Author Topic: Stuff you can't get anymore  (Read 58754 times)

wheeitsme

Re: Stuff you can't get anymore
« Reply #195 on: August 04, 2012, 09:19:32 PM »
Another site for long lost goodies  8)

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/

By the way, if you live near a mom and pop or variety store, those are great for obscure candy.   I can walk a half mile from my house to buy a Sky Bar.

What really bums me out is that's the only place you can get RC Cola (unless you live outside the US/Canada), and it's $9 for a 12-pack!

When I lived in Orange County, CA, there was an old store, Zlaket's, in Old Town Garden Grove.  They had it.  But they had almost everything.  They even had the original Dr.Pepper.  Also, a store called BevMo had alot of older and regional sodas.

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2012, 10:44:01 PM »
...I also miss having a roller skating rink here in town, wishing that fad didn't go away, I can't get the hang of roller blading!...

I have one!  Wooo Hoooo!   
I am just waiting until my two-year-old has size 6 feet (smallest size available in roller skates), and then we are going skating!

I have 2 rinks in my area!  Come visit!  And they have skates from walking age up!

We have two also.  One is next door to where I go grocery shopping.   

onikenbai

« Reply #197 on: August 04, 2012, 11:16:29 PM »
On a completely different note:

Rubbermaid high-sided litter boxes.  Domino insists on peeing standing up (Yes, he's neutered.)  and this litter box was the perfect height and size.  Most covered and high-sided are two pieces, letting urine get caught in the seam between top and bottom, not that Domino would ever enter that notorious cat trap known as a covered litter box.  Petco has a one-piece box, but it is very large, making washing it awkward.  I have two Rubbermaid boxes, but can't get more (I have four cats.  That's a lot of boxes.) because they are discontinued.

Would these work? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4217937

I've got them for my gang.

I've got these: http://www.petco.com/product/14467/Clevercat-Top-Entry-Litterbox.aspx  They work great until you forget to put the top on one day and the cat does a header into the box.  Didn't tip over though so yay quality control!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #198 on: August 04, 2012, 11:24:46 PM »
On a completely different note:

Rubbermaid high-sided litter boxes.  Domino insists on peeing standing up (Yes, he's neutered.)  and this litter box was the perfect height and size.  Most covered and high-sided are two pieces, letting urine get caught in the seam between top and bottom, not that Domino would ever enter that notorious cat trap known as a covered litter box.  Petco has a one-piece box, but it is very large, making washing it awkward.  I have two Rubbermaid boxes, but can't get more (I have four cats.  That's a lot of boxes.) because they are discontinued.

Would these work? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4217937

I've got them for my gang.

I've got these: http://www.petco.com/product/14467/Clevercat-Top-Entry-Litterbox.aspx  They work great until you forget to put the top on one day and the cat does a header into the box.  Didn't tip over though so yay quality control!

What a clever idea!
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #199 on: August 05, 2012, 06:48:28 AM »
I just keep thinking this every time i see the title to this thread, so, I'm going to say it....A Woody Woodpecker Kazoo!  My sister ordered one with cereal box tops for probably 25 cents when we were kids.  (She never did get it.   >:(http://www.captainkazoo.com/backroom-2.html
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #200 on: August 05, 2012, 10:44:19 AM »
Cinnamon-flavored Trident gum.  I'm still on the hunt for it and, if I find it, I'll buy a couple of their shelf boxes.  I haven't seen it in years.

They are still available here. Want to trade for peanut butter cups and Thin Mints?

I'm in Northern CA.  Where are you that they don't sell peanut butter cups and Thin Mints?

Outside the US :) Brazil, actually.

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #201 on: August 05, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »
Happy Soup.   It was ordinary soup.  I think Campbell's made it.

