News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 04:17:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Taking bites out of each other's sandwiches?  (Read 12666 times)

Iris

Re: Taking bites out of each other's sandwiches?
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2012, 04:52:15 AM »
I find the CW sandwich story a little cutesy for my taste, but if they enjoyed it then I have no problem with it. DH and I also give each other tastes of our food if we're eating out. In fact, I do that with siblings and close friends, too. Usually with clean cutlery and it is delivered to the side of their plate.

However, I am very possessive of what is "mine". I will share if I choose to but DON'T TOUCH MY STUFF!!!!

*Ahem* Calm now.  :) My point is that the husband in the final letter would make me boiling mad. DH used to have a habit of taking sips out of my drink, but he's stopped now - or rather, he asks permission first which makes it okay.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2012, 05:24:50 AM »
The sandwich bite thing was way too cute!

With my nuclear family, we share food and double-dip and eat each other's leftovers...even though I haven't lived with them for almost a decade now.

Sharing food with friends and guys I'm in a relationship with is a comfort-level sort of thing. I'm usually okay with "have a few of my fries" type exchanges of food even on a first date.  After a certain point, I figure I'm around the person enough that I'd catch anything they had that wasn't blood-borne via casual contact anyway.

I think fondue is typically hot enough to kill off bacteria - it should be since it's hot enough to cook food!

I am leery of sharing cold foods and beverages with others though - that's how I caught mono and probably contributed to catching several other nasty bouts of colds/flus/stomach flu.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2012, 10:33:31 AM »
I guess cheese fondue would be out of the question then?  Everybody sticking their fondue forks into the same pot and then eating directly off them?  :-\
Oh, gads.  I didn't even think about that!  That's double dipping in the most elegant sense.
With fondue, you're really not supposed to eat from the 'cooking forks'.  After using the fork to dip your bread or fruit, you should place it on your plate and eat with your regular utensils.

This is especially important if you're cooking meat in simmering oil - the cooking fork will become white hot.  Not fun to put that in your mouth!

Sharnita

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2012, 10:43:49 AM »
you definitely don't put the fondue fork in your mouth.  It's like EmmaJ describes. That way you can have a dipping sause or two, season the bite if you want, etc.

gramma dishes

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2012, 11:07:01 AM »
Actually cheese fondue and meat fondue are quite different animals.  They don't even use the same kind of pot.  Cheese fondue usually IS eaten directly off the fork.  Meat fondue never is for the obvious reason that it would indeed burn your mouth severely!

Cheese fondue pots are more like "warmers" and are usually made of ceramic or earthenware type material and the heat comes from a candle type fuel.  Nothing (neither the cheese or the bowl it's in) gets so hot you can't touch it.  Well, except of course for the candle flame itself.  You're just basically keeping the cheese comfortably warm and gooey. 

Meat fondue always is made in a metal pot (usually aluminum or stainless steel) and uses either canned or liquid Sterno type fuel.  It produces a larger and much hotter flame.  The meat is cooked in oil that also gets extremely hot because you're actually cooking the meat from its raw state.

Cheese would burn immediately if you tried to heat it in this metal pot, and the flame and intense heat produced by the burner would crack a ceramic pot.  (I actually witnessed a neighbor immediately ruin two crockery type cheese fondue bowls trying to use them on a meat fondue burner base!)   :-\

Shoo

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2012, 12:23:59 PM »
Actually cheese fondue and meat fondue are quite different animals.  They don't even use the same kind of pot.  Cheese fondue usually IS eaten directly off the fork.  Meat fondue never is for the obvious reason that it would indeed burn your mouth severely!

Cheese fondue pots are more like "warmers" and are usually made of ceramic or earthenware type material and the heat comes from a candle type fuel.  Nothing (neither the cheese or the bowl it's in) gets so hot you can't touch it.  Well, except of course for the candle flame itself.  You're just basically keeping the cheese comfortably warm and gooey. 

Meat fondue always is made in a metal pot (usually aluminum or stainless steel) and uses either canned or liquid Sterno type fuel.  It produces a larger and much hotter flame.  The meat is cooked in oil that also gets extremely hot because you're actually cooking the meat from its raw state.

Cheese would burn immediately if you tried to heat it in this metal pot, and the flame and intense heat produced by the burner would crack a ceramic pot.  (I actually witnessed a neighbor immediately ruin two crockery type cheese fondue bowls trying to use them on a meat fondue burner base!)   :-\

There is a third kind of fondue pot:  A metal one, with an electric cord and a temperature dial, so you can use the same pot to heat/cook a variety of different things.  I have this one:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-379149/Cuisinart-Electric-Fondue?affsrcid=AFF0005

gramma dishes

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2012, 01:32:52 PM »
You're right!!  I forgot all about the electric ones!  I've never used one of those, though I've had several of the "traditional" fueled types -- both the oil/broth kind and the cheese/chocolate kind. 

Do they work well?  Do you think the cord adds to the danger or do you think it makes the cooking process safer?

P.S.  That looks like a nice one!!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:34:24 PM by gramma dishes »

Sirius

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
If Mr. Sirius wants to taste my food, I slice him off a portion and put it on his plate, and he does the same for me.  We just prefer it that way.  I think that if I took a bite out of his sandwich he'd think I was crazy, although I think that couples who have private little ways of showing they love each other even across a crowded room are sweet.  Mr. Sirius and I have one of those - a tug of the earlobe.  It came about from a typo in a note I sent him where I signed the note "I lobe you." 

Shoo

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »
You're right!!  I forgot all about the electric ones!  I've never used one of those, though I've had several of the "traditional" fueled types -- both the oil/broth kind and the cheese/chocolate kind. 

Do they work well?  Do you think the cord adds to the danger or do you think it makes the cooking process safer?

P.S.  That looks like a nice one!!

Yes, I definitely think the cord adds to the danger.  So when I use mine, I am neurotically, extremely, careful about it.  I plug it into an extension cord, and then I make sure the extension cord has plenty of slack and is NOwhere someone could bump it, trip over it, or otherwise pull on it.  It makes me so nervous sometimes, especially if we are using hot oil.  With things like cheese, chocolate, etc., I'm not as scared.  But hot oil freaks me out!

Other than that, though, I like it a lot!  :)

Sharnita

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »
we use the corded ones all the time.  I don't feel like they are more dangerous (FWIW we mostly do oil).

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
I have a different one again.  My cheese fondue pot is ceramic but uses the blue fuel burner with a diffuser to keep it from getting too hot on the ceramic.

So I have 3 types:  An oil or broth pot that is metal, with a normal blue fuel burner, the cheese pot that is ceramic with the diffused fuel burner and 2 chocolate fondue pots that are ceramic with the tea light candle underneath.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2012, 04:03:01 PM »
Mr. Sirius and I have one of those - a tug of the earlobe.  It came about from a typo in a note I sent him where I signed the note "I lobe you."
Aw-w-w :-*
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Shoo

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2012, 04:06:03 PM »
Mr. Sirius and I have one of those - a tug of the earlobe.  It came about from a typo in a note I sent him where I signed the note "I lobe you."
Aw-w-w :-*

Now that's cute!  :)