Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

This Was the Only Response I Could Think Of

(1/5) > >>

BeagleMommy:
My gym plays fantastic music over its PA system.  I took dance classes for years as a child and was on my high school's dance team.  Therefore, I have pretty good posture and (so I've been told) I unconsciously walk in time to whatever music might be playing.

I finished my workout and was walking to the stand where the cleaning solution is kept when a woman approached me.  I had never met this woman before and she was new to the gym.  She said:

"You know, just because you don't have as much weight to lose as some of us doesn't mean you should strut around here with your nose in the air.  Your body's not perfect either."  She stood there staring at me as if she expected me to say something in response.

All I could think of was  :o.  I stood there blinking stupidly for a few minutes then walked away to clean the machine I had used.  I kept thinking "I think she wants me to apologize for having good posture".

Maybe I should have used "That's an interesting assumption" but I was so flabbergasted that I couldn't come up with a response.  Now I'm wondering if I am unconsciously looking conceited.  I have about 10 pounds to go to reach my goal weight but I don't feel I'm better than anyone else.  Most of the people there are very encouraging toward one another.

Am I overthinking this?

dawbs:
you're overthinking.

She rudely approached a stranger and 1-criticized her posture 2-commented on her weight 3-critcized her body and  4-showed her behind.

Approaching management and saying "hey, I don't want to cause problems, but the lady w/ the purple leotard this morning...I wanted you to know *insert tale here*; in case she's driving away your customers.  I was VERY uncomfortable that she was criticizing my body to me"

TurtleDove:
How obnoxious. 

LB:
I think she's feeling bad about herself and she's rudely taking it out on others.

Judah:

--- Quote from: LB on July 09, 2012, 03:57:31 PM ---I think she's feeling bad about herself and she's rudely taking it out on others.

--- End quote ---

Exactly.  This woman has issues and she's taking them out on you. Silence was the perfect response.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version