Author Topic: Dirty Laundry  (Read 17548 times)

Scuba_Dog

Re: Tramp-ire Dirty Laundry
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »
It's cool to call someone a tramp here?
I was actually quoting an article.  Sorry, should have made that clear.
Yeah... Although I actually don't think that makes it any more appropriate for a site like this, but okay.
I disagree and think it's funny and ironic.  However, I have reported myself to the mods to ask.
Sorry, but I have to agree with thedudeabides. Not an appropriate term to use.

Adding my POD to that.  I think it's very childish and distasteful - especially for an etiquette site.  (OP, I know you only quoted the article)
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: "Tramp-ire" Dirty Laundry
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »
Actually, I feel a little sorry for her. She's very young, in a society (Hollywood) that preaches "if it feels good, do it!". Self-denial in the interest of long-term happiness is not a virtue taught there. So, she's learning for the first time that actions have consequences.

I'm even sorrier for Pattison, and his career. It's unfortunate, but I think he'll be tarred as "the man who couldn't keep Kristen Stewart satisfied," and that will hurt his leading man credibility.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 09:31:09 AM »
How would you tell if she's satisfied or not? The girl has like two expressions, if that.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 09:40:41 AM »
Actually, I feel a little sorry for her. She's very young, in a society (Hollywood) that preaches "if it feels good, do it!". Self-denial in the interest of long-term happiness is not a virtue taught there. So, she's learning for the first time that actions have consequences.

I'm even sorrier for Pattison, and his career. It's unfortunate, but I think he'll be tarred as "the man who couldn't keep Kristen Stewart satisfied," and that will hurt his leading man credibility.

As far as the entire story is concerned - Twik summed up how I feel about it. 

Honestly, all of the "fans" seem to be having too much "fun" with this whole thing.  It's pathetic.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 09:51:05 AM »

Yeah... Although I actually don't think that makes it any more appropriate for a site like this, but okay.

As for the etiquette of publicly apologizing for cheating on someone, I've realized I just don't care.  If she'd just said she was sorry, someone would be on her for not being sorry enough; she said more than that, so people are criticizing her for not just apologizing and being done.  There wasn't a way to win, and honestly the person whose opinion really matters in this situation is the person who was cheated on.

All of this. I don't think there was a "good" option. I think she should now refrain from making more public statements, but if she hadn't said anything she'd be trashed for that too.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 10:40:57 AM »

Now, here's the rude part, IMO, she releases this statement about how her "momentary indiscretion (that apparently lasted months)" has harmed her favorite person and how she loves him, loves him, loves him . . . blah blah blah.

Translation: She's "sorry" she got caught.

Arianoor

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 11:52:31 AM »

As for the etiquette of publicly apologizing for cheating on someone, I've realized I just don't care.  If she'd just said she was sorry, someone would be on her for not being sorry enough; she said more than that, so people are criticizing her for not just apologizing and being done.  There wasn't a way to win, and honestly the person whose opinion really matters in this situation is the person who was cheated on.

All of this. I don't think there was a "good" option. I think she should now refrain from making more public statements, but if she hadn't said anything she'd be trashed for that too.

I still think that a simple, "I have made a terrible mistake and am terribly sorry," would suffice in the apology department.  Going on and on is just so distasteful in my opinion, she hurt him enough (unless the whole thing was staged as another poster theorized) without making a giant circus of her grief and utter dejection.  I don't follow celebrity culture as a rule, in fact I'm hopelessly behind most of the time, but haven't cheaters in the past gone the route the simple apology-and-please-respect-the-privacy-of-the-injured-party?  Of course, as Twik said, she is terribly young, perhaps the publicist is more to blame.

