little Tuxedo girl has a sock fetish also. Every day I come home to at least two pairs of socks behind the chair in my living room. If she can't get to the socks, she takes skeins and balls of yarn out of my bedroom closet and piles those in the living room too.

Jones

« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »
I hadn't really thought about it before, but my pomchi P.D. has a strange habit: When I ask him whether he needs to go outside, he spins around clockwise. When he goes slowly, it seems to mean "If I must," but sometimes he spins like a top, and when that happens it's obvious he REALLY needs to go. This morning I had gotten up and was beginning my day (I usually wait to let the canines out when I'm dressed) when I noticed P.D. racing in a tight little circle; I let him out and the relief on his little face was so obvious I almost laughed.

Moonie

« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »
Ziggy, my gray/blue male cat was neutered at between 4 and 5 months of age, so he never really got to doing the "manly" cat things a lot of male cats do. However, he has adopted, as his "girlfriend", our dog's unstuffed toys. One is a skunk and one is a fox....known as "Na-na and Foxy Brown" respectively. He will pick one up by the nape of its neck and walk around yowling. Then he will "air hump" it...followed by a "FLUMP" onto his side. He then will rub his nether region all over the poor toy. Many times after going to bed I will hear him singing to one of his "girls". In the morning I will sometimes find one of the toys with its head in the dog's food dish. I think that he's "taking her out to dinner" as a repayment for her "favors".

Miss Lola Brown, our "dachawawa"...half dachshund/half chihuahua...is very territorial. She will go nuts if she even sees someone walking down the sidewalk in front of HER house. It has become a custom that if I'm expecting delivery from the Chinese restaraunt or the pizza place, I will have her "kennel up" before the driver arrives. Now if she hears me on the phone say, "I would like to place an order for delivery...", she goes and gets in her kennel.

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2012, 12:04:42 PM »
My cat, Blackie loves stuffed animals.  He will climb into the toy bin, go down under all the toys and come up the other side with his prize held firmly in his mouth.  Then he'll run off to wrestle with his "victim."
He also enjoys shopping out of the trash bins.  You'll be sitting in the living room and he'll streak by with some sort of bathroom trash in his mouth.
Also, he likes to like photographs.  That bothered me because I feel like he's licking the chemicals off, so I have to guard them and then snatch them away from him.

My Mom had an elderly female cat that would lick my closed eyelids while I was sleeping.  I seemed to be the only one she did this to.  It was an interesting way to wake up that's for sure!
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2012, 06:11:48 PM »
Ziggy, my gray/blue male cat was neutered at between 4 and 5 months of age, so he never really got to doing the "manly" cat things a lot of male cats do. However, he has adopted, as his "girlfriend", our dog's unstuffed toys. One is a skunk and one is a fox....known as "Na-na and Foxy Brown" respectively. He will pick one up by the nape of its neck and walk around yowling. Then he will "air hump" it...followed by a "FLUMP" onto his side. He then will rub his nether region all over the poor toy. Many times after going to bed I will hear him singing to one of his "girls". In the morning I will sometimes find one of the toys with its head in the dog's food dish. I think that he's "taking her out to dinner" as a repayment for her "favors".

My boy does this too.  Sometimes he's so loud I think he's hurt or something.  I go to check on him and he is having a really, really good time.  ::)  He prefers white stuffed animals over any other, though he will hump just about anything from throw pillows to shoes.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Minmom3

« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »
Oh, MEMORIES!...  We had an orange cat when I was 7, name of Marmalade.  Came to us as an adult male, of about a year.  Quite neurotic animal.  Mom's bed had a fleece cover, and he would hump that, after he pulled it off the bed and dragged it into the corner!  Hump, spasm, ejaculate!  Good Gravy!  He did that to mom's spread, and anything 'blankety' he could snag after the spread died of old age, until HE died of old age at when I was about 22.  I'd forgotten all about that lovely habit of his!   :o
Mother to children and fuzz butts....