Author Topic: Grammar quirks  (Read 47016 times)

mmswm

Re: Grammar quirks
« Reply #435 on: October 26, 2012, 01:50:45 AM »
NO the theatre is where you have your operation, the surgery is where your GP practices

No, the theater is where you go to watch movies.  :D

No, no, no.  The theater is a particular portion of a multi-faceted war.  For example:  My grandfather was stationed in the Pacific Theater during WWII.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #436 on: October 26, 2012, 02:34:38 AM »
Can I just say this is the most fun forum game I've ever been in?

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #437 on: October 26, 2012, 02:37:52 AM »
NO the theatre is where you have your operation, the surgery is where your GP practices

No, the theatre is where you go to see live plays.  The cinema is where you go to watch films.

Ah, the joys of a common language.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #438 on: October 26, 2012, 08:16:32 AM »

No, the theatre is where you go to see live plays.  The cinema is where you go to watch films.

No, you go to the cinema to watch movies.  You pick up your films from the photo lab.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #439 on: October 26, 2012, 09:08:24 AM »
No.  You go to then to lab to pick up your pictures. 

Films are movies with sub-titles that play in very small cinemas.  Disney makes movies, not films. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #440 on: October 26, 2012, 09:22:13 AM »
No, you use a SD card reader to get your pictures.  :D

starry diadem

« Reply #441 on: October 26, 2012, 11:54:40 AM »

No, you go to the cinema to watch movies.  You pick up your films from the photo lab.

Nope, I pick up my photos from the photo lab.  And the negatives.   At least I did, in the good old days before we digitalised our entire lives.

I only go to the movies when I'm in the US.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #442 on: October 26, 2012, 02:59:32 PM »
Films are movies with sub-titles that play in very small cinemas.  Disney makes movies, not films.

Thank you. The indiscriminate use of "film" is one of my big pet peeves. I once saw a magazine article titled The Films of Keanu Reeves. That dude most definitely does not make films. In fact, I would characterize most of them as flicks.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #443 on: October 26, 2012, 07:37:46 PM »
I meant to say you "drop off" your film at the photo lab, not pick up them.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #444 on: October 26, 2012, 08:38:40 PM »
Well, first you drop off your pictures at the photo lab,  then you pick up the prints. 

Ah, the old complaint about photo labs, 'Someday my prints will come'.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #445 on: October 26, 2012, 08:40:25 PM »
Well, first you drop off your pictures at the photo lab,  then you pick up the prints. 

I drop off my film and pick up my pictures.

wendelenn

« Reply #446 on: October 26, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »

Thank you. The indiscriminate use of "film" is one of my big pet peeves. I once saw a magazine article titled The Films of Keanu Reeves. That dude most definitely does not make films. In fact, I would characterize most of them as flicks.

Maybe, but flicks are also chocolate flavored candy (says this San Francisco-bred girl)

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/flicks.htm

Couldn't resist :)
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #447 on: October 26, 2012, 09:59:51 PM »

I drop off my film and pick up my pictures.
I used to do that, probably even in this century, but not this decade.

Victoria

scotcat60

« Reply #448 on: October 27, 2012, 10:44:59 AM »
I drop my film off at Boots, a large chemists chain in the UK, they sened it off to be developed, and then I collected the prints later on.

starry diadem

« Reply #449 on: October 27, 2012, 11:59:28 AM »
To get us back on track re grammar, I wanted to test your views on 'shined' versus 'shone'. 

I can't think of a situation where I'd use "shined" for the past tense of the verb 'to shine'.  I'd always use 'shone'.  So the moon shone in the sky; the light of the torch (flashlight, in the US) shone on the path to light our way etc.  I don't ever shine my shoes: I polish them.  To me, 'shined' sounds totally wrong. 

So, is this just another transatlantic difference that we should forget about or is there a real case to be made to regularise all our irregular verbs?  I can't say I'd like that concept, but I can understand that it would make English an easier language to learn!