Author Topic: Dirty Laundry  (Read 17559 times)

Arianoor

Dirty Laundry
« on: July 30, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »
So, I've been out of touch with the flu for the last week and I came back to the world today to find that the worst thing ever has occurred!  *Heavy, heavy, heavy sarcasm*  Kristen Stewart has cheated on Robert Pattinson and they have broken up!   :'(

Now, here's the rude part, IMO, she releases this statement about how her "momentary indiscretion (that apparently lasted months)" has harmed her favorite person and how she loves him, loves him, loves him . . . blah blah blah.  Now, I know that it is de rigueur for celebrities to do this sort of thing for damage control, but did she really need to go into that kind of detail?  Wouldn't something like, "I have made a terrible mistake, which I regret bitterly," *full stop* have been a more polite option?  Telling someone that you are sorry you cheated on them and love them, love them, love them, doesn't seem like something you should splash across US Weekly.

Airing dirty laundry is rude, right?

ETA: Changed the title.  No mod response, but multiple people disagreed with it, so I stand corrected.   :D 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:36:46 AM by BBelle »

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Tramp-ire Dirty Laundry
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 06:00:10 PM »
Rude, but sadly fashionable.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 06:07:12 PM »
Airing dirty laundry is rude, right?

Since when has that stopped anyone?  The thing is that regular, ordinary people do this everyday; it's just that they're not famous, so it's not splashed all over the tabloids. 
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

thedudeabides

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 06:07:59 PM »
It's cool to call someone a tramp here?

Arianoor

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »

I was actually quoting an article.  Sorry, should have made that clear.

Jones

Re: "Tramp-ire" Dirty Laundry
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 06:19:06 PM »
Once the laundry is aired, by gossips or papparazzi or whatever, the only thing the target can then do is come out with an apology. That, or be silent on the whole thing and let the gossips/magazine writers say whatever they want.

thedudeabides

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »

Yeah... Although I actually don't think that makes it any more appropriate for a site like this, but okay.

As for the etiquette of publicly apologizing for cheating on someone, I've realized I just don't care.  If she'd just said she was sorry, someone would be on her for not being sorry enough; she said more than that, so people are criticizing her for not just apologizing and being done.  There wasn't a way to win, and honestly the person whose opinion really matters in this situation is the person who was cheated on.

Arianoor

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 06:38:11 PM »

Yeah... Although I actually don't think that makes it any more appropriate for a site like this, but okay.

I disagree and think it's funny and ironic.  However, I have reported myself to the mods to ask.

As for the etiquette of publicly apologizing for cheating on someone, I've realized I just don't care.  If she'd just said she was sorry, someone would be on her for not being sorry enough; she said more than that, so people are criticizing her for not just apologizing and being done.  There wasn't a way to win, and honestly the person whose opinion really matters in this situation is the person who was cheated on.

There may not be a way to "win" with the public.  But, I still believe that it is rude to publish details of someone else's life, which is what she is doing.  She may not be able to help that the pictures were put out there, but she can help making public something that should be a private communication.

Edited to fixed quoting mishap.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:54:29 PM by BBelle »

Amava

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 06:47:17 PM »
I think it is inappropriate to discuss other people's private lives, whether they are celebrities or not.

In my ideal world, the media would not be talking about this at all. 

Each time I see something like this mentioned on the internet or in a newspaper as if it is "news", I raise an eyebrow and think: "Why is this supposed to be interesting?"

I guess I just don't get it. 

But in the not-so-ideal world we live in, from the point of view of a celebrity... whether to make statements about their private lives or not? Damned if they do, damned if they don't, I suppose. I certainly have the most respect for those who don't. For those who do,well, I try to avoid reading about it. And if I do come across a story, I a. don't care and b. take everything the media says with a pound of salt.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »
I am not impressed with cheaters but I have  to say that I think an effusive public apology is better than effusive public bragging about how cheating has led to making you happier than ever before. A lot of stars do that.

shadowfox79

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 06:57:21 AM »
Sadly, this is the sort of thing that's expected these days, although personally I don't much care.

She needs to be effusive, I imagine, because not only has she cheated on Robert Pattinson (as a million young girls faint) but she's caused pain to her director's wife and children. (As has he, of course, and I gather he also posted a suitably contrite statement.) So she's probably been told to sound as apologetic as possible.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 08:35:34 AM »
I just wish she'd go away.  I don't think her apology sounded sincere.  "Methinks the lady doth protest too much"

Shopaholic

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 08:42:52 AM »
I think it is inappropriate to discuss other people's private lives, whether they are celebrities or not.

Seeing as many celebrites use their private lives for PR (which gets them jobs, which gets them money), I don't. They put it out there for the world to discuss, they can't complain when the world discusses unfavorably.

I just wish she'd go away.  I don't think her apology sounded sincere.  "Methinks the lady doth protest too much"

ITA.

Fleur

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 09:02:27 AM »

Seeing as many celebrites use their private lives for PR (which gets them jobs, which gets them money), I don't. They put it out there for the world to discuss, they can't complain when the world discusses unfavorably.

ITA.

I agree as well. I also have to admit that I looked at the so called scandalous pictures, and I've never seen anything look more staged. I strongly suspect that there is no affair at all and that the whole thing was put on to bring the Pattinson/Stewart showmance to a convincing end while at the same time drumming up custom for Snow White and The Huntsman 2. If this 'scandal' doesn't boost ticket sales, then I will eat any item of headgear.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:46:56 PM by Fleur »

nyarlathotep

• My other blade is Vorpal
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 09:06:03 AM »
I disagree and think it's funny and ironic.  However, I have reported myself to the mods to ask.
Sorry, but I have to agree with thedudeabides. Not an appropriate term to use.