Author Topic: Stuff you can't get anymore  (Read 59678 times)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
Re: Stuff you can't get anymore
« Reply #240 on: August 10, 2012, 07:13:09 AM »
Callard and Bowser Dessert Nougat.

I was sooooo dismayed to find it had disappeared. I have googled and found several that claimed to be reasonable facsimiles but none taste the same.

I can just taste it now...
In the rice paper covering. I didn't know it had gone.

Victoria

HermioneGranger

« Reply #241 on: August 10, 2012, 09:54:19 AM »
Good service from Amazon.com.  Unless you're a prime customer.  Then (I guess) you get good service.  Regular customers, not so much anymore.

No, even Amazon Prime customers have bad customer service.  It's called Lasership.   ::)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #242 on: August 10, 2012, 10:39:06 AM »
Good service from Amazon.com.  Unless you're a prime customer.  Then (I guess) you get good service.  Regular customers, not so much anymore.

No, even Amazon Prime customers have bad customer service.  It's called Lasership.   ::)

T. H. I. S.

KaraokeMom

« Reply #243 on: August 10, 2012, 10:44:02 AM »
Bath and Body Works coconut lime verbena scent.

Yes! I hate that they got rid of this. They have a coconut lime version, but it's just not the same - the verbena added something.  I'm getting kind of exasperated at BBW because they keep changing their scents.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #244 on: August 10, 2012, 02:01:16 PM »
The problem is we're not their target audience.  I think they target 18-24's who haven't developed a lasting craving for any particular scent.  I love classic scents and lament that so few of the latest ones are that.

HermioneGranger

« Reply #245 on: August 10, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »

T. H. I. S.

;D  I remember your story.  If you read the Amazon forums, lots and lots of people hate Lasership. 

Gogi

« Reply #246 on: August 10, 2012, 03:35:38 PM »
O, I feel so old -- so much of the stuff mentioned in this thread brings back my childhood and teen years.

Let's see: I miss Clairol Ultress hair color, which made my hair shiny but didn't dry it out. And Love's Wind scent from the early 1980s. I tried to find it via Web search but succeeded only in landing on a site of other people also seeking various Love fragrances (Misty and Rain both seem to have a fan base, too) and after 37 pages of "O, I loooooved Love's Wind scent!"
I gave up. Maybe someday.

O, and here's one that probably only people born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio will recognize: I miss Hough cakes.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #247 on: August 10, 2012, 03:37:27 PM »
Pixie Stix.

Yes, I know you can still get them.  But plastic is NOT the same as paper.  The sugar hit flowed so nicely out of paper; it always seems to stick to the dang plastic.

Not that I eat them anymore, but still, it's the principle of the thing!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #248 on: August 10, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »

T. H. I. S.

;D  I remember your story.  If you read the Amazon forums, lots and lots of people hate Lasership.

Oh, and if you are on the west coast, you get the ever so lovely OnTrac. You get the confirmation number, they claim they delivered in 2 days, but you don't have the package. It then shows up a few days later. So forget about taking the day off work to stay at home for delivery, it won't be there. And they'll make the status: Delievered so you can't track it any more, but you still don't have your stuff. I demanded to know if I could specifically request a carrier and they said they could not. I said fine, then I chose never to order from them again because I cannot afford to take off a week from work just to wait around for the packages. I had tried to have stuff delivered to my husband's workplace, they did the same thing, claiming the package had been delivered at SEVEN THIRTY at night, two whole hours after my husband's workplace had CLOSED!! The stuff showed up two days later. Umm, I thought I was paying for 2 day delivery...

I had this happen and 20 increasingly irate phone calls and countless emails later, I FINALLY get someone from Amazon in this country, not reading from a script who refunded my money. I was so angry, I told them I would never, ever order from them again if they insist on using a carrier that lies about its delivery dates. WHY should I pay 75 bucks a year for 2 day delivery when I am not getting my stuff in two days and I can't track my packages because the service LIES?? I went to Amazon's forums and saw dozens of pages (now hundred of pages) in a thread about how their "Prime" service just sucks. It's a shame they are ruining their good reputation, using sub par delivery services. I won't order from them again, it's not worth the aggravation.
No matter where you go, there you are...

DollyPond

« Reply #249 on: August 11, 2012, 12:41:09 AM »
I thought of another one...Black Jack gum. I guess I'm one of the few who like black licorice flavor. I haven't seen it in stores for 20 years.