My longtime frenemy Gwen had a mother would would buy stuff like that, so when the "secret decoders" came out, Gwen kindly got one for me as well.

http://www.campx.ca/SoupClubDecoderCover.JPG

Alas, the "secret" was that it was only Morse code. ::)

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #202 on: August 05, 2012, 12:57:10 PM »
I just keep thinking this every time i see the title to this thread, so, I'm going to say it....A Woody Woodpecker Kazoo!  My sister ordered one with cereal box tops for probably 25 cents when we were kids.  (She never did get it.   >:(http://www.captainkazoo.com/backroom-2.html

It could be lying behind some post office filing cabinet, waiting to find it's way to your sister.

Hey, it could happen :)

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #203 on: August 05, 2012, 05:15:03 PM »
I miss Stouffer's Lobster Thermidor. It was a boil-in-bag product back in the late 1970s. Delicious.

I also miss an antiseptic powder that our nurse grandmother used on our various wounds. I was called B.F.I. powder, which stood for Bismuth Formic Iodide. I imagine it was probably found to be histotoxic and discontinued, but man, it sure kept nasty scrapes & cuts from getting infected.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

asb8

« Reply #204 on: August 05, 2012, 05:56:18 PM »
There are several foods I miss:

Oddly enough, I miss the pizza that was served in my middle school cafeteria-a big rectangle covered with cheese and a little chunks of pepperoni. 

Also from middle school, the chocolate chip cookies-the size of a saucer, always hot from the oven and still almost-but-not-quite done, very melty and gooey.  Yum!

Hershey's Cookies and Mint candy bars.

SoCalVal

« Reply #205 on: August 05, 2012, 06:09:33 PM »
There are several foods I miss:

Oddly enough, I miss the pizza that was served in my middle school cafeteria-a big rectangle covered with cheese and a little chunks of pepperoni. 

Also from middle school, the chocolate chip cookies-the size of a saucer, always hot from the oven and still almost-but-not-quite done, very melty and gooey.  Yum!

Speaking of school food -- I hated a lot of the food served at school when I was in the LA Unified School District.  However, the one thing I always really liked and have found myself missing for years is the burritos they used to serve.

When I went to high school in San Diego, they had weird burgers where, instead of them being two split buns with meat in between, the meat was completely encased in the dough then baked.  I really liked their BBQ beef burger (sandwich?) and the cheeseburger.

Anyone remember when Oreo had it's own ice cream "line" (all cookies and cream ice creams, just the ice cream flavors were different).  I used to love their chocolate ice cream with Oreo cookie bits (I think they are selling it now again and touting it as a "new" item, which I find really odd since it was around about 20 years ago).  There was also vanilla and mint, I believe (I think there were other flavors, but I didn't eat them).

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #206 on: August 05, 2012, 06:34:58 PM »
A Radcliffe College diploma.     

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #207 on: August 05, 2012, 09:15:35 PM »
Lime Starbursts.  Does anyone else remember them?  They were in the original "Original" assortment, before they were replaced with, I think, strawberry.

Lime Starburst jelly beans.  I hate green apple flavor.  (Although I like the scent.  Go figure.)

Lime Lifesavers in the Five Flavors roll.  See above.

Gee, I think I see a theme, here. ;)
And lemon, in all of those.  They should have kept lemon and lime and gotten rid of the fake orange flavors. 

Lifesavers also used to have whole rolls of the different fruit flavors.  I remember lemon and cherry and tangerine (much better than orange) but I think cherry are the only ones left.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #208 on: August 05, 2012, 09:18:29 PM »
Lime Starbursts.  Does anyone else remember them?  They were in the original "Original" assortment, before they were replaced with, I think, strawberry.

Lime Starburst jelly beans.  I hate green apple flavor.  (Although I like the scent.  Go figure.)

Lime Lifesavers in the Five Flavors roll.  See above.

Gee, I think I see a theme, here. ;)
And lemon, in all of those.  They should have kept lemon and lime and gotten rid of the fake orange flavors. 

Lifesavers also used to have whole rolls of the different fruit flavors.  I remember lemon and cherry and tangerine (much better than orange) but I think cherry are the only ones left.

They should bring back lemon and lime and get rid of that awful green apple flavor!

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #209 on: August 05, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »
The Dare Real Fruit citrus flavored gummy candies that were shaped like little fruits, I used to love them, and then they discontinued them, I was so bummed!