Author Topic: Am I rude for ignoring the PA comments?  (Read 6534 times)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Am I rude for ignoring the PA comments?
« on: July 11, 2012, 03:36:45 PM »
I have a confession to make.  If I find something funny, interesting, a biting commentary on the state of society in general or it's a cat picture - I will share it on facebook.  People are more than welcome to block my feed, it does not offend me.

There is one person who about once a week posts comments about how they hate Facebook stuff that is shared. 

Am I being rude for continuing to share things that I like and think most of my friends would like?  Kittens, how can you not like kittens?

Betelnut

Re: Am I rude for ignoring the PA comments?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 03:41:39 PM »
No, not rude.  I would say that 90% of the posts that I get from friends on Facebook are reposts of videos, articles, etc. usually of a political nature.  That is what Facebook is used for by a lot of people.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

penelope2017

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:42:14 PM »
They post that on their own wall as a general status? or they post on your wall specifically targeting yours?

If they post it on their own wall, it's a general statement and not directed at you at all.  I'm not sure why you'd think they were.

If it is on your own wall about your specific shares, then it goes a little beyond PA. I'd block the person.

Amava

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 04:00:36 PM »
Absolutely not. They can hate and huff all they want, but you post what you want.

O'Dell

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »
Why are they on facebook then? ???

I think sometimes comments like that are PA comments directed at someone else...someone who goes overboard on whatever they are complaining about. I take it as an opportunity to check myself: Does she mean me? Am I "sharing" excessively? Any gross or annoying things I'm putting out there? Am I doing whatever more than the people around me? Nope, she must mean someone else!

As long as *I* know that I'm being reasonable in my behavior I ignore it.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 04:23:01 PM »

There is one person who about once a week posts comments about how they hate Facebook stuff that is shared. 

They obviously don't "get" Facebook.   :o
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 04:47:33 PM »
I'm not even ON FaceBook, and I think they're being very strange.

"Here, I'll join this site so I can connect with everything my friends are thinking about at each moment. OH NO! They're telling me everything they're thinking about at each moment!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 05:05:27 PM »
They post that on their own wall as a general status? or they post on your wall specifically targeting yours?

If they post it on their own wall, it's a general statement and not directed at you at all.  I'm not sure why you'd think they were.

If it is on your own wall about your specific shares, then it goes a little beyond PA. I'd block the person.

It's not so much that I think they are directed at me per se, but if they are really upset at people sharing stuff, I know I am a contributor, because https://www.facebook.com/henrilechatnoir and kittens!

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 08:01:08 PM »
It's not so much that I think they are directed at me per se, but if they are really upset at people sharing stuff, I know I am a contributor, because https://www.facebook.com/henrilechatnoir and kittens!

Henri and kittens make up a pretty substantial percentage of my Facebook posts. Your friend would hate me.  :D

As others have said, it sounds like this person doesn't really understand what Facebook is all about. No, you aren't rude for sharing stuff (especially kitten pictures). Perhaps she (or he) is annoyed because she receives the same stuff in her feed more than once, but that's just the way Facebook works.

I would say you're free to continue to share kitten pictures as you see fit and ignore the whining.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Iris

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:29:15 PM »
I don't like the kitten pictures, or the soppy stuff about what 'true love' is and so on. I LOVE the stuff other people share with geeky jokes and pictures. Those are my personal preferences entirely, and my fb friends don't need to know about them. I have a couple of fb friends who go reeeaaaally over the top on the sappy (to me) stuff and I just hid their 'likes and shares' from my feed. It's that easy. I can still catch up on their news but I don't have my feed filled with stuff I don't personally enjoy.

WHY this person is making such heavy work out of such a simply process I really don't understand. Ignore them at will.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

thedudeabides

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:49:59 PM »
No.

TheVapors

• Oh my! I should lay down...
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 03:17:32 AM »
You can do whatever pleases you with your Facebook page.
They can do whatever pleases them with their Facebook page.

If either you or the friend don't like what the other person is doing with their Facebook page there are plenty of options available to block or filter content.

Enjoy sharing kittens! May it bring you much Facebook joy!

Margo

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 09:05:51 AM »
POD to all the above. Ignoring her comments is fine.

If she comments to you specifically about sharing too many kittens, then you could, if you wished, respond with something like "friend, did you know you can 'hide' people's updates so they don't show in your timeline" but I don't think ignoring the comments completely is remotely rude and it's your facebook page, youcan post whatever you like.

I personally don't like game requests and so I have set up to ignore them. I'm not very interested in 'cute' pictures of people/animals I don't know, but the friends I have who pos those things *also* post other things,so I just scroll past the bits I'm not interested in, without commenting. It's not difficult.

Of course, if I could only convince **facebook** to display my newsfeed as 'recent items' not 'ramdon stories we have unilaterally decided are top stories' I would probaly see a lot fewer 'cute' posts, but I can't. It won't believe me when I tell it that is what I want...

pearls n purls

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 12:55:59 PM »
You can post what you like, but if you know someone is annoyed by the pictures, you can always post it so that person can't see it.  (friends only, except for xxx)

But of course the onus is really on the complainer.  They can unfollow your feed or just ignore the postings they don't like.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 11:38:50 AM »
I have a confession to make.  If I find something funny, interesting, a biting commentary on the state of society in general or it's a cat picture - I will share it on facebook.  People are more than welcome to block my feed, it does not offend me.

Am I being rude for continuing to share things that I like and think most of my friends would like?  Kittens, how can you not like kittens?

I consider this "vague-booking," a trend I truly dislike.