Author Topic: Personal fundraising through fb  (Read 2024 times)

sasssf

Personal fundraising through fb
« on: July 27, 2012, 04:43:11 PM »
I  have  been lurking for  a  few  months.  This  is  mainly  a  vent.  I  am  part  of  a  political  cause.  The  people  involved  tend  to  be  neon  orange  (poltically)  where  I  am still  orange, but  just  not  as  bright .  I  love  the  cause, but  some  of the woman tend  to be  a  bit much at times.  Plus  they  are really  young  and some  young people think they  know  everything.

Anyway,  one  of the  woman has  set  up  a  fundraising  site  on  FB  to  help  pay  for  something  elective.   People  can  have  strong opinions  one  way  or another  about  this  procedure.  I  , for one  am not  for it, but  would  NEVER   tell  this  woman that  as  it  is her body, her  life.  I'm sure  she may not approve  of some things  I  have  done.  This  procedure  does  allign  with  her  strong  political  leanings.  So  anyway.  she  send  out an invite  to  her  fundraising  page  on  FB  to  everyone  on  her  fb list.  And for  a  weelk,  she  had  7  reaasons  why  this  procedure  was  the best  idea  for  her  both politically  and  emotionally.  Finally  she  has  prizes  for  those  who  donate  at  certain levels.   And  now  she  has  more  than half  the money  wanted  and  others  are  saying  how  clever  she  is, and  how they  are going  to steal the idea. 

I  don't  know  if  I need  advice,  but  just had  to  share. 

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
Re: Personal fundraising through fb
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 04:46:52 PM »
I'm sorry you're frustrated. I'm confused as to what politics has to do with her fundraising, or how this is an etiquette matter, though.

I know you're new, but vents and rants generally get locked pretty quick, per The Rules
Utah

sasssf

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 05:14:59 PM »
I'm sorry you're frustrated. I'm confused as to what politics has to do with her fundraising, or how this is an etiquette matter, though.

I know you're new, but vents and rants generally get locked pretty quick, per The Rules

Let's  just  say  it's  a  very  natutal  way  of  giving  birh.  (I  was  trying  to  be  vague  ).  My  main issues aren't  the  political  ones,  but  the  fact  that  she  is fundraising  through  fb, for  a  want, not  a  need,  and  has  beeen pretty annoying about  promoting her cause.  Maybe  I will just  delete the post though.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 05:19:10 PM »
Well, eliminating political/philosophic issues, it sounds as if she's treating a life event as a fundraiser, and putting some serious screws on her friends. Even if I agreed totally with her, I would find this hard to accept. I'd far rather she call me and say, "Twik as a friend, could you lend me some money to do this?" At least I wouldn't feel my friend considered me a "target market".

Unfortunately, many people find it hard to accept that the rest of the world is not obligated to fund their way through life. FaceBook and the internet just makes it easier for them to be blatantly obvious about it.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 05:21:59 PM »
Do the prizes she is offering cost anything?  It wouldn't make any sense to me to offer a prize that cost $X while asking people for $Y.  It also sounds like the prize/donation levels are being made public whichis also not real polite.

sasssf

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »
Well, eliminating political/philosophic issues, it sounds as if she's treating a life event as a fundraiser, and putting some serious screws on her friends. Even if I agreed totally with her, I would find this hard to accept. I'd far rather she call me and say, "Twik as a friend, could you lend me some money to do this?" At least I wouldn't feel my friend considered me a "target market".

Unfortunately, many people find it hard to accept that the rest of the world is not obligated to fund their way through life. FaceBook and the internet just makes it easier for them to be blatantly obvious about it.

Exactly  Twik.  i think  the thing  is  that  she  thinks  this  is  just  the  most  ethically  wonderful thing to do, that  everyone  should  be  honored  that  she  is  allowing you to be  part  of this experience.  It  kind  of reminds me of the  pledge  drives on  public  television in  the  US    has.  And she keeps reminding people of the deadline to donate. I  actually  also  strongly suspect people  would  give  her  money  if  she  asked them in a  phone call or  whatever as I think most  of her  friends agree with her.

sasssf

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 05:48:59 PM »
Do the prizes she is offering cost anything?  It wouldn't make any sense to me to offer a prize that cost $X while asking people for $Y.  It also sounds like the prize/donation levels are being made public whichis also not real polite.

Some  do  Sharnita.  (but  it may  have  been things  she  already had  anyway.)  A  couple  are services she can provide  the  donor.    Not  only  are  the donation levels  made public, but  who donates  what  is made public too.  (At least  do  those on her  list,  and   if someone  shares her  fundraising  page with their fb friends, which she is encouraging, than those  people can see everything too.)