Author Topic: Walking Tacos  (Read 3432 times)

lowspark

Re: Walking Tacos
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 09:00:21 AM »
Oh yeah, Frito Pie in the Frito bag. Definitely a staple at high school football games -- I grew up in Houston. Walking taco sounds like a riff on the Frito Pie -- pretty good idea! I still eat Frito Pies at James Coney Island occasionally... they come in a bowl.  :D

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »
The rodeo I went to where I first had this 40-some years ago was in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Just thought I'd throw that in as a regional thing. ;)

Maggie

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »
Not just a Texan thing,  Okies love it too!  It is best with just a little mustard on the top.  Now I am really hungry for frito chili pie.

Maggie, being in the south part of Texas and not up in the Texoma area, I forget how close our food cultures are aligned.  We've always thought of CFS as a Texanized weiner schnitzel brought by the german settlers to the Texas Hill Country.  This past weekend we were in OK visiting a college for my DD and my DS was surprised when someone mentioned CFS being OK's state dish. 

Though a popular story of origin is that it was invented at a Woolworth lunch counter in Santa Fe, NM in the '60s, that can't actually be authentic.  There's way too many people who remember eating them in a 50's school cafeteria and were very popular with returning WWII vets (of which my Dad was one).   Frito company claims the founder's mother came up with the idea.
I would definitely say that cfs is a state dish in Oklahoma. 

No football, baseball or any other kind of game in Oklahoma is complete until you have frito chili pie. It is good with nacho cheese doritos as well which would really make it a walking taco.

Oh Joy

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 07:43:31 PM »
Walking tacos have been pretty big here (Minnesota) among the high-school crowd for the past five or ten years.  I often see them at sporting events, open houses, and such.

To each their own.  Lots of people love them, and I enjoy all of the components that go into them, but I just don't like them put together like that.

But they are often a hit at events.   :)