Author Topic: Canadian bird  (Read 2466 times)

Barney girl

Canadian bird
« on: June 29, 2012, 06:18:59 PM »
can any of you help identify a bird I saw in Quebec City,so I can write up my album? I can't insert the photo here, but it was in a park, sitting on top of a lamppost. It was about the size of a blackbird, with a brown back and a rust red chest.
I've tried checking online, but the only helpful website, which allowed me to fill in those details I knew suggested it was a type of duck. I may be no good at birds, but I do know a duck when I see one!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Canadian bird
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 06:22:51 PM »
Did you look up an American Robin, by any chance?  It seems a little too simplistic an answer, though.  And yes, there was no way it was a duck!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Barney girl

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:40:20 PM »
That's it - thank you!  :)  I had no idea the American Robin was so much bigger than the European one. I knew they were different birds, but had assumed they looked similar

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:30:16 PM »
Woot!  Glad I nailed it.  My Dad is the one who is the bird expert so I've picked up a little by osmosis.  Plus, I've had robins nesting under my deck before.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:32:44 PM »
We call them Robin Red Breasts. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »
We call them Robin Red Breasts.

That's what my parents called them (they were Canadian).

OP, the American Robin is the Michigan state bird, my home state, so I think they're awesome.  :)

Barney girl

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 07:09:59 PM »
I thought it looked lovely, and quite bold in its attitude, that's why I took a photo.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 08:25:37 PM »
I grew up in New Jersey. Seeing a robin meant that Spring was here!