Author Topic: declining facebook invitations  (Read 5252 times)

katycoo

Re: declining facebook invitations
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 02:20:16 AM »
It depends on the type of event.

EG. I handpick invitees for a sales party, but I don't need a personalised declination.

My birthday party OTOH I'd like a response, even if vague "Sorry I can't make it"

Allyson

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »
Definitely depends on the event. A 40 person party or similar, I will probably just click 'no' or not click anything. A six or seven person event where my presence was deliberately included, I would say something more.

I think Facebook is a bad way to invite people for more 'serious' things because invitations can easily get missed, though.

Jones

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 12:19:57 PM »
Is there any polite way to tell people to stop sending you requests in Farmville or other similar areas?  I have no desire to get involved with any of that stuff and this is getting on my last nerve.

I have the solution to that one! Go to the app center, in the list on the left hand side of the screen. Its near the bottom. Click on that, and the game requests will appear. There is an X beside of each one. Click the X, and Facebook will ask you if you want to block all game requests from that particular person, or the game itself. Just click on "Block Farmville" and no more Farmville requests will come to you. :)

I recently discovered the "-Ville" games were very sneakily telling me that people were playing and wanted to be my "neighbor," when in fact the people listed were NOT playing and NOT interested in it whatsoever. Your FB friends may think they are helping you out by sending you stuff when you aren't interested. Just quietly block Farm/Castle/Cityville etc. on your App center and don't worry about any big announcements.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 12:51:31 PM »
Is there any polite way to tell people to stop sending you requests in Farmville or other similar areas?  I have no desire to get involved with any of that stuff and this is getting on my last nerve.

I have the solution to that one! Go to the app center, in the list on the left hand side of the screen. Its near the bottom. Click on that, and the game requests will appear. There is an X beside of each one. Click the X, and Facebook will ask you if you want to block all game requests from that particular person, or the game itself. Just click on "Block Farmville" and no more Farmville requests will come to you. :)

If you can say "block all game requests from that particular person," I'd choose that. Because people who play Farmville will probably start up with Hidden Chronicles.

Also know that sometimes it's easy to end up clicking on "invite your friends" without realizing that's what you've done. And new game players often don't realize what happens when they do that.

squeakers

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 11:10:27 PM »

If you can say "block all game requests from that particular person," I'd choose that. Because people who play Farmville will probably start up with Hidden Chronicles.

Also know that sometimes it's easy to end up clicking on "invite your friends" without realizing that's what you've done. And new game players often don't realize what happens when they do that.

It does actually have that option "Ignore all requests from Name".  I never use that because there might be some app I would want to use and they might invite me to it/I might ask them.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

JacklynHyde

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 10:06:46 PM »
If I am close to the person issuing the invitation and sincerely wish I could make the event, I send my regrets with a little note.  "Sorry I'm missing your tea party, but my mother-in-law has already requested our presence at her home that day."  If it's to a major, gigantic event with hundreds of attendees, nobody really cares if I show or not, so why mention it?