Author Topic: Standardized Testing Etiquette  (Read 2886 times)

BeagleMommy

Standardized Testing Etiquette
« on: July 18, 2012, 10:03:09 AM »
Every other month I administer the teacher's exams for my state.  It's easy work and I make some extra money.  Here are a few tips for making the experience easy.

1.  Arrive on time or early.  There are usually multiple tests being given that day and they are on a timed schedule.  Tests are not allowed to run over because another test will be starting shortly after the first one dismisses.  If you are late you will not be given extra time or you may not be allowed to take the test if you arrive after it has started.

2.  The administer is usually required to read a set of standardized instructions.  Pay attention.  These instructions will tell you the rules for the test session.

3.  The test has standardized rules to ensure everyone is given a fair and equal shot at passing the exam.  Hence the term "standardized".

4.  If the rules say you have to remain until the administrator dismisses all test takers that's the rule.  (I had one woman leave to use the restroom and never return.  I had to invalidate her exam.)

5.  Do not complain that "other test centers" allowed you to leave when finished.  Obviously, the center you are currently at does not allow this.

6.  If there is a recorded portion of the test you will usually only be allowed to hear the material once.  Don't ask to have it repeated.

7.  If you need special accommodations you must request them prior to arriving at the test center.  One woman insisted she had to be allowed extra time because she had ADHD but had nothing to prove her diagnosis and just expected she'd be allowed extra time.  We would have gladly provided the extra time (in a separate room) had she provided documentation to the organization.

8.  If you are a no show/no call you will lose your fees.

9.  If the test does not permit calculators you will not be allowed to use one.

10.  If you are asked to be quiet - BE QUIET.

11.  You are responsible for bringing your own writing implements.

12.  No eating, drinking or chewing gum means exactly that.

13.  If you finish before time is called you should wait quietly.  Many test organizations will not permit you to do anything else while you're waiting.  It's to prevent cheating.

snowdragon

Re: Standardized Testing Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:41:31 AM »
14) do not bring guests with you and expect that they be allowed to sit in the test room. No your toddler, baby,elderly parent, bff, or whoever does not "have the right" to be there.

15) if you need a ride to get there  take your cell phone and have them with one so you can call them when needed...no they don't get to be in the test room either

16) if your ride, guest, whomever is waiting outside the room - they need to be quiet so as not to disturb the test-takers.

17) if you are a ride or guest of a test-taker - be quiet at all times.

18) Turn your cell phone off!

HorseFreak

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »
*Warning: GROSS*

This happened to someone I know: if you have food poisoning and are vomiting in the testing center, alert an attendant, don't attempt to complete a 4 hour exam while tossing your cookies every 10 minutes in the same room with a bunch of other people attempting to take exams.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »
Read the rules about reporting problems with the testing center before you go. A coworker and I took our ESL tests at the same center about a week apart.

Her problems
1. They started the test 1/2 hours late. Coworker has blood sugar issues and had timed meals that day so she would have problems during those 4 hours. Now that was thrown off and they wouldnt let her step out to eat a snack from her purse.

2. About an hour into the test the computers shut down and all answers were lost so they had to restart the test.

3. The proctors talked during the test.

My problems
1. A week before, I called and asked for a cross street or the name of town the center was in, becaused google maps and gps were showing 2 different locations. (Houston has swallowed many towns, street names are repeated, some start and stop, street numbers are repeated).They just kept repreating the street address. I called coworker and got directions from her.

2. They got mad at me because the fingerprint thing wouldn't register my thumbprint. I finally got them to let me wipe my hand on a damp paper towel, that worked. (I have problems with touch screens, I think because of my skin condition makes my skin super dry)

3. Another tester kept laughing very loudly, I was not the only one that asked the proctor to get him to be quiet. Every time he laughed my computer shook and I couldn't read the screen.

4. The proctors kept talking.

5. I finished in about 50 minutes. I was taken aside and given instructions about applying to retake the test by 3 different people. Yes you have 4 hours, but is a computer based test and you can leave when you are done. I have always completed timed tests with ample time left over. I passed this test.

When I cooled off enough to complain, I found out you only get 24 hours. I get why, they don't want people to look up answers, realize they didn't pass and file a complaint. After I got my passing score, I decided to go ahead and try. I got a it is to late to complain answer.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

jmarvellous

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 01:05:45 PM »
From the LSAT last month:

19) If there are rules about what you can and cannot bring into the test, follow them.

20) No, really, the rules won't be bent for you.

21) Administrators, familiarize yourself with the rules. If there's a rule that states "No digital watches," learn AHEAD OF TIME what a digital watch looks like. This is really basic, common knowledge and your lack thereof shouldn't slow down the test.

22) If you have a tic or a special need, see *ahead of time* if you can get accommodations for it.

23) If they say leaving the test center before the test is over will invalidate your score, that doesn't mean there are exceptions for you and your panic attack, hunger, important phone call (oh, remember that rule about no cellphones?), etc.

24) Administrators, jokes and stories before the test are fine, but maybe you could keep the really scary ones to a minimum? Five minutes before the test is an awful time to get psyched out.