Author Topic: That's a stupid idea - responding politely when asked  (Read 3812 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: That's a stupid idea - responding politely when asked
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »
Only have two words:

Pet Rock

Count to 10 and be as tactful as you can...and use liberal amounts of bean dip.
Yes! 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 02:35:04 AM »
"Wow. Starting your own business must be a lot of work." (Comment on the effort.)
"It's great to hear about people starting new businesses in these economic times." (Not really a comment about the business!)
"I really wish you all the luck in the world." (A favorite of mine, since it doesn't specify good or bad luck.  >:D )

secretrebel

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 06:13:48 AM »
"It's a difficult economy at the moment, so go cautiously."

Daquiri40

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 08:01:52 AM »
A man in my very violent city makes memorial t-shirts.  He would have thought he would be so successful?

I had a relative who came up with every get rich scheme in the book and ALL were stupid. 

It is a tough spot to be in.  "Huh..."   That was always my response. 

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 09:20:15 AM »
A man in my very violent city makes memorial t-shirts.  He would have thought he would be so successful?

I had a relative who came up with every get rich scheme in the book and ALL were stupid. 

It is a tough spot to be in.  "Huh..."   That was always my response.

This may be part of my own hesitation.  He has gone for at least 4 different schemes in the last 7 years. 

There is a lot of personal backstory here, but I will say this:  It is Bill from this post back in June.  Way back then he told me about some business plan he was working on, but was very fuzzy on the details.  He wanted to earn enough money quickly to leave his wife and be able to give her alimony without suffering too much on his own income.  I thought it was a terrible idea back then.  I think it's a terrible idea now.

MAJOR update has happened in the last 24 hrs.
I don't think I need to worry about saying something to him, as he had a major falling out with my inlaws over some (mostly) unrelated irresponsibility and it's highly unlikely we'll be seeing them any time in the near future.  By the time I see him, I'm hoping the business will be a non-issue and I will be able to say either "I'm sorry it didn't work out" or "Congratulations, I'm glad it's working out well." 
The falling out isn't really related to the business (although that does play a small role) and also isn't really related to the earlier post, either.  Fortunately, it has nothing to do with me, but choosing to side with my inlaws (as they are undeniably in the right) means we are cut off by association.  I am sad, as his kids are good kids.  He chose to cut us off, not the other way around.