Author Topic: Stuff you can't get anymore  (Read 61744 times)

a clever screenname

Re: Stuff you can't get anymore
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »
I don't even have a company to blame for mine. 

I can't get Lady Apples in my area.  They are tiny apples (ususally could finish each in two or three bites) that are just a touch sweeter than the larger apples.   Their diminutive size means they aren't big sellers in the apple arena, so most orchards don't grow them.

We had one grocery store that would on rare occasions have them in stock (no idea where they got them from), but that store is now closed, so now I am out of luck.

Haven't read the whole thread but if youe  in Texas I may be able to help you on this!!

I'm in Virginia, but I thank you all the same for the simple reassurance that somebody somewhere still grows them!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #286 on: August 17, 2012, 09:03:16 AM »
MacIntosh's toffee

All Dressed Chips

You need to come north.  We have these, still.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

CuriousParty

« Reply #287 on: August 17, 2012, 10:35:54 AM »
I don't even have a company to blame for mine. 

I can't get Lady Apples in my area.  They are tiny apples (ususally could finish each in two or three bites) that are just a touch sweeter than the larger apples.   Their diminutive size means they aren't big sellers in the apple arena, so most orchards don't grow them.

We had one grocery store that would on rare occasions have them in stock (no idea where they got them from), but that store is now closed, so now I am out of luck.

Haven't read the whole thread but if youe  in Texas I may be able to help you on this!!

I'm in Virginia, but I thank you all the same for the simple reassurance that somebody somewhere still grows them!

I admittedly have no idea where in Virginia you are, but if you mean Pink Lady apples - I googled "Pink Lady apples, Virginia" and came up with a list of pick-your-own orchards that still grow them.  I understand they do have a later and shorter growing season than other types of apples, but my DH also loves them so we keep a sharp eye out.

One listing is http://www.virginiaapples.org/pick-your-own/nelson.html

snowdragon

« Reply #288 on: August 17, 2012, 10:38:05 AM »
MacIntosh's toffee

All Dressed Chips

Last Place I found them was Wolfville, NS - where are you shopping  that you can find them ? I am near the Niagara/Buffalo crossings so if there is  a place I can get them, I'd love it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:46:27 AM by snowdragon »

snowdragon

« Reply #289 on: August 17, 2012, 10:39:59 AM »
Do you mean the spray that had the fake peppermints in the bottle or the earlier one with the fake ice cubes?  I thought those were so cool.

neither this was a holiday thing a few years back, it smelled like walking in a field of peppermint and was pink in color. Last two years I have not been able to get it

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #290 on: August 17, 2012, 10:44:50 AM »
Lady Apples are available here in NYC but usually only around the winter holidays. 

a clever screenname

« Reply #291 on: August 17, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
<snip>

I admittedly have no idea where in Virginia you are, but if you mean Pink Lady apples - I googled "Pink Lady apples, Virginia" and came up with a list of pick-your-own orchards that still grow them.  I understand they do have a later and shorter growing season than other types of apples, but my DH also loves them so we keep a sharp eye out.

Clearly your Google-foo is better than mine.   I actually visit Drumheller's Orchard (listed the site you posted) annually, which seems to be one of the two orchards on the list which doesn't offer Lady Apples.

I'm actually not entirely certain that the Lady Apples  that our one store supplied were Pink Lady apples or not. I seem to remember a more yellow/red separation in the apples, but that could have been Pinks which just grew in more yellow that year.

Thanks for the list!

<update for benefit of later readers - it is confirmed that the Pink Lady apples mentioned here are not the same as lady apples I was missing. But CuriousParty has provided a link in her next post which hopefully will still help me find that kind of lady apple.>
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:59:03 PM by a clever screenname »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #292 on: August 17, 2012, 11:08:25 AM »
MacIntosh's toffee

All Dressed Chips

Last Place I found them was Wolfville, NS - where are you shopping  that you can find them ? I am near the Niagara/Buffalo crossings so if there is  a place I can get them, I'd love it.

You should be able to find the All Dressed chips in any grocery store over the border.  They will be Ruffles style (rippled) but you can get them.  Costco carries boxes of the small bags, too, or at least in an assortment with other flavours.

I've seen the MacIntosh in dollar stores and candy stores.  I quit buying it because I was afraid of wrecking my teeth!  :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #293 on: August 17, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »
I also miss Regal Crown hard candy rolls.  The cherry variety tasted like real, fresh cherries. 

CuriousParty

« Reply #294 on: August 17, 2012, 01:17:48 PM »
<snip>

Clearly your Google-foo is better than mine.   I actually visit Drumheller's Orchard (listed the site you posted) annually, which seems to be one of the two orchards on the list which doesn't offer Lady Apples.

I'm actually not entirely certain that the Lady Apples  that our one store supplied were Pink Lady apples or not. I seem to remember a more yellow/red separation in the apples, but that could have been Pinks which just grew in more yellow that year.

Thanks for the list!

The Google foo thing is a bit of a sickness, really - I've spent much of my life doing some type of research for something, so now when questions arise there's an almost compulsive sense for me of "Well now that's an interesting question...I bet I can find out the answer."

With that said, I was curious about the Pink Lady v Lady apples question, so I...looked it up. Turns out there is a very comprehensive website that gives ALL KINDS of info on various apple varieties, including, yes, Lady apples which are indeed different from Pink Lady. Some of the info is where the apples are grown and where to buy. There's one farm in VA.

http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/lady

And now, having gotten way too involved in someone else's apple search :) I'm going to pretend it was research for the upcoming pie making season and go sit quietly in a corner.

o_gal

« Reply #295 on: August 17, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »
Hire Root Beer

Hires is still available but it's hard to find, especially in the US midwest. Try specialty grocers or candy+soda shops.

Amara

« Reply #296 on: August 17, 2012, 01:26:53 PM »
I subscribe to a lot of home decor magazines and I like them all, but one that I liked the most and really miss is Domino. It had such a unique, wonderful approach, and was truly special. I also miss:

TJ's Passion Fruit Ice Cream. It tasted exactly like the fruit: tart, sharp, clean. But, alas, I guess other shoppers didn't like it quite as well.

Those Silver Dragees (edible silver balls) you could put on top of sweet baked goods. You can't buy them in California or even have them shipped to California addresses any more. (Stupid lawmakers.)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #297 on: August 17, 2012, 02:11:26 PM »

Try one (or several) farmer's markets in your area. We get Lady Apples and all kinds of heirloom varieties there that don't show up in the grocery stores. Many of the heirloom varieties have very short seasons so make friends with the apple vendors (who should be showing up just about now) and ask them what varieties they may carry later on.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #298 on: August 17, 2012, 02:15:46 PM »

MacIntosh's toffee

All Dressed Chips

Oat Cakes

and that's just a start.

Snowdragon, I believe we have MacIntosh's Toffee here, and I KNOW we have All Dressed chips here, I don't know where you are, but I'm in Windsor Ontario

wheeitsme

« Reply #299 on: August 17, 2012, 02:16:56 PM »
I subscribe to a lot of home decor magazines and I like them all, but one that I liked the most and really miss is Domino. It had such a unique, wonderful approach, and was truly special. I also miss:

TJ's Passion Fruit Ice Cream. It tasted exactly like the fruit: tart, sharp, clean. But, alas, I guess other shoppers didn't like it quite as well.

Those Silver Dragees (edible silver balls) you could put on top of sweet baked goods. You can't buy them in California or even have them shipped to California addresses any more. (Stupid lawmakers.)

I think you can buy Dragees at Michael's craft stores in the cake decorating aisle.  I don't think they are the same metal BB consistency, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them there (and in different shades!).