Author Topic: Bacon, Vegetarians, and Deleted Comment, Oh My!  (Read 5681 times)

CakeBeret

Bacon, Vegetarians, and Deleted Comment, Oh My!
« on: July 19, 2012, 11:57:59 AM »
My best friend is Sue, and she has a close friend named Erin. I am friends with both Sue and Erin on FB, although I rarely see Erin in real life and we don't really get along. Erin is a vegetarian, and if anyone eats meat around her, they are subjected to comments about eating "poor innocent little animals".

Recently Sue posted a funny picture about bacon on my FB wall. Erin responded something about "murdering poor innocent little piggies". Since the picture was supposed to be funny and lighthearted, I deleted Erin's comment.

Apparently Erin noticed that her comment was gone and posted "Sue, you b****, why did you delete my comment?" Note that it is common for Sue and Erin to jokingly call each other "b****", but I would be uncomfortable with Erin calling me that.

Sue and Erin went back and forth over a few times about the deleted comment and then dropped it.

Should I fess up to deleting the comment and apologize? Or should I just let this go? And was it wrong of me to delete it in the first place?
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Reason

Re: Bacon, Vegetarians, and Deleted Comment, Oh My!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:01:08 PM »
It's your wall, you can delete whatever you want.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
I'd let it go, and you can do whtatever you want on your own wall.  Erin was the rude one, both for commenting on the photo initially, and for commenting on the deletion of her initial comment. 

Amava

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:07:05 PM »
You can definitely tell her "Actually, it was me who deleted your comment. Please refrain from posting similar comments on my wall in the future".

Apologize, you say? Apologizing would teach her that it is totally okay to post that sort of comments on your wall. Is that what you are aiming for?  ;)

O'Dell

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:08:16 PM »
You weren't rude to delete it. Erin only saw the comment because you are both on her friends list.

I think you should confess and apologize for causing any misunderstanding. But *don't* apologize for deleting the comment.

And I don't mean some formal confession/apology... "Oops, sorry for the confusion guys. I deleted the comment."
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:11:27 PM »
I would fess up to deleting the comment but, I wouldn't apologize; you did nothing wrong.  While I'm fessing up, I'd ask to stop making anti-meat comments on my wall and inform her that all such comments will be deleted.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

amylouky

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 10:19:09 AM »
I'd fess up also. Actually what I would post is, "Sue did not delete the comment on my wall, I did. I respect your eating choices and ask that you respect mine and do not post comments like that on my wall again."

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
Erin sounds like a ball of fun (some people might get the reference if I changed that to Nut o'Fun, but that might be misinterpreted.)

You have nothing to apologize for.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

MrTango

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 12:36:12 PM »
I'd just block Erin and be done with it.

shivering

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »
Your wall; you can delete what you want without explanation. I'd either say nothing or just say, 'I was the one who deleted it." and leave it at that. Actually, I'd say nothing. You don't have to explain yourself.

Erin sounds like the type who is looking for attention and wants to get into a war of words. Don't give her the opening and you don't feed the crazy.

O'Dell

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 12:58:54 PM »
Your wall; you can delete what you want without explanation. I'd either say nothing or just say, 'I was the one who deleted it." and leave it at that. Actually, I'd say nothing. You don't have to explain yourself.

Erin sounds like the type who is looking for attention and wants to get into a war of words. Don't give her the opening and you don't feed the crazy.

The point of "confessing" isn't for the OP to explain herself. I agree with you she doesn't need to do that. The reason to confess is to clear up the misunderstanding between the 2 other people. Unless the OP knows they figured out that it was her/not them that did it.

And that is what I personally would apologize for, but it's probably not necessary.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 01:02:44 PM »
"He was judged guilty by a jury of his peers & the sentence of being fried & served for breakfast has been carried out."

But there are people of all dietary persuasions who don't get jokes.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 01:27:28 PM »
Actually, can someone else delete comments posted on your wall? Like, do both you and Sarah have the ability to delete something she posted on your wall? Because if not, I'd say Sue knew that and was calling you out by calling her out on *your* wall.

I dont see any reason to say anything in that case, especially because there was no confusion to begin with.
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

jane7166

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »
Or you could post, "If we didn't eat the piggies, the world would soon be over-run with piggies."  but I suppose that would be something offensive since it doesn't glorify vegetarianism. 

Your wall, you can delete or not delete anything you want.

It seems one can't post hardly anything anymore without getting flak. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »
Ugh, not much annoys me like the vegetarians who make omnivores feel guilty for eating meat.  I haven't met many, but I tried to avoid eating with those who did.

Thankfully the majority of vegetarians I know do not behave like this and respect their omnivore friends.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata