Author Topic: Some quick FB help please - tiny update, pg 2.  (Read 4915 times)

Shopaholic

Some quick FB help please - tiny update, pg 2.
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:12:08 AM »
Hello FB gurus!

I have a FB friend who I am not very close to, but I like having her on FB.
Unfortunately she has a good friend that runs a business and in an attempt to widen her potential customer pool, tags friend in photos of her work.
Her work is nice, but not something that I'd ever purchase.
However, this business owner now tags friend in photos showcasing her work every.single.day - sometimes twice, even three times a day.
Is there any way I can unsubscribe to posts by business owner that tag my friend without blocking all posts of friend? Even though I am not a fan of the business page?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:18:08 AM by Shopaholic »

Harriet

Re: Some quick FB help please
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 03:17:36 AM »
Wow. That is totally obnoxious.

Can you block the business? I know you can block specific people but I have never tried it with a business page. Look under your privacy settings and see if it will let you.

MrTango

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:36:04 AM »
There is an option to "Unsubscribe from Photos by [Name]"

Hold your mouse over the photo and a little box will appear in the upper right corner of the photo.  Left click on that little box and you'll get a drop down menu.

Shopaholic

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:24:20 AM »
Thank you!

I don't have it - the box in the right hand corner will only let me go to full screen :(.

Snooks

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 10:24:20 AM »
An arrow should appear when you place your mouse on the photo in your newsfeed, the arrow won't be on the photo itself but off to the right.

Shopaholic

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 11:12:44 AM »
Oh, OK - I got it now, thanks!

Unfortunately, it only allows me to unsubscribe from friend, and not from the business' page.
I wish I could block the page, but I can't. Friend often puts up photos of her family which I like.
I guess I'll just have to unsubscribe her from my newsfeed and pop over to her page once in a while if I feel like seeing what's up with them...

Harriet

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 11:35:16 AM »
Is the business owner posting from her personal page, or from a business page she set up for the business?

If it's a "people" page, you can block the business owner and still see pics that your friend posts.

Log in. Look at the very upper right of the page, just to the left of the "ticker" -- you'll see

YourName | Home | (a down arrow)

Click once on the down arrow
In the drop-down menu that appears, choose "Privacy Settings"
On the next page, the last item will be "Blocked People and Apps" -- click "Manage Blocking"
In the "Block Users" section, type the business owner's name.

Shopaholic

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 02:10:01 AM »
It's a business page, I can't block it.

Ugh, I hope this business owner realizes that her form of advertising makes it absolutely certain she will never get any business from me, not even recommendations to friends who mught have bought her wares.
I really, really hope that one of her closer friends clues her in to this obnoxious behavior. I am certainly in no position to do so.

squeakers

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 08:56:59 AM »
While on your newsfeed find a post by the business.  Go to the business page. Click "Liked" at the top of the page, choose "don't show in my newsfeed" and then "unlike".
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 08:31:08 PM »
I'd also let friend know. She may not realize how annoying it may be for those that aren't friends with business owner. 

Shopaholic

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 10:04:46 AM »
I'd also let friend know. She may not realize how annoying it may be for those that aren't friends with business owner.

I really don't think I can do that. I am not very close with FB friend, just through our husbands. We are nice and polite but I wouldn't call her a good friend.
The business owner IS one of her best friends, and if friend finds this acceptable it's really none of my business.
The most I can do is just block her from my feed.

But last night this came up with a mutual friend and he says these taggings are driving him crazy, too.

The only possible way I can bring it up is if she asks me if I've seen her photos on FB, and I tell her that unfortunately I don't get her on my newsfeed anymore because there were more photos of her friend's business wares than of her. However, that isn't really a situation I see happening.

Oh, well.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »
I suspect you and your mutual friend aren't the only ones being annoyed by this.  I'd find it annoying too, and probably do what you did and take her off my newsfeed.  I *hope* she doesn't realise everyone on her friends list is being spammed by these pictures.  Maybe she'll realise (or realise how aggravating it is) when her comments drop because few people are reading her wall.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
So there's no way to block a business' FB page? 

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »
I don't know about blocking, but can you report the business page for spam?  I (along with several friends) sometimes get tagged in random photos of shoes.  The person tagging is NOT on my friends list, so I untag myself, then report spam (in the rare case that is was someone I know, I send them a message telling them what happened and that their account was probably hacked).

thedudeabides

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 09:43:54 PM »
I'd go to the business's page and complain.  Just be matter of fact: "Your photos, tagged with my friend's name, are spamming my newsfeed.  Because of this, I will not be using your business and will not be recommending you to any friends or family who need services you provide."