Author Topic: Is anyone in Thailand?  (Read 2298 times)

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
Is anyone in Thailand?
« on: July 23, 2012, 10:06:12 AM »
Hey all,

/bg/ My foster daughter is a wonderful slightly delayed young woman from Thailand. She came over here at 2 to be adopted and the adoption didn't do so well. I met her when she was a struggling teen, and after Mister Deathe and I got married she came to live with us. With us she has learned to respect herself, and have others respect her, and right now she is excited by things that show respect for women. /end bg/

Thailand has just come out with an 80 Baht note (about $2.50 USD) which features the Queen for the first time. My FD desperately wants one- all the bills she has from Thailand have men on them. If anyone has one of the new 80 Baht notes or can get one for me and send it to me I will happily pay for the bill itself, postage, and whatever extra you would like to get for helping- check or Paypal.

I'm not holding my breath on this, but ehellions seem to get everywhere so I figured I might as well try for her.
"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

Judah

• California, U.S.A
Re: Is anyone in Thailand?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 10:47:12 PM »
Many banks will exchange US currency for foreighn currency for a small fee. Could you maybe try that?
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

snowfire

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:10:23 AM »
Banks usually bite you pretty hard on an exchange. 

My next door neighbors travel to Thailand quite a bit.  I'll ask them if they happen to have any of the appropriate bills left over.

Awestruck Shmuck

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 01:11:29 AM »
I have a few friends holidaying in Thailand at the moment, due back next week. I will FB them now to see if i can get someone to bring one back with them and let you know!! I think it's a great idea what you're doing, by the way!!

snowfire

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »
Sorry, ladiedeathe.  I asked my neighbors and no luck.  They gave their leftover money to a friend who was staying longer.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 12:03:26 AM »
Banks usually bite you pretty hard on an exchange. 

My next door neighbors travel to Thailand quite a bit.  I'll ask them if they happen to have any of the appropriate bills left over.

Even if the exchange rate is bad the total value is low ($2.50) so it will be quite affordable.

Perhaps a letter to the Thai embassy/consulate. I always found embassies to be helpful to people interested in their home country. Surely someone there will have a banknote they can change for you.

snowfire

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »
Even if the exchange rate is bad the total value is low ($2.50) so it will be quite affordable.

It's not the actual exchange rate on the currency.  Frequently banks have a minimum $ amount for exchanges, frequently in the $50-100 range, not to mention fees for ordering in a currency that they don't have. 

I think the idea of contacting the embassy is a good one. 

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Thank you all for the replies. I love this board and the wonderful folks here!
"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."