Author Topic: Weird things your pets do  (Read 13074 times)

stargazer

• Super Hero!
Re: Weird things your pets do
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2012, 11:14:41 PM »
Oh, MEMORIES!...  We had an orange cat when I was 7, name of Marmalade.  Came to us as an adult male, of about a year.  Quite neurotic animal.  Mom's bed had a fleece cover, and he would hump that, after he pulled it off the bed and dragged it into the corner!  Hump, spasm, ejaculate!  Good Gravy!  He did that to mom's spread, and anything 'blankety' he could snag after the spread died of old age, until HE died of old age at when I was about 22.  I'd forgotten all about that lovely habit of his!   :o

Holy cow!  Was he fixed? 

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2012, 10:19:40 AM »
I just thought of another weird thing Smokey does.  He likes to sleep on our guest bed, which isn't that unusual, but he hates having sheets and pillows on it.  So he'll mess stuff up a little more every time he jumps on it, to where eventually the sheets and cover are hanging off the side, or off the bottom, and the pillows are tossed somewhere else.  The weird part is that we never see him actually doing any of this.  We just come home, go upstairs, and notice that something else has been disarranged.  It's pretty funny to watch the progression of cover gets pushed around, sheets get pushed off, one pillow goes, and then the other pillow goes.  Then it's perfect according to the dog, but that's when I pull everything off, wash it all, and remake the bed, so he has to start all over again. 

BarensMom

« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2012, 10:58:42 AM »
I just thought of another weird thing Smokey does.  He likes to sleep on our guest bed, which isn't that unusual, but he hates having sheets and pillows on it.  So he'll mess stuff up a little more every time he jumps on it, to where eventually the sheets and cover are hanging off the side, or off the bottom, and the pillows are tossed somewhere else.  The weird part is that we never see him actually doing any of this.  We just come home, go upstairs, and notice that something else has been disarranged.  It's pretty funny to watch the progression of cover gets pushed around, sheets get pushed off, one pillow goes, and then the other pillow goes.  Then it's perfect according to the dog, but that's when I pull everything off, wash it all, and remake the bed, so he has to start all over again.

Baren messes up the bed like that, but with him it's more of a "Tasmanian Devil" spin until everything is wadded up to his satisfaction.  Then he lays down on top of the mess on my side of the bed, curls up to DH when he gets in, then refuses to budge for me.  I've had to go snooze on the couch until he decides to move more nights than I'd like to admit.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2012, 11:07:36 AM »
Baren messes up the bed like that, but with him it's more of a "Tasmanian Devil" spin until everything is wadded up to his satisfaction.  Then he lays down on top of the mess on my side of the bed, curls up to DH when he gets in, then refuses to budge for me.  I've had to go snooze on the couch until he decides to move more nights than I'd like to admit.

I've posted pictures of it before, but Falstaff likes to stretch out full length in my spot in the bed, and will let me lie down on him rather than scoot his mooshy butt over so I can lie down. Eventually he gets up, then curls up under my arm like a purring stuffed toy, but it's always an interesting sight.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »
Boojum is way too interested in veggies for someone who doesn't eat them. She stole a broccoli floret out of the colander in the sink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvNaTfLKs88&list=UUHS0AzBY7zFtWKyH-ZXjR8g&index=1&feature=plcp

Shortly after this, I found several pieces of chopped cabbage in the living room.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2012, 07:33:50 PM »
Our Boxer, Daisy, has only done this once or twice before in her lifetime, but she just did it again tonight.  She told us that the fire needed more wood.  ;D It was down to embers, and she nudged one of the split logs with her nose, looked over at us, and snorted.  I guess it didn't take her long to figure out that putting the wood in the fireplace makes the fire warmer.  Sometimes I think that dog is a little too smart.  ::)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »
My Boy will often sleep with is eyes open.  Totally freaks me out.   ::)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

rain

« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2012, 07:46:07 PM »
our indoor cat likes to leave us "gifts" overnight ... like matchbox cars, toy soldiers, etc....
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

snowfire

« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
My tortie Tyra has a thing for my shoes.  Particularly my wool Haflinger clogs.  She sticks her nose deep into the shoes and rubs and rolls and has a high old time.  I didn't think I sweat catnip.....

