Author Topic: Grammar quirks  (Read 47835 times)

CakeEater

Re: Grammar quirks
« Reply #255 on: August 27, 2012, 06:13:43 AM »
I don't know if it's regional but it's getting more and more common in news reports and published non-fiction.  It's one thing to see it in novels.  It's quite another to find it in magazines and newspapers.

Very true.

crella

« Reply #256 on: August 27, 2012, 06:50:00 AM »
Itís voilŗ.

Not wah-la. Not walla. Not viola.

Voilŗ.

I can excuse voila, if accents are beyond your technical capability.

(Or, when in doubt, just use English)

Yes, my Gods where did 'wah-la' come from?

squeakers

« Reply #257 on: August 27, 2012, 08:03:04 AM »
Itís voilŗ.

Voilŗ.

Back in the day people wrote the above just to see how many people would immediately email in a correction (back when all there was were email lists) and it carried over to forums.  Nowadays? I don't know if people are still being silly or if they don't know the difference.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=253486
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #258 on: August 27, 2012, 08:31:11 AM »
Itís voilŗ.

Voilŗ.

Back in the day people wrote the above just to see how many people would immediately email in a correction (back when all there was were email lists) and it carried over to forums.  Nowadays? I don't know if people are still being silly or if they don't know the difference.

I see it on blogs a lot in contexts where I truly believe the authors donít know the difference.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #259 on: August 27, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »
Itís voilŗ.

Voilŗ.

I see it on blogs a lot in contexts where I truly believe the authors donít know the difference.
Since I don't read many blogs, I hear it instead of seeing it.   Usually pronounce 'walla', with the emphasis on the first syllable.  Certain people on TV use it all.the.time. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

crella

« Reply #260 on: August 28, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »
Itís voilŗ.

Voilŗ.

I see. I haven't heard it spoken yet, but have seen it in print, on FB in one of those 'I know who will post this and who won't'  messages.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #261 on: August 28, 2012, 08:09:24 PM »
I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but I keep coming across this one and it's driving me INSANE.

"discusting".

Between this one and "alot", my eye twitches. In a disgusting manner. A LOT.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Amava

« Reply #262 on: August 28, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »
I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but I keep coming across this one and it's driving me INSANE.

"discusting".

Between this one and "alot", my eye twitches. In a disgusting manner. A LOT.

But but but... what do you have against the alot?  :'(  He's so cute!
I believe he's been posted before, but here he is again:

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #263 on: August 28, 2012, 08:27:16 PM »
I saw that blog post, Amava, and thought it was hilarious.

Oh, and another one that I didn't see posted on here:

"Where you at?'

I don't know why people say this seemingly all the time now, but it drives me bonkers.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #264 on: August 29, 2012, 09:43:22 AM »
I notice this one in speech more than writing (and am guilty of it myself, when Iím not thinking things out before I say them):

"So-and-so and Iís belonging" instead of "So-and-soís and my belonging". Every time I realize Iíve said it I know I wince, but it just slips out out of habit.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #265 on: August 29, 2012, 01:14:48 PM »
I notice this one in speech more than writing (and am guilty of it myself, when Iím not thinking things out before I say them):

"So-and-so and Iís belonging" instead of "So-and-soís and my belonging". Every time I realize Iíve said it I know I wince, but it just slips out out of habit.
"Our belonging" works even better!
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #266 on: August 29, 2012, 01:20:56 PM »

"Our belonging" works even better!

There are occasions when you want to clarify whose it is, rather than sounding like you could be using the "royal our", so to speak.

For instance, "Please come to my twinís and my birthday party" sounds a bit different than "Please come to our birthday party", depending on who you are speaking with (and their familiarity with said twin, etc).

EmmaJ.

« Reply #267 on: August 29, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »
I'm at home, waiting for a delivery.  Turned on TV to pass the time a bit and heard my all-time most annoying TV show announcement:  Star Track. 

Yep, the commercial for the upcoming show was (paraphrased) as follows:  Coming up next starring William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy is the classic Star Track.

Grrr.  Trek means journey!

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »
I think this is more of a spelling issue than a grammar one - but gurl instead of girl.   

I know not everyone is a brilliant speller, but really, girl is not a hard one to learn!

If you didn't know how to spell a lot in my freshman class, you certainly did by the time you got out.  If you spelled it alot you were assigned 100 sentences using it correctly.  Separate was another favorite of my English professor's words - not seperate, aggh.

She wrote              A                                        Lot     on the chalkboard (just like that) and if you got it wrong, Lord help you because you were going to be busy.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2012, 04:13:50 PM »
I think this is more of a spelling issue than a grammar one - but gurl instead of girl.   

I know not everyone is a brilliant speller, but really, girl is not a hard one to learn!

If you didn't know how to spell a lot in my freshman class, you certainly did by the time you got out.  If you spelled it alot you were assigned 100 sentences using it correctly.  Separate was another favorite of my English professor's words - not seperate, aggh.

She wrote              A                                        Lot     on the chalkboard (just like that) and if you got it wrong, Lord help you because you were going to be busy.

My freshman English teacher was a fan of "Separate. It has 'a rat' in it. And youíd want to separate a rat from you, right?"