Author Topic: This Was the Only Response I Could Think Of  (Read 13240 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: This Was the Only Response I Could Think Of
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 12:42:35 AM »
What a sad, pathetic, insecure little human being.   ???  Sorry that you encountered her. 

I probably would have been silent too - desperately trying to process the bizarre insult and outrageous rudeness of the person in front of me!    The only polite verbal responses I can think of would be along the lines of "Excuse me??!!" said in a "WHAT did you say!!"  shocked tone. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Xandraea

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 12:55:51 AM »
What a sad, pathetic, insecure little human being.   

When I saw this my first thought was Buzz Lightyear telling Woody, "You are a sad, strange little man. You have my pity."  Am I the only one?  :)   (Also perhaps a semi-appropriate response this woman, with the gender switched of course.)

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 01:12:39 AM »
What a sad, pathetic, insecure little human being.   

When I saw this my first thought was Buzz Lightyear telling Woody, "You are a sad, strange little man. You have my pity."  Am I the only one?  :)   (Also perhaps a semi-appropriate response this woman, with the gender switched of course.)

Lol!     Yep that's about right -  I don't say it in a mean way, I definitely say it in a head shaking, you have my pity way.   

How unhappy a person must be to take offense just because a skinnier, prettier person happens to walk past them!  Her insides must just be eaten up with self-loathing and misery. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
The fact that you took dance classes is irrelevant - You were walking across the room (admittedly, a heinously conceited act  ;) ) and some whack-a-doodle with issues decided to drop her crazy on you.

Don't give it another thought.

Calypso

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
I've been taking ballroom dance lessons for 6 years or so and my instructor suggests practicing dance posture always, so it becomes automatic, or "muscle memory".  It sounds like you learned the same thing in your years of dancing/dance team.  I for one, always admire those who walk with poise and feel I can often recognize a dancer now by their walk.  It's a good thing!  (I also tend to walk to the beat of whatever music is playing, too)

I agree with others, that lady was out of line, and your complete silence was definitely the right response.  If she approaches you again I'd definitely go to management and let them know she may be making others uncomfortable as well with her bold negativity toward others.

I can always tell a bellydancer or someone who does Nia because they have what I think of as a "soft" back (I don't know how else to call it; it's this lovely, relaxed yet elegant way of holding your back muscles). I *love* the way the different types of dance "mark" their practitioner's forms...

OP, you did just perfectly, although "whergle" or "buh" would have been ok too  8)
And congrats on becoming so fit!

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 12:40:52 AM »
I think you did well. I'm pretty sure my response would have been "what the ehell are you talking about?"

Dollenganger

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »
I would have said "well  -- that was excellent -- You take your medication today?

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 08:04:35 PM »
I would have said "well  -- that was excellent -- You take your medication today?

No. That serves no purpose.  Not only is it also rude, but why engage with someone like that and possibly escalate the situation into a war of words? Let it go.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Shea

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 10:55:05 AM »
It seems that this woman feels bad about herself and decided to take out her insecurities on you. Sure, maybe it would have been good to say "What an interesting assumption", but confronted with that level of rude, insulting presumption, who among us would have the presence of mind to respond in such a way? Not me, probably. Complete silence was a perfectly appropriate way of handling it.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 03:58:27 PM »
Seriously, if I saw you "strutting" around to music while working out, I wouldn't have thought you were conceited.  I would've thought you were just having fun - something that rude lady should try once in a while!