I guess Amazon has it for sale. I just can't bring myself to order gum from the internet and have it shipped to me.

I'm a fan of the Clove gum.  Apparently the company rotates making their 4 flavors (Clove, Black Jack, Teaberry and one other) every 4 years.  I'm currently seeing Teaberry in stores.  Whenever I see Clove I stock up.  So keep an eye out - Black Jack should be coming around soon.

miritree

« Reply #250 on: August 11, 2012, 01:37:17 AM »
Bath and Body Works coconut lime verbena scent.

Yes! I hate that they got rid of this. They have a coconut lime version, but it's just not the same - the verbena added something.  I'm getting kind of exasperated at BBW because they keep changing their scents.

It seems this scent was popular. Why would they get rid of something people bought? My brain, it does not understand.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #251 on: August 11, 2012, 08:41:28 AM »
A short digression:

Fragrance companies today exist on their ability to create new brands to attract new customers.  Once the customers get that the new scent will have a limited run, they stockpile it against the day it's pulled from the market.  Usually around the same time said company puts out a new one that attracts another segment of the same target audience and the cycle repeats itself.  Typically about three or four years later the same company releases a discontinued item under a new name and packaging.  The life cycle of bargain scents has gotten shorter and shorter in the last ten years or so.

Avon, Yves Rocher, and Bath & Body Works all do this despite their differing distribution methods and target audience variation, with B&BW having the shortest life cycle of most of their scents.  Victoria's Secret probably also does it (which is probably why I once stockpiled Jeweled Citrus).

Check ebay for discontinued ones and only buy something that hasn't been opened.

HermioneGranger

« Reply #252 on: August 11, 2012, 10:04:26 AM »

T. H. I. S.

Oh, and if you are on the west coast, you get the ever so lovely OnTrac. You get the confirmation number, they claim they delivered in 2 days, but you don't have the package. It then shows up a few days later. So forget about taking the day off work to stay at home for delivery, it won't be there. And they'll make the status: Delievered so you can't track it any more, but you still don't have your stuff. I demanded to know if I could specifically request a carrier and they said they could not. I said fine, then I chose never to order from them again because I cannot afford to take off a week from work just to wait around for the packages. I had tried to have stuff delivered to my husband's workplace, they did the same thing, claiming the package had been delivered at SEVEN THIRTY at night, two whole hours after my husband's workplace had CLOSED!! The stuff showed up two days later. Umm, I thought I was paying for 2 day delivery...

I had this happen and 20 increasingly irate phone calls and countless emails later, I FINALLY get someone from Amazon in this country, not reading from a script who refunded my money. I was so angry, I told them I would never, ever order from them again if they insist on using a carrier that lies about its delivery dates. WHY should I pay 75 bucks a year for 2 day delivery when I am not getting my stuff in two days and I can't track my packages because the service LIES?? I went to Amazon's forums and saw dozens of pages (now hundred of pages) in a thread about how their "Prime" service just sucks. It's a shame they are ruining their good reputation, using sub par delivery services. I won't order from them again, it's not worth the aggravation.

I once had a package "out for delivery" for over 24 hours.  I called Lasership, and was told that the driver hadn't finished his rounds the day before, so it had been returned to the warehouse.  I told them that if it wasn't delivered that. day. I was calling the police and reporting the merchandise as stolen.  I then called Amazon and told them the same thing, but they told me that they didn't have any control as to what was sent by UPS and what was sent by local courier.  It was delivered that day, but I'm still seeing red.  I. hate. Lasership.

onikenbai

« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2012, 01:34:28 AM »
I thought of another one...Black Jack gum. I guess I'm one of the few who like black licorice flavor. I haven't seen it in stores for 20 years.

I guess Amazon has it for sale. I just can't bring myself to order gum from the internet and have it shipped to me.

I'm a fan of the Clove gum.  Apparently the company rotates making their 4 flavors (Clove, Black Jack, Teaberry and one other) every 4 years.  I'm currently seeing Teaberry in stores.  Whenever I see Clove I stock up.  So keep an eye out - Black Jack should be coming around soon.

I was at Sugar Mountain the other day and they had hundreds of packages of clove gum.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2012, 09:37:21 AM »
I think this is still around, I just haven't seen one in ages. 

Slush puppy machines...they were soooooo much better than slushies/icees.  I liked cherry and the raspberry the best.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah