Author Topic: Charity or "pay for my life choices"?  (Read 13208 times)

Mikayla

Re: Charity or "pay for my life choices"?
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2012, 04:10:46 PM »
author=artk2002 link=topic=118936.msg2770105#msg2770105 date=1344107923]
I have no problem donating to support a charity; I wouldn't refuse simply because someone I know is getting some personal benefit on the side. I find the underlying attitude that someone can't get a personal benefit from doing charity work to be very unkind.
[/quote]

Art, I don't think anyone is saying this.   The OP was asking about a FB post where the allocation of funds wasn't even addressed.  Heck, at this point, we don't even know for sure that the FB friend intends to contribute anything at all herself.  And then there's another traveler involved.

It would be like you doing an ambiguous FB shout-out asking for help to defray your own personal costs in doing your tall ship stuff.  Is it gas money?  Do you bring snacks for the kids?  Most important of all, are you asking for your entire cash outlay to be underwritten by others? 

I doubt it, but these are the exact questions this FB friend did not address, and it's why people are reacting negatively.  I am, too. With personal charities, I want my donation to go to those in need, not those helping them (if that makes sense).

lmyrs

Re: Charity or "pay for my life choices"?
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2012, 09:08:41 PM »
My aunt and uncle spent a couple of weeks volunteering in an orphange overseas. They went through a registered charity. They paid their own travel, accomodations and meals. They did tell friends and family what they were doing and encouraged them to make donations either directly to the charity or they would take donations of school supplies directly over in their luggage. I supported that through a cash donatuon to the charity.

I think if your friends were paying their whole way and every dollar raised went directly to the orphanage, I'd be inclined to give something. But, it sounds like they're asking for funding for their trip and that's where I draw my own, personal line.