Author Topic: Disposing of handicap placard  (Read 904 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Disposing of handicap placard
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:04:55 PM »
I found a handicap placard in my aunt's papers that expired in 1998.  Is there a special way I need to dispose of this, or can I just shred it?  I tried looking this up on line, and found no helpful information.

ShanghaiJill

Re: Disposing of handicap placard
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:07:36 PM »
Shred it, it's expired.

No longer valid.

Toast. ;)

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:10:16 PM »
I think you're likely OK to shred it since it's clearly expired.  I did send back my Mom's temporary to the Drivers License Division with VOID written across it in black Sharpie, or else it would have grown legs and walked away.  The date on that one was only on the back, and others were trying to "just use it, who is going to know?"  I'd check your DMV state website to be sure though. 

I'm stubborn (and a little foolish) and I haven't gotten a hang tag yet.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »
This one says "SEP 98" in large letters on the front, so it's pretty obviously expired.  But even if it wasn't expired I wouldn't use it since it isn't mine.  Into the shred bin it goes.  Thanks.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »
I cut mine up into 4 pieces and but them in different week's of trash, just as I do credit cards.

I called the DMV and they just didn't much care, but I didn't want to get into trouble if anyone decided to use it.

I honestly don't think the authorities really look at the date unless there is another problem, but I do have a moral objection to using them incorrectly.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:49:31 PM »
Cut it in half and trash it and you're fine. It's how I've always gotten rid of mine.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont