Author Topic: Etiquette of commenting on stranger's facebook posts.  (Read 1492 times)

LadyL

Etiquette of commenting on stranger's facebook posts.
« on: July 24, 2012, 02:08:24 PM »
As you may know, facebook has a feature where sometimes the posts of people you are not friends with will appear on your wall, because someone you ARE friends with commented on their post. So it will show up as, "your friend Amy commented on Random Dude John's post:" with the thread below it. Personally, I find this annoying because I don't usually care that my coworker is commenting "congrats" on her second cousin's engagement announcement or whathaveyou and wish I could disable these type of notifications. Today I was given yet another reason:

My future brother in law "Dave" is of the opposite political bent than most of my social circle and he is one of those people who thinks he has the answers to fixing the whole political system, and will happily explain why to you for 40 minutes straight if allowed (unprompted of course). You can imagine how charming this is  ::). Well, I usually just ignore the facebook iterations of this behavior and the ensuing 40 comment arguments it inspires, and all is well in the world. Except, he must have seen my comment on my friend Lou's  post about how Tasty Fast Food Corporation apparently funds a political agenda I strongly disagree with and to "vote accordingly with your dollars" - I commented saying that I was bummed because their food is delicious and I'll miss eating it, and Dave jumps in with an extra long comment going on and on about how "voting with your dollars" is a stupid idea or something. He basically implied we were all really stupid for caring about the issue, and even better misinterpreted the article that Lou linked.

I am 99% sure Dave definitely doesn't know Lou  because A. I just met him a few weeks ago myself; B. he lives 5 states away from Dave, C. they are not facebook friends. My question: is it rude to jump into a discussion like this, or is it up to Lou to make his settings private if he doesn't want these types of comments? And does it matter that Dave's comment was misinformed/critical instead of friendly (i.e. kind of a drive by/trollish comment instead of constructive) or does that not matter if it's a public discussion?

Judah

• California, U.S.A
Re: Etiquette of commenting on stranger's facebook posts.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:47:24 PM »
My question: is it rude to jump into a discussion like this, or is it up to Lou to make his settings private if he doesn't want these types of comments?

This.  We each have the power to decide who gets to see and respond to our comments. If Lou doesn't want strangers commenting on his posts, he needs to set his permissions accordingly. If you put it out there for everyone to see, everyone is is free to comment.

Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

MrTango

Re: Etiquette of commenting on stranger's facebook posts.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 04:46:33 PM »
If Lou doesn't want non-friends to see his comments, he can adjust his privacy settings accordingly.

As far as Dave, I'd just block him and be done with it.