Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

Shunned by our Haitian neighbors for no reason

<< < (2/11) > >>

Phoebe:
Can't speak for the OP, but if this was my situation, I'd mention the facts of race/country of origin and ask if perhaps it was a cultural thing, i.e., not the proper kind of introduction or something.  Sometimes those facts *are* relevant.

Scuba_Dog:

--- Quote from: Phoebe on July 11, 2012, 06:04:44 PM ---Can't speak for the OP, but if this was my situation, I'd mention the facts of race/country of origin and ask if perhaps it was a cultural thing, i.e., not the proper kind of introduction or something.  Sometimes those facts *are* relevant.

--- End quote ---

That's what I was thinking.

hobish:

--- Quote from: Phoebe on July 11, 2012, 06:04:44 PM ---Can't speak for the OP, but if this was my situation, I'd mention the facts of race/country of origin and ask if perhaps it was a cultural thing, i.e., not the proper kind of introduction or something.  Sometimes those facts *are* relevant.

--- End quote ---

You just beat me to it.
I've gotten some advice here letting me know why i had made a Hindi Indian friend uncomfortable; and it did make a difference. It's the OP's first post, can we give him just a tiny bit of a break?

Moray:
That's why we're asking if it matters. I'm absolutely willing to believe it's innocent, but I'd really like to hear back from the OP if possible.

eastonp:

--- Quote from: VorpalBunny on July 11, 2012, 06:13:18 PM ---That's why we're asking if it matters. I'm absolutely willing to believe it's innocent, but I'd really like to hear back from the OP if possible.

--- End quote ---

I include it because I am aware of the potential for racial tension, and cultural difference. Pretending that race doesn't exist is a tacit form of racism in and of itself. Race does matter, and ignoring it doesn't help matters. Besides, we moved here because of that diversity, not to avoid it.

As far as I'm concerned, what matters more is that he's being crazy rude from my perspective. Just allowing for any other possibility. And that's why I mention it.

By the way, on the other side of them, a new Chinese family moved in. So I don't think they have lived next to them long enough to have noticed anything? No one else in the neighborhood talks to them much. But then again, we're the only ones just next door, and thus the only one meeting them from across the back fence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version