Author Topic: Weird things your pets do  (Read 17450 times)

Pippen

Re: Weird things your pets do
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2012, 06:35:16 PM »
Pet lambs are the bane of my existence, Pippen. One of the more recent bottle-babies used to follow me everywhere-- even into the bathroom. It got to the point where it was like the stupid nursery rhyme made even worse.

My goats on the other hand, are awesome. This afternoon they decided to take themselves home when I was too slow coming to get them from their hill. Two of the... slower shall we say, does didn't come with the horde of ten, and instead were found stuck near the cattle shed. Made me laugh. But then, most of the stuff my goats do is weird.

True. Goats are pretty awesome but they do tend to get themselves into some silly situations. We had to rescue one out of a tree once. How it got up there and why was a mystery.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2012, 04:15:16 PM »
I'd love some insight into this behavior if anybody has some.

I adopted my now-5-year-old neutered male cat when he was three from a rescue organization so I'm not sure of his background. He has a stuffed fish with a rattle in it that he LOVES and carries everywhere. He especially likes to wait until I turn out the lights to go to bed, then he brings it into the room all while meowing loudly and repeatedly with a "mrowr?" sound and then playing with it. (Sometimes we even play fetch.)

Some online research indicated it's 'play meowing' but I also wonder if he thinks he's bringing food to the kittens and calling them to come eat. Which, since he's a male, sounds a little odd, but maybe male cats do this more often than I know.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

rain

« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2012, 08:50:22 PM »
uh... when I was a kid, we had a male cat (non-neutered) bring home a kitten once
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2012, 11:41:25 PM »
I don't know how weird this is, because I didn't have cats growing up, but I have four cats now, and they all follow me from room to room. It's not like ducklings in a line, but once I move rooms, I just have to wait a few minutes, and then they'll all show up, one after another, trying to look bored and unconcerned, like "Oh, hey Mom, didn't know you were here. I just wanted to be in here all of a sudden."

Except Falstaff, who follows me from room to room, crying "MAMA" at the top of his little kitty voice.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2012, 11:43:07 PM »
I once had a 10-year-old neutered male Scottish fold who let a kitten nurse on him. Full milkbar action, with him purring and licking her. Unca Nester.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2012, 01:42:37 AM »
I once had a kitten named Gizmo. He was a little terror. We had to give him up, knowing our home was not the right one for him. So we gave him to my grandmother, who of course loved him. (Plus I got to see him everyday). So one night she called gizmo in the house, and she notices he's got something tucked under a paw.

Yep, it was a tiny little kitten.

Grandma tried to get Gizzy to let go of the thing but he refused, and resigned, grandma let them both in. She ended up keeping the kitten, whom she named Skitters, because of her skittish behavior.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2012, 08:47:05 AM »
My Cheshire kitty. He was a stray, that came into my life when I saw some kids throwing rocks at him in the street. He was going to be rehomed right away, but my DF fell in love with him and named him. He loved to be outside, so I set him up with a harness and 10 foot lead out the front door.

That is not the odd part though...he was terrified of blowing leaves. While most cats chase them, he ran and hid from them. The only time he ever managed to tangle his leash up in the flower bed was ran he was hiding from the blowing leaves.

He's living with a friend of mine now. When we had to move, I had to rehome a few of the cats, and he fell in love with a friend of mine.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2012, 09:06:13 AM »
Oh, MEMORIES!...  We had an orange cat when I was 7, name of Marmalade.  Came to us as an adult male, of about a year.  Quite neurotic animal.  Mom's bed had a fleece cover, and he would hump that, after he pulled it off the bed and dragged it into the corner!  Hump, spasm, ejaculate!  Good Gravy!  He did that to mom's spread, and anything 'blankety' he could snag after the spread died of old age, until HE died of old age at when I was about 22.  I'd forgotten all about that lovely habit of his!   :o

Holy cow!  Was he fixed?

Some toms never lose interest- especially if they have already mated before and were neutered relatively late. My poor boy Mikka would get horribly frustrated when there was an unfixed female outside. Ever seen a Norwegian Forest Cat trying to get out through a letterslot?
NE England

Tsaiko

« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2012, 11:23:17 AM »
Oh, MEMORIES!...  We had an orange cat when I was 7, name of Marmalade.  Came to us as an adult male, of about a year.  Quite neurotic animal.  Mom's bed had a fleece cover, and he would hump that, after he pulled it off the bed and dragged it into the corner!  Hump, spasm, ejaculate!  Good Gravy!  He did that to mom's spread, and anything 'blankety' he could snag after the spread died of old age, until HE died of old age at when I was about 22.  I'd forgotten all about that lovely habit of his!   :o

Holy cow!  Was he fixed?

