Author Topic: Made Up Words You'd Like to See Stick Around  (Read 3793 times)

Free Range Hippy Chick

Re: Made Up Words You'd Like to See Stick Around
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 09:12:18 AM »
Many years ago, Douglas Adams (of Hitchiker fame) also wrote a book called "The Meaning of Liff".

In the book, he takes unusual place names and makes up what *he* thought their definitions should be.

My favourite by far was "Minchinghampton" - the look on a gentleman's face when he has zipped up his trousers without due care and attention.

The Liff I use is 'Exeter'. You know when you've taken something to bits and put it back together again, and then you realise that you have a piece left over and you don't know what it is? That's an Exeter.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 07:52:04 PM »
I use the word befuzzled a lot.  An alternative version is confuzzled.

I also like confoozled
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 08:08:29 PM »
Wonkiedoodle

Complisult...this is what my DH calls an insult veiled in the form of a compliment

Also a big fan of craptastic and ginormous.  Though I am fairly certain ginormous did make it into the dictionary.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Gyburc

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 06:19:56 AM »
Many years ago, Douglas Adams (of Hitchiker fame) also wrote a book called "The Meaning of Liff".

In the book, he takes unusual place names and makes up what *he* thought their definitions should be.

My favourite by far was "Minchinghampton" - the look on a gentleman's face when he has zipped up his trousers without due care and attention.

The Liff I use is 'Exeter'. You know when you've taken something to bits and put it back together again, and then you realise that you have a piece left over and you don't know what it is? That's an Exeter.

DH and I still refer to the defective wheel on a shopping trolley (there's always one!) as a Motspur. It's derived from Tottenham Hotspur, if I recall correctly.
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 07:57:56 AM »
I saw this one the other day...

Askhole: A person who constantly asks for your advice, then just ignores what you've told them.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 01:45:19 PM »

Askhole: A person who constantly asks for your advice, then just ignores what you've told them.
tee hee hee.  Love this one
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 05:15:24 PM »
Glurge.

This term showed up on Snopes about ten years ago. 

It has been described as something that is supposed to bring a  tear to your eye and a smile to your lips. Glurge is intended to be heart-warming.  Instead, it gives you heartburn.

Glurge has also been described as a small cup of chicken soup with four tablespoons of sugar added. 

You get the idea. 

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »
A friend's word for a lot of something is "beaucouptudinous." I use it a lot.

I scare easily when I'm riding shotgun in a car, because I'm not inside the driver's head, so I'm totally unaware he's about to pass that slow car in front of us ... all I see is our car closing in on it at a rapid rate and ohmygoodnesswe'regoingtocrash! I call this "passengeranoia."

I share that affliction and am totally going to spread it around now.

ETA: LOL, i mean spread the word, not the affliction, although that could be a good time, as well  >:D
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

wendelenn

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 01:25:40 AM »

That's a great one!  It also reminds me of a funny typo I found here on Ehell once, which I think should also be a real word:

Ignoranus. 
(Definition: someone who's ignorant and an a-hole at the same time!)

I am also fond of "hangry" which I've seen quite a few people use around the 'net: when hunger is making you angry.
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »
Another Ehell typo that should stick around"

Deer Snot Uprising

especially since the poster has no idea what the orignal text was!

Pioneer

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »
Thanks for expanding my vocabulary!

I love treats that are Yummiful and Filled with Deliciousity.

"Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." -- Will Rogers

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 03:54:12 PM »
I don't remember if it's been posted yet, but I am very fond of confusitated.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

scotcat60

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 06:28:17 AM »
They all sound like perfectly cromulent words to me.

Cutenoob

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 06:43:33 PM »
Schnipsles (pronounced shnip-sulz)
Little snips and flakes and small debris from cutting paper, metal flakes in a fluid, little itty bits and bobs that don't need to be there.

"Mom! Danny didn't clean his schnipsles up from his construction paper project!"
"Honey, the transmission fluid has schnipsles in it, you need to change it NOW"
"There are still schnipsles on the floor from your decorations"

We made that up in our family. We still use it.

Oh. Shrimple.
Shrink + wrinkle or shrimp and wrinkle. Our cat Pooky was a few bricks short of a load. She LOVED tapered candles, and would lean into them at the flame to investigate. You would smell hair burning - her whiskers had "shrimpled" up.
"hey Mom, Pooky is all shrimpled again"
"that paper got wet, it's all shrimpled up"

Once these are explained to people, they stick.

MizB

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 07:35:07 PM »
This one is borrowed but I love it. Whopperjawed it means completely bent out of shape crooked.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797