Author Topic: Grammar quirks  (Read 46903 times)

EmmaJ.

Re: Grammar quirks
« Reply #225 on: August 14, 2012, 03:45:52 PM »
My friend refers to her religious leader as "Pasture Jones".

Oh Joy

« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »
Me too. (Although to be grammatically correct, it should be "I, also!"  But apparently teachers do such a good job of squelching "Me and John went to the store" that people ever after say "John and I" even when it should be "John and me."  DH tried to argue that one with me at one point, that it should always be "John and I" because it was a plural. ???

Am I the only one who, as a child listening to adults correct other kids' grammar, tired of hearing 'Just how mean is John?'  (me and => me an' => mean)

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #227 on: August 14, 2012, 05:10:09 PM »
Sorry if anyone already posted this...a little fun for you all.

http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling  (see the bottom of that page for more grammar comics)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #228 on: August 14, 2012, 06:19:56 PM »
Me too. (Although to be grammatically correct, it should be "I, also!"  But apparently teachers do such a good job of squelching "Me and John went to the store" that people ever after say "John and I" even when it should be "John and me."  DH tried to argue that one with me at one point, that it should always be "John and I" because it was a plural. ???

Am I the only one who, as a child listening to adults correct other kids' grammar, tired of hearing 'Just how mean is John?'  (me and => me an' => mean)

That just made me think about another one that drives nuts me. I detest when people say real and actually mean really.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #229 on: August 14, 2012, 09:14:49 PM »
It was drummed into my head in school that I should never use very, because it limits a vocabulary. I very seldom ( >:D) break that rule, but I always twitch when I see "very unique." ARGH! Bad! No!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #230 on: August 14, 2012, 10:18:37 PM »
Me:  How are you?

Other person:  I'm fine. Yourself?

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cabbageweevil

« Reply #231 on: August 15, 2012, 03:59:37 AM »

That's kind of appropriate, perhaps -- does his best to lead his flock into green pastures...?

EmmaJ.

« Reply #232 on: August 15, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »

That's kind of appropriate, perhaps -- does his best to lead his flock into green pastures...?

Heehee - I do have to fight the urge to say "moooo" when she talks about him.   ;D

pinkyblue

« Reply #233 on: August 15, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »
Oh, another one - "tenant" instead of "tenet."  Your philosophy/religion doesn't have renters.  :)

scotcat60

« Reply #234 on: August 15, 2012, 11:05:04 AM »
children need to know that people aren't judged by how they spell".

I know this was incredibly far back in the thread, but after reading through all 7 pages, my jaw is still hanging over the bolded phrase. Please tell me that teacher is no longer manipulating the malleable minds of our young.

"You can't help respecting anybody who can spell Tuesday, even if  he doesn't spell it right. But spelling isn't everything" (Rabbit in" The House at Pooh Corner)

Perhaps the teacher was a fan of A.A.Milne?

scotcat60

« Reply #235 on: August 15, 2012, 11:11:51 AM »
I once read a comment by someone who said "If I would have told you what went on, you wouldn't have believed me"

Surely all they needed to say was "If I told you", or even "Had I told you, you would not believe me."

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #236 on: August 15, 2012, 11:24:02 AM »
I once read a comment by someone who said "If I would have told you what went on, you wouldn't have believed me"

Surely all they needed to say was "If I told you", or even "Had I told you, you would not believe me."

Or "If I told you what happened, you wouldn't believe me."
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Dr. F.

« Reply #237 on: August 15, 2012, 11:56:01 AM »
I mourn the loss of the adjectival past participle.  Now I see "can food" instead of "canned food" regularly in grocery stores, and even in one local library, "unshelf books" instead of "unshelved books".

Yes! Yes! The "handicap" parking space and the "ice" tea! Arggh!

Another one I see a lot: "bran-new." Because everyone knows that nothing can be newer than bran?

One that got to me just the other day: "Shave Ice". An entire industry has lost their 'd'.

The one that kills me is "old-fashion." NO. "old fashionED." You see this on signs throughout the midwest and southeast.

Oh Joy

« Reply #238 on: August 15, 2012, 04:16:47 PM »
I didn't re-read the whole thread to see if this had been addressed, but I don't recall it.

I do an inner eyeroll when people start a statement with 'Honestly,...' or 'To tell the truth,...'  Do you lie otherwise?  Next time, try 'Frankly,...' or 'To be blunt...'  Please?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #239 on: August 15, 2012, 04:23:34 PM »
I didn't re-read the whole thread to see if this had been addressed, but I don't recall it.

I do an inner eyeroll when people start a statement with 'Honestly,...' or 'To tell the truth,...'  Do you lie otherwise?  Next time, try 'Frankly,...' or 'To be blunt...'  Please?

It's not necessarily that they lie, but they could not tell the whole truth each and every time.  Like you said, blunt, but it's more honest than what they would normally be.  Doesn't mean it doesn't bother you, though.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.