Author Topic: What Do You Collect?  (Read 1726 times)

Amara

Re: What Do You Collect?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »
Nessie? This sounds familiar.

magiccat26, did you once have a thread where you had Nessie out in your front yard and some neighbors didn't like it? Did it have pictures?

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 02:45:16 PM »
Nessie? This sounds familiar.

magiccat26, did you once have a thread where you had Nessie out in your front yard and some neighbors didn't like it? Did it have pictures?

Yes, I sure did.  :). Nessie now lives in a custom built flower bed / butterfly garden in our back yard.
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. Catherine Aird

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 03:06:59 PM »
DP and I together collect shot glasses - also because they are inexpensive and easy to transport, and sometimes are really lovely. We also collect old books - specifically old bibles. DP was the pastor to the former owners of most of ours - pastor at a gay church in the 80s and 90s, she lost a lot of parishioners who had no family that would speak to them, and she keeps their bibles in remembrance. Some, though, are truly ancient (1800s) that she was given, again mostly by parishioners.

DP collects clipper ships - on mugs, models, paintings, you name it. We have a TON we need to get out and display after the move.

I collect blue Christmas ornaments. I've been buying one a year for  myself since I graduated high school - my first was bought my senior year, come to think of it. I need a new ornament tree for them - I've long since filled the one I had.

Specky

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »
Yarn and fiber.  Once I use it to make something, I have an excuse to go find more to collect.  ::)

I also have a "Collection of Weird Stuff" which is a random collection of things that I just can't resist.  For example, I have a Wedgewood plate with Richard Nixon's profile on it.  Makes me laugh.

RooRoo

• Im out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 06:13:18 PM »
Bull terrier things. I have a display cabinet full of figurines, lots of stuffies, and most of the books in English with a Bully character. (My favorites: the Daisy series by Lisa Kopper.) I also have some wall art. 

Oh, yeah, and two live ones.  >:D

The first of the Daisy books:
http://www.amazon.com/Daisy-Thinks-Shes-Baby-Kopper/dp/0679847235/ref=pd_sim_b_4

If I ever get a video camera, I'll send some of our excitements to youtube. In the meantime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBLcGFANnVI

"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Lynn2000

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 06:37:07 PM »
I collect (and make) sock monkeys and other sock animals. Mostly they're new ones, but I have a few vintage ones that are in good condition--I'm not into restoring them (yet). I really have way too many stuffed into my tiny apartment, enough to frighten visitors who inevitably ask how I can sleep with all of them staring at me.

My dad's family has hoarding tendencies that I continually fight, so sometimes it's hard for me to decide what I "collect" vs. what I just have a lot of. I have a lot of unread books, blank notebooks I haven't written in yet, scarves my mom made, beaded bookmarks my mom and I make... I want to collect teapots--I have two right now, but as I have virtually nowhere to put them, I need to not go down that road.

Someone else mentioned dictionaries. I have about two dozen foreign language-English dictionaries. I use them when I'm writing a story and need another language to butcher.  ::) I also have a lot of baby name books, for a similar purpose (fiction writing).
~Lynn2000

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 06:42:13 PM »
Pint glasses from breweries when we travel.

Jeweled and enameled boxes in animal shapes.

Bundt cake pans. Cake stands. Cupcake papers. (Do you sense a trend?)

Jewelry.

Star Trek & Star Wars collectibles.

Owls and eagles.

Cast iron Dutch ovens and skillets.

Fantasy creatures and art (unicorns, pegasi, dragons, etc).

Dolphin and whale figures, art.

Books.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:49:40 PM by ladyknight1 »

cubemissy

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 08:41:17 PM »
Since so many people want a library dragon, I am going to plug a friend's work: https://www.etsy.com/listing/111393986/dragon-necklace-on-leather-cord-copper?ref=shop_home_active

Wow, thanks! Your friend's work is beautiful! I found a pendant of a mother dragon reading to her baby. It will fit right in at my job...yep, library.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 09:34:50 PM »
My souvenirs when I travel are Christmas ornaments. They're easy to transport home, and they're easy to store and display. I like that I get to really use them every year. :)

I also collect frogs. These are just scattered all over the house, depending on what they are. There's the frog wine holder in my kitchen, the frog nightlight in the guest bath, and the frog figurines on my bookshelves. I try to clear them out every so often and only keep the ones that are sentimental or I really love, because otherwise they just take over!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 10:53:42 PM »
Dragons.

Mostly stuffed dragons, but I also have dragon figurines, a rocking dragon, and a large stone water dragon in my butterfly garden (search for Nessie vs. the HOA).

My husband built me a library in our home (two full walls of bookshelves around 8 ft high) and all my dragons live on top of my bookcases.  They are library dragons who hoard books.  ;)

And how is Nessie?  Hope she likes the butterfly garden.  She's such a beautiful piece of art.
I remember Nessie, too!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

SheltieMom

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2013, 12:21:06 AM »
I have a large collection of children's books (over 700).

I'm working very slowly on a collection of Navajo pottery. I have 3 medium sized pieces, one small, and a Christmas ornament. We love to go to Red River, NM every year or two, and there's a place there (The Bobcat) that has beautiful pieces at reasonable prices.

Wherever we travel, I try to get a small piece of jewelry that is made in the area. I enjoy remembering the places when I wear the piece.

When my kids were younger and traveled with us, we tried to find a Christmas ornament from the place, so they could remember our vacations. My oldest son has all of his ornaments, and the other two will get theirs when they have a place to keep them.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2013, 12:43:01 AM »
I used to collect cat figurines, as well as dragons & unicorns. Those collections are now mostly in storage.

I now collect: giraffes (they have such beautiful eyes)
                     cobalt glass
                     balls - wicker balls, glass balls, china balls - I even have a concrete one.
                     Betty Boop memorabilia

And I have 3 IKEA glass cases for my collections.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

kymom3

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »
It might be easier to talk about things I DON'T collect.  ::)

I collect vintage Christmas items, blue and white graniteware, and English ironstone china.

I also love vintage pillowcases, the ones that are embroidered and have lace and other fun stuff.  I was recently at an estate sale and they had several bundles of them, 5 or 6 to a bundle, and it was half price day!  I bought 2 bundles and brought them home and love them.

I also have a shelf in my kitchen with "tacky Florida souvenirs" on it.  I know tacky can be very subjective, but I have several shell covered items, the funny monkeys playing cards made out of shells, and some other things.  It makes me smile whenever I look at it.   ;D