Gyburc

« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2012, 07:05:47 AM »
Snowfire's post about feet just reminded me...

My geese dislike change, and get rather freaked out if I go into the garden wearing something unusual (a hat, for instance). They are also somewhat fixated on my feet. My gander Titan will attack my feet during the b.reeding season if I let him.  ::) Apparently this is not unusual for geese.

When I got the geese as week-old goslings, I had a pair of black and white striped wellies that I had had for ages. Eventually they got holes, so I bought new ones in the standard dull green. Thinking nothing of it, I put them on and strolled out into the garden with a handful of cabbage for the birds.

My poor geese. They took one look at my New Feet and ran away shrieking. Not even the cabbage could tempt them near me for a while. When they did finally dare approach, they ran up to me sideways, keeping one wary eye on my Evil Boots, snatched the cabbage and ran off to a safe distance to eat it. 

Geese (and ducks) see colours differently from humans, so my theory is that the colour we see as dull green is a really bright, vivid colour to them. On the other hand, perhaps they are just weird.  ;D
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »
My mother's cat understands English perfectly.

We discovered it one day when someone said, idly, "Oh, look, there are crows on the lawn." Cue the cat immediately crouching down (he is afraid of crows), and crawling to the window, to peep up, and duck down again.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Dorrie78

« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2012, 10:13:50 AM »
My cat loves to be vacuumed. I discovered it recently while I had the attachment on and she was nearby. She is deaf, so isn't bothered by the noise. So, I vacuumed her and she LOVED it. Saves some brushing time.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
Harley, my 14 year old cat, has a new method of alerting us when his water dish is not up to his high standard. He stands in the hallway alcove next to my bedroom and howls until we open the bedroom door. Once it is open, he carefully investigates the room for any fresh water, then moves on to the bathroom where he jumps up and drinks from the toilet.

The water dish is cleaned twice a day and filled. The cats like to drop food in it, then won't drink out of it. I have SS cats.  ::)

The other cat, Mischief, likes to perform the litter box aria a few times a day. The reverb is quite astonishing.

emwithme

« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2012, 10:31:53 AM »
My mother's cat understands English perfectly.

We discovered it one day when someone said, idly, "Oh, look, there are crows on the lawn." Cue the cat immediately crouching down (he is afraid of crows), and crawling to the window, to peep up, and duck down again.

So does my Splodge.  I have a huge fear of moths.  They are horrid ebil things that serve no purpose other than to fly at me and make me shriek. 

Splodge LOVES moths.  They are one of her favourite noms. 

One day, she jumped through the window with *something* in her mouth.  It was the giantest moth I had ever seen (it was floofy and its body was bigger than my thumb). She spat it out and started to play with it, as kittehs do.

I *very calmly* said to her "Splodge, if you're going to eat that moth, you need to do it outside. You know I don't do moths".

At which point, she picked up the moth, jumped back out the window, ate the moth and came back in for head bonks like the good girl she is...

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2012, 10:40:13 AM »
We had a black cat growing up who was really smart.  We trained him not to wander the whole house; he'd wander occasionally, then meow to let you know he got past you.  Mom could vacuum him.  She'd do one side, grab all four legs together, flip him over and do the other side.  He also loved to climb in the dryer on top of the warm, clean clothes while she was trying to get them out.  Drove Mom crazy.  One day, he climbed in after the clothes were taken out.  Mom closed the door, let him go around once and opened the door.  He took off like he was shot out of a cannon and never bothered her again when she was doing laundry.

Our second cat was... not so smart.  He couldn't be trained.  One day, Mom switched his nose with the fly swatter when he wandered.  Then she put the swatter down on the floor.  He wouldn't step over it!  So he wasn't trained but she could keep him from wandering.  He also did something else weird.  We have a 5 acre woodlot.  He was allowed out during the day and would wander, especially when my Dad was working in the bush.  One day, when Dad was coming back down to the house on the ATV, the cat was right there.  So Dad picked him up and put him on the seat in front of him and drove back down to the house with the cat sitting there!  It got to the point that Dad didn't even have to hold on to him.  The cat would jump on, rest his front paws on the front handlebars and enjoy the ride.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario