Author Topic: What is the etiquette of political discussions on Facebook  (Read 3275 times)

SuperMartianRobotGirl

What is the etiquette of political discussions on Facebook
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »
When someone makes a political comment you disagree with, do you respond? Or just ignore? Is anything posted on Facebook open to response?

What if the comment is false or misleading, and not just a difference of opinion?

Are there any etiquette rules about this kind of thing?

Nika

Re: What is the etiquette of political discussions on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 05:22:37 PM »
I would just ignore. I, admittedly, do not look kindly upon people who post political things because I find they usually enjoy it when people disagree with them so that they have an 'excuse' to argue.

That isn't a very charitable opinion, I know, but in my experience that's how it always seems to go down. Best to just ignore it and move on.
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »
I hide the particular posting so I don't have to keep seeing it.  I don't want to hide PEOPLE if they also say non-political things, but my blood boils every time I read stupid insulting lies - so I just hide it.

I'm hiding a lot of stuff these days  >:(.

Jones

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 05:55:24 PM »
If it's completely false, like those made-up statistics, I might point out the truth--with references. Usually, though, I just ignore.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »
I hide the particular posting so I don't have to keep seeing it.  I don't want to hide PEOPLE if they also say non-political things, but my blood boils every time I read stupid insulting lies - so I just hide it.

I'm hiding a lot of stuff these days  >:(.

That's what I do too.  I hide the individual posting and then I pretend I never saw it.

O'Dell

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 07:21:54 PM »
When someone makes a political comment you disagree with, do you respond? Or just ignore? Is anything posted on Facebook open to response?

What if the comment is false or misleading, and not just a difference of opinion?

Are there any etiquette rules about this kind of thing?

I respond the same way I would if I were talking to the person face-to-face with witnesses. If I'd normally argue with them or point out a mistake, then I will online as well. You should be polite in *how* you express your opinion, of course.

More and more though, I ignore people in real life when the spout political stuff, so I ignore them on FB too. But that's my personal choice because I've developed a low tolerance for that sort of thing and not because of any etiquette rule.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 07:44:32 PM »
If it is false I might refer them to snopes. I might also ask a clarifying question to get them to  fine tune their perspective.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 08:43:25 PM »
If it's an urban legend I'll post a Snopes link. If I just strongly disagree with it, I'll ignore it and possibly hide it, and defriend the person if they do it all the time.

MasterofSquirrels

• hi.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 08:51:18 PM »
I will post political things on my wall. I don't do it all the time, but, there are some issues I am passionate about. I feel that since they are posted as my status, they are open for discussion. I believe that for all status updates. If you post it, and I can see it, I can comment on it.

I enjoy political discussion and as long as those that don't agree with me are respectful, I have no problems. I will delete comments that are inflammatory or don't add to the discussion. Saying "you are an idiot for believing in X" doesn't go over well with me, and will get you "de-friended".

If you post something that I don't agree with on your wall, I will either ignore it, or respond respectfully. I view facebook as an open conversation. 

Penguin_ar

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »
It depends on the poster (can you have a polite discussion with them, or will they take it personally if you disagree), and my mood at the time.  If I think I may get heated/ annoyed at reading what could turn out to be a lengthy comment chain, I "hide" the topic.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
I ignore, but if it's repeated then I hide them.   I just don't have the energy to get into hostility or debate on facebook, and as it's such a public place I find that it's hard to have a civil argument without other people jumping on the bandwagon.    e.g. what could be a civil argument with my friend could get jumped upon by my friend's radical friends as well, who don't know me nor my views from a bar of soap. 

In person I will absolutely take people up on inaccurate or inflammatory political statements, but facebook is just a hotbed of misinformation. At the end of the day, I respect people's right to post what they want on their FB wall. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Take2

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 10:29:07 PM »
I am not friends with people who post highly political stuff on Facebook. If someone is my Facebook friend and spouts politics, they are probably an older relative that I would bean dip irl if they got political, so I just ignore on FB.

My brother goes a bit further than I am comfortable with on his FB political commentary, but I  ignore him on Facebook, as the conversations we have about politics in person might look mean without tone of voice clues.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 10:50:08 PM »
I am not friends with people who post highly political stuff on Facebook. If someone is my Facebook friend and spouts politics, they are probably an older relative that I would bean dip irl if they got political, so I just ignore on FB.

My brother goes a bit further than I am comfortable with on his FB political commentary, but I  ignore him on Facebook, as the conversations we have about politics in person might look mean without tone of voice clues.

What is it about the older relatives and their grandstanding?    It's not that my peers aren't into politics - many of them are - but they don't post pushy, judgmental things the way my Uncles and others in his age range do.  I'm not sure if it's generational or just a coincidence.   Drives me nuts.  I thought my Uncle was just "enthusiastic" about his cause, until recently he actually posted some kind of test that shows what end of the spectrum you're at, and shared it with a comment along the lines of "I hope you're all nearer to <particular political area> like me!" with a very judgmental tone.   Ick.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Allyson

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 12:07:42 AM »
I am fine with political discussion on Facebook. Some people love discussing it, and while others don't, they're free to skip over it. I think people really should try to keep civil, but that goes without saying. However, I have absolutely no patience for people who post something inflammatory, then get angry when people disagree.

If you post something political/controversial, be prepared to discuss it! That doesn't mean you need to accept abusive replies, when you weren't abusive, but it does mean you don't get to post something super political, then act shocked and upset when someone politely disagrees.

And since some people hate political discussions, it's rude to go onto someone else's wall or status and make something political.

Reason

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with any kind of discussion anywhere, as long as it remains civil. That is, if someone says that all people who think purple is a pretty color are a waste of air the discussion ceases to be civil and is no longer worth having.

But simply providing facts and reasons as to an opinion and accepting counter facts without resorting to inflammatory language is no reason for anyone's blood to boil, as the case may be.