The other thing is, as far as etiquette, celebrities are people too and should have to follow the rules that everyone else does.  If it would be rude for me to stand up in church/work/school and make that announcement, then it is rude for her to do it, too.  Of course, it would be rude for me to even give the simple apology that I have been advocating, so I guess I'll have to change my tune!

nyarlathotep

• My other blade is Vorpal
Re: Dirty Laundry
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 12:09:09 PM »
ETA: Changed the title.  No mod response, but multiple people disagreed with it, so I stand corrected.   :D

BBelle, that was highly considerate and graceful. Thank you!

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »
I think it is inappropriate to discuss other people's private lives, whether they are celebrities or not.

Seeing as many celebrites use their private lives for PR (which gets them jobs, which gets them money), I don't. They put it out there for the world to discuss, they can't complain when the world discusses unfavorably.

I just wish she'd go away.  I don't think her apology sounded sincere.  "Methinks the lady doth protest too much"

ITA.

I agree as well. I also have to admit that I looked at the so called scandalous pictures, and I've never seen anything look more staged. I strongly suspect that there is no affair at all and that the whole thing was put on to bring the Pattisnon/Stewart showmance to a convincing end while at the same time drumming up custom for SWANTH 2. If this 'scandal' doesn't boost ticket sales, then I will eat any item of headgear.

SWANTH 2?

Arianoor

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 12:32:50 PM »
I think it is inappropriate to discuss other people's private lives, whether they are celebrities or not.

Seeing as many celebrites use their private lives for PR (which gets them jobs, which gets them money), I don't. They put it out there for the world to discuss, they can't complain when the world discusses unfavorably.

I just wish she'd go away.  I don't think her apology sounded sincere.  "Methinks the lady doth protest too much"

ITA.

I agree as well. I also have to admit that I looked at the so called scandalous pictures, and I've never seen anything look more staged. I strongly suspect that there is no affair at all and that the whole thing was put on to bring the Pattisnon/Stewart showmance to a convincing end while at the same time drumming up custom for SWANTH 2. If this 'scandal' doesn't boost ticket sales, then I will eat any item of headgear.

SWANTH 2?
Snow White and the Huntsman II

It took me a few minutes, but I got it!  I think that the N is an extra.

Amava

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 12:39:02 PM »

Whether they "can complain" or not, was not really my point.
What I'm saying is that it is tacky all around: the celebrities who make their dirty laundry an attraction, the "journalists" who plaster it all over the media, and the public that buys into it and discusses it.

I am still waiting for someone to explain to me *why* the public takes such an interest in the private life of celebrities and *why* it sells. Like I said, I don't *get* it. 

Then again, I don't get most sports either, so it might just be me.  ;D

Calypso

Re: Dirty Laundry
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 12:39:26 PM »
I have no opinion whatsoever on this story, but as someone who loves the English language in all its awesome and wacky permutations, may I just thank you for two great new words, "trampire" and "showmance"? (maybe not new to you, but I hadn't heard them before).

So delicious. I must find a way to use them today. ;D Shakespeare would've been able to do it, methinks.

Fleur

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 12:45:18 PM »

ITA.

SWANTH 2?
Snow White and the Huntsman II

It took me a few minutes, but I got it!  I think that the N is an extra.

Yes, you're right. On both counts, I'll go back and edit to make it clearer.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2012, 01:19:18 PM »

I agree with Twik on this part.  She is learning her lessons is a very public way.  I also don't think she can win - she will be publicly trashed no matter what she does. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 01:56:42 PM »
I agree as well. I also have to admit that I looked at the so called scandalous pictures, and I've never seen anything look more staged. I strongly suspect that there is no affair at all and that the whole thing was put on to bring the Pattinson/Stewart showmance to a convincing end while at the same time drumming up custom for Snow White and The Huntsman 2. If this 'scandal' doesn't boost ticket sales, then I will eat any item of headgear.

Considering that the director is married, with three small children, this would make him quite something of a monster.

"Don't cry, darling, Daddy isn't REALLY going to leave Mommy for that other girl. It's just for the papers, see? And it'll make Daddy a lot of money, and he'll buy you a new pony."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."