Some toms never lose interest- especially if they have already mated before and were neutered relatively late. My poor boy Mikka would get horribly frustrated when there was an unfixed female outside. Ever seen a Norwegian Forest Cat trying to get out through a letterslot?

No, but I have the feeling that would be comedy gold if it were put on Youtube!

snowfire

« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2012, 04:07:56 PM »
Ever seen a Norwegian Forest Cat trying to get out through a letterslot?

Probably even funnier than the TINY miniature horse stallion that I saw trying to sweet talk a Shire mare.  He stood maybe 2.5 feet tall at the shoulder and she was well over 6 feet.  I'll give him points for ego and ambition.  The mare just looked at him and yawned.  ;D

Minmom3

« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2012, 10:07:36 PM »

Holy cow!  Was he fixed?

I was 7, so this is all hearesay - Vet said he was about a year old, and WAS fixed.  He did it until he died, when I was about 22 or so.  He moved on to other blankets once the flowered fuzzy spread hit the trash bin, but he LOVED the spread the mostest!  He got really offended one time, after high school, when he tried to jump up from the counter to the top of the fridge, and he missed it gloriously.  Mom said he'd had a stroke, and couldn't hear too well, and couldn't jump as well (don't know why she didn't move his food down onto the floor, but he wasn't my cat...)  He jumped up, and the top of the arc was well below the top of the fridge, and pretty far out, like a third of the jump it needed to be, and it was perfectly smooth and he went up and then he went down.  It was hilarious and I started laughing, and he gave me a filthy look and went and hid under something.  He was a really smart cat, and I was a wretched child to him.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2012, 03:57:24 AM »
Not weird but Falcor ate half a tray of homemade empanadas this afternoon before I could put them in the oven. Jerk.

Gyburc

« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2012, 07:30:52 AM »
A former goose kept trying to mate with me.

I've heard other goose owners say this. Fortunately, Titan has not tried this with me so far!  ;D

I really need to set up a fence in the garden to keep the geese away from the house. Our new back doors are French doors, so the geese spend all of their time sitting outside trying to see what we are doing in the house (and if we are likely to be bringing them food). Titan keeps trying to bite through the glass, and every time one of us goes past the door, all three of them start shouting at us.  ::)
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2012, 10:13:40 AM »
A former goose kept trying to mate with me.

I've heard other goose owners say this. Fortunately, Titan has not tried this with me so far!  ;D

I really need to set up a fence in the garden to keep the geese away from the house. Our new back doors are French doors, so the geese spend all of their time sitting outside trying to see what we are doing in the house (and if we are likely to be bringing them food). Titan keeps trying to bite through the glass, and every time one of us goes past the door, all three of them start shouting at us.  ::)

Sounds like the goose version of football on TV.

"Throw the corn! No, you fool! Over here!"
"What's he doing?"
"Passing, I think. Throw the corn out here! C'mon, THROW IT!"
<sigh> "Scraggy, he can't hear you through the glass..."
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2012, 03:32:38 PM »
I'd love some insight into this behavior if anybody has some.

I adopted my now-5-year-old neutered male cat when he was three from a rescue organization so I'm not sure of his background. He has a stuffed fish with a rattle in it that he LOVES and carries everywhere. He especially likes to wait until I turn out the lights to go to bed, then he brings it into the room all while meowing loudly and repeatedly with a "mrowr?" sound and then playing with it. (Sometimes we even play fetch.)

I've always wondered what this means, too. I can't really correlate it to any behavior cats would display in the wild.

Four of my guys do the "carry and meow" thing: three girls and one boy. Molly Maguire is most likely to do it right after one of us leaves for work and Flynn and Mosaic most often do it when I'm getting ready for bed or have just gone to bed. Flynn is like clockwork: she starts carrying around her now almost-bald stuffed hedgehog and squeaking the minute I head for the shower in the evening. Both she and her sister like to bring toys to bed with them and we often wake up to find stuffed mice and whatnot all over the bed.

Dubh does it less frequently and there doesn't seem to be a pattern with him.

All four of them have very strong preferences as to which toys they do this with.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona