Author Topic: Grammar quirks  (Read 38747 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Grammar quirks
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »
I twitch when someone tells me she gets up at the unseemly hour of 5:00 AM in the morning. Yup, if it's 5:00 AM, then it's the morning  ::)

This reminds me of the story of two future Canadian Prime Ministers, early in their career, sharing a rail trip to a political destination. Politician A was something of a wunderkind, and had established a reputation as a rising star and an intellectual. Politician B was from a poor family, raised in a small town, and was quite excited to be sharing the same rail car as Politician A.

However, when he entered the car, Politician A barely looked up from his notes to say hello. Desperate to make some conversation, Politician B noted, "It's raining outside."

WIthout looking up, Politican A replied, "If it's raining, it has to be outside."

They spent the rest of the trip in total silence.

(Canadians will probably be able to figure out who these two gentlemen were.)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Pippen

« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »
That Google Chrome will not let me change the default settings to UK English on their spell check. The little red line under correctly spelled words drives me a bit nutty.

wendelenn

« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »
Oh, and after you walk down the "isle", you get married at the "alter". It's an ALTAR, people.
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2012, 12:02:09 PM »
Speaking of that, there was a piece on the local news about a supermarket that was starting a special place for men to make shopping easier for them.  This area concentrates all the things men want for their Man Caves in a compact space.  They call it the 'Man Isle'. 

This does make sense in connection with the Man Cave but, the way things are these days, you really have to wonder if they meant 'Man Aisle'. 

pwv

« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »
I get irritated when people write about the "breaks" on their car.  It's brakes, not "breaks."

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2012, 02:36:54 PM »
Speaking of that, there was a piece on the local news about a supermarket that was starting a special place for men to make shopping easier for them.  This area concentrates all the things men want for their Man Caves in a compact space.  They call it the 'Man Isle'. 

This does make sense in connection with the Man Cave but, the way things are these days, you really have to wonder if they meant 'Man Aisle'. 

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the "man whatever" construction? Man cave is a particular hate.

wendelenn

« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2012, 03:38:02 PM »

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the "man whatever" construction? Man cave is a particular hate.

I hate "manscaping" for male spa-type grooming, etc.
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

cabbageweevil

« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »

And let's not get onto that island which is roughly equidistant between England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales...

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #173 on: July 31, 2012, 07:12:37 PM »
That Google Chrome will not let me change the default settings to UK English on their spell check. The little red line under correctly spelled words drives me a bit nutty.

Amusingly, my blackberry sometimes thinks I do want UK English -- it gives me the little red squiggles under "favorite" and tries to tell me I should say "favourite".  (I do adore the ou construction and often use it, but hey, in texting, every letter counts!)

Moonie

« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
Board and bored.  You can be bored, but not board...unless you're dead, then maybe you will be a bit stiff :) .

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2012, 11:51:06 AM »
There are some other things that bother me. 

ATM machines
ISBN numbers
PIN numbers. 

The 'M' in ATM stands for 'machine'.
The 'N' in ISBN and PIN stands for 'number'.

'Mount Fujiyama' nettles me too.  It's Fujiyama or Mt. Fuji because 'yama' means 'mountain'. 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2012, 12:00:28 PM »
"Backup" used as a verb. Also applies to "setup." I think this comes from the tech world. Those are nouns, people! You should back up your work every night, so you have a backup if your hard drive fails.

I see this sort of thing a lot in the directions that my co-workers write.  We're techical people, but apparently I'm the only one who can spell.

"Setup your computer so that......"    ARGH!!  It's "Set   Up    Your computer so that the setup works for you"
Set up - a verb with an object
Setup - noun
You Back Up your data so you will have a Backup when you need to restore.

They just don't get it, and don't care! 

On one list that I read, some people are so vaguely acquainted with the concept of literacy that it actually gives me a headache to try and translate what they wrote into an actual idea.  I once cut and pasted a paragraph to a friend and she said, 'You're making that up!'.   No, sorry.  That was really what she wrote.

In my own defense, though, I did use zombie as a verb once.  I work in a place where a lot of people stagger in at very early hours.  There's no other way to describe them but 'you should see the numbers of people who zombie across the parking lot at 5am!'

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2012, 12:11:10 PM »
People who don’t know the difference between “effect” and “affect”.

Accept and Except.   Makes my eyes twitch. 

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2012, 12:15:17 PM »
There are some other things that bother me. 

ATM machines
ISBN numbers
PIN numbers. 

The 'M' in ATM stands for 'machine'.
The 'N' in ISBN and PIN stands for 'number'.

'Mount Fujiyama' nettles me too.  It's Fujiyama or Mt. Fuji because 'yama' means 'mountain'.

Huh, I didn't know that.  I will now henceforth correct myself because I get just as irritated about the redundancy of things like ATM machines and PIN numbers.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
In my own defense, though, I did use zombie as a verb once.  I work in a place where a lot of people stagger in at very early hours.  There's no other way to describe them but 'you should see the numbers of people who zombie across the parking lot at 5am!'

That is a perfect description. I love it.

I don't mind people converting nouns into verbs or verbs into adjectives as long as it has a purpose. In your case, "zombie" perfectly conveys the idea. Sure, you could say "you should see the numbers of people who cross the parking lot like zombies at 5am" but it is a much clunkier sentence.