Author Topic: Grammar quirks  (Read 43922 times)

crella

Re: Grammar quirks
« Reply #285 on: September 02, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »
'A large amount of people' is really common but bugs me.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #286 on: September 05, 2012, 08:13:52 AM »
It is not a pant.  A pant is only one part of it, hence why it is called a pair of pants.  A pant is just one side, so please do not insist on finding me a pant that fits my shape as I want a pair of them sewn together.  I realize this is big in the garment/fashion industry and that only bothers me more because it seems to me that it came about to make those saying it feel more refined.  This may not be the case, they may have always called it a pant but it is only leaking out of the fashion/garment world recently, but that is still how I interpret it.  I also just think it sounds stupid.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #287 on: September 05, 2012, 01:04:38 PM »
Two of my real biggies: "He gots a apple." I've stomped on my kids and grandkids any time I hear one or the other.  My girls were quick to understand, but the grandsons were much more stubborn about it.

We're still working on when one uses "Bob and I" vs. "Bob and me."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #288 on: September 05, 2012, 01:07:34 PM »
It is not a pant.  A pant is only one part of it, hence why it is called a pair of pants.  A pant is just one side, so please do not insist on finding me a pant that fits my shape as I want a pair of them sewn together.  I realize this is big in the garment/fashion industry and that only bothers me more because it seems to me that it came about to make those saying it feel more refined.  This may not be the case, they may have always called it a pant but it is only leaking out of the fashion/garment world recently, but that is still how I interpret it.  I also just think it sounds stupid.

YES!!!

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #289 on: September 05, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »
Two of my real biggies: "He gots a apple." I've stomped on my kids and grandkids any time I hear one or the other.  My girls were quick to understand, but the grandsons were much more stubborn about it.

We're still working on when one uses "Bob and I" vs. "Bob and me."

I’ve lost count of the times we’ve corrected our 7 year old nephew from saying "Her wants the doll" or "Her wants to go get pizza with us too" when referencing his sister (or a woman). "She" just won’t sink in. I hope maybe his new teacher can get the point across.

wendelenn

« Reply #290 on: September 05, 2012, 01:36:50 PM »
I saw this right here on Ehell: "Your aloud to (do that)."

Come on, people! It's not that hard!!
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #291 on: September 05, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »
I am stunned by the many misspellings I see on public forums (here included). 

If you can't spell, please look it up and don't embarrass yourself and show everyone your ignorance.

Today I saw slauter for slaughter on Facebook, how embarrassing to publicly announce that you don't know how to spell. 

Geez, at least we have spell check right here on eHell, how bad does it look when you misspell because you didn't even utilize spell check?  Is it becoming a lost art to spell correctly??

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #292 on: September 05, 2012, 05:10:18 PM »
To be fair, sometimes people have autocorrect on their phones, and it messes up what they were intending to say. And I know I've made a mistake or two on here when I thought I was free of spelling mistakes and I actually wasn't.  :-[
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #293 on: September 05, 2012, 05:13:49 PM »
I am stunned by the many misspellings I see on public forums (here included). 

If you can't spell, please look it up and don't embarrass yourself and show everyone your ignorance.

Today I saw slauter for slaughter on Facebook, how embarrassing to publicly announce that you don't know how to spell. 

Geez, at least we have spell check right here on eHell, how bad does it look when you misspell because you didn't even utilize spell check?  Is it becoming a lost art to spell correctly??

However, in the example given... spell check would *not* catch "aloud", as it is actually a word.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #294 on: September 05, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »
Separate was another favorite of my English professor's words - not seperate, aggh.

My freshman English teacher was a fan of "Separate. It has 'a rat' in it. And you’d want to separate a rat from you, right?"
Depends -- some people have pet rats, and love them dearly  :) ...

Another remembering-device for "separate" which I've come across, goes: "Se and Rate were fighting; their Pa came in and separated them." (That, for me, is one of the kind re which it would seem simpler just to remember the information itself; but people's mileages vary.)

I agree. But I know some things like that do work, or you end up remembering them as they’re crammed into your head.

For instance, I can’t write onomatopoeia without my brain saying "O, no ma! To poe I a!" because said English teacher also drilled that into us.

I've always been amused that onomatopoeia isn't spelled exactly as it sounds.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2012, 09:15:59 AM »
A trend I see on some forums (fora?) is to put a space before all punctuation marks.

This , you would think , would make someone ' s post - what ' s the word I ' m looking for ? - oh , yeah, " hard to read . "
Words mean things.

scotcat60

« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2012, 11:35:34 AM »
I’ve lost count of the times we’ve corrected our 7 year old nephew from saying "Her wants the doll" or "Her wants to go get pizza with us too" when referencing his sister (or a woman).

Is he from the West Country of England? I had cousins from Dorset who would say "Her's upstairs ( or wherever) if asked the whereabouts of their sisters.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2012, 03:47:42 PM »
Twitching... my eye is twitching. Just saw this in an employment ad:

"Do you pour over the pages of the latest trend magazine?"

I dunno..... I guess I could pour my milk over it, if I really wanted to. :o
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #298 on: September 06, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »

That's the most brilliantly worded ad I've ever read!  I... wait, this IS for proofreaders, right?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #299 on: September 06, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »

That's the most brilliantly worded ad I've ever read!  I... wait, this IS for proofreaders, right?

That reminds me, actually - I went to a presentation a few years back aimed at writers.  The presenter announced at the beginning that there was at least one error in the handout and anyone who found it got a piece of candy.  Seemed like a great way to cover up having made a typo, to me!  Because you just know that if she hadn't said something, everyone would be asking questions afterwards like "Did you know you're missing a question mark on page three?"