Author Topic: Stuff you can't get anymore  (Read 57804 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Stuff you can't get anymore
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2012, 10:40:06 AM »
For my wedding, I bought a package of those, and then made little name tags to go on wine glass charms.  They were quite impressive looking, plus it was cheaper than people abandoning their wine because they forgot which was theirs.

I love this idea!  If I ever get married, I'm stealing it.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

dawbs

« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2012, 10:40:44 AM »
Pudding Pops that actually tasted like pudding and had a pudding like texture, not like a glorified fudgesicle, those were delicious! And speaking of beauty products, I miss those fruit scented hair sprays, and soda flavored roll on lip smackers.

I also miss having a roller skating rink here in town, wishing that fad didn't go away, I can't get the hang of roller blading!

Had to add the scratch and sniff stickers,  scented markers, shrinky dinks, (which could also go under the things that sound dirty thread), cinnamon flavored toothpicks (the real strong spicy kind), Avon press on eye shadow (never tried it, but when I wanted to, they discontinued it)

.........to be continued, lol

I heard that using the lids from deli containers (thin plastic) are good shrinky dink substitutes.

Shrinky Dinks still exist.  We made some just a few years back.  It was a kit that made them into keychains.  So cool 8).  I'm sure they're hard to find though...

And Sophia just posted a similar thing.  The ones we got were the ones you color in and then bake - old school style.  No high-tech printing options.
I bought them in either michaels or Joann's here about 3 weeks ago :)

sevenday

« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2012, 10:40:59 AM »
I, too, mourn the loss of sugar-free koolaid.  :(

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2012, 10:49:58 AM »
Shoot!  About a month ago, I threw away about 10 boxes of sugar free tropical punch because I can't have Nutrasweet anymore. 
You can buy the regular kool-aid, and a bag of Splenda.

jmarvellous

« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2012, 10:55:57 AM »
I, too, mourn the loss of sugar-free koolaid.  :(

Weird question, but I buy unsweetened Kool-Aid (lemon, for homemade detergent and dishwasher soap). Couldn't you just make that and add your own sweetener?

Otterpop

« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2012, 11:02:08 AM »
Pink Panther Frosted Flakes.  They came out around the time of the first Pink Panther movie (w/ Peter Sellers).  No one I know remembers they existed, but I do.  They had a distinct "pink" flavor, and turned the milk pink.  That, and Saturday morning cartoons = heaven.

Jaelle

« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2012, 11:15:34 AM »
Pudding Pops that actually tasted like pudding and had a pudding like texture, not like a glorified fudgesicle, those were delicious! And speaking of beauty products, I miss those fruit scented hair sprays, and soda flavored roll on lip smackers.

I also miss having a roller skating rink here in town, wishing that fad didn't go away, I can't get the hang of roller blading!

Had to add the scratch and sniff stickers,  scented markers, shrinky dinks, (which could also go under the things that sound dirty thread), cinnamon flavored toothpicks (the real strong spicy kind), Avon press on eye shadow (never tried it, but when I wanted to, they discontinued it)

.........to be continued, lol

I heard that using the lids from deli containers (thin plastic) are good shrinky dink substitutes.

Shrinky Dinks still exist.  We made some just a few years back.  It was a kit that made them into keychains.  So cool 8).  I'm sure they're hard to find though...

And Sophia just posted a similar thing.  The ones we got were the ones you color in and then bake - old school style.  No high-tech printing options.
I bought them in either michaels or Joann's here about 3 weeks ago :)

I think I saw 'em in A.C. Moore (also a craft store) or Michael's.  Check the scrapbooking section!
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

LibraryLady

« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2012, 03:23:42 PM »
Lux dishwashing liquid.  I worked in a laundry during college, and it resulted in severe ecxema on my hands.
Even Ivory liquid will break out my hands and I can smell the lye in it.

LL

SoCalVal

« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »
For my wedding, I bought a package of those, and then made little name tags to go on wine glass charms.  They were quite impressive looking, plus it was cheaper than people abandoning their wine because they forgot which was theirs.

I love this idea!  If I ever get married, I'm stealing it.   :)

I like this idea, too, and I AM getting married soon.  Must run off to find them...

Jloreli

« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2012, 03:42:16 PM »
Ben and Jerry's Coconut Almond Fudge Chip ice cream

Humpty Dumpty Chips....particularly Ketchup Chip. I can occasionally find other brands of Ketchup Chips but they aren't the same as the Humpty Dumpty Brand!

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2012, 04:33:45 PM »
Remember when Ho-Ho's used to be wrapped in foil?  They don't taste right in a plastic thingy.

And when KFC used to be "Kentucky Fried Chicken", with a big bucket for a sign?  It's still a craving, but just doesn't taste the same  ::)

Stouffer's creamed chicken.  I used to boil a bag of that and put it over rice.  I don't even know how I'd find a similar recipe.

And caps-those little things we would bang with a hammer.  I understand a lot of noisy/fireworky things are out of the question, but I don't remember anything dangerous about them (but then again, I was a kid)

Stuckey's restaurants-when I was a kid, and my dad drove from Ohio to Florida, it was our first Stuckey's that really said "South".  Then one opened in Mansfield, Ohio  >:(.  Now I AM in the South and can't find any.  I think I'd kill for fried chicken and a pecan pie now.

Howard Johnson's restaurants-they had THE BEST hot dog, wrapped in a thick piece of toast.  5 Guys dogs with relish are close, but don't have the toast.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:37:50 PM by guihong »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2012, 04:45:07 PM »
Remember when Ho-Ho's used to be wrapped in foil?  They don't taste right in a plastic thingy.

And when KFC used to be "Kentucky Fried Chicken", with a big bucket for a sign?  It's still a craving, but just doesn't taste the same  ::)

Howard Johnson's restaurants-they had THE BEST hot dog, wrapped in a thick piece of toast.  5 Guys dogs with relish are close, but don't have the toast.

I remember all of these!  HoJos were where we ate on family vacations.  we never ate out any other time, but HoJo's was our first choice.  Loved them!

MsCopper

« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2012, 07:37:06 PM »
I just saw that Vermont country store has the sweet earth solid perfume that a PP mentioned.

Malibu musk perfume. I've found the body spray but it just isn't the same. Hard candy "Liquid" perfume.. I loooooved that stuff to death. Discontinued. I've seen bottles on ebay for over 100 bucks.

Pudding pops. The original ones were creamy and delicious. I'll probably remember more to add soon. Great thread!
"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday"

Vall

« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2012, 08:38:13 PM »
There was a pair of shoes that I wore back in the 70's.  I think we called them earth shoes.  They were a simple oxford with very flexible soles but the heel area was lower than the rest of the sole.  They were so comfortable.  Lots of people wore them.  They were brown or black leather (suede?) with a flat seam around the toe and only had about four lace eyelets (two on each side).  Anyone remember them?  I've always had wide, flat feet and they were the most comfy pair of shoes.

Viceroy cigarettes.  I smoked them exclusively for 20 years and was heartbroken when they stopped making them.  I didn't like any other commercial brand so I started rolling my own with premium tobaccos.

Act 2 Butter Lovers popcorn.  Yes, they still make it but it just isn't the same as it used to be.

I'm not a big fan of french fries but I did like the ones McDonald's used to make.  I've bought them once since they changed their recipe.  No thank you.

Mountain Dew in glass bottles--especially with sugar instead of corn sweetener.  It just doesn't taste the same out of plastic or cans.  I don't drink it anymore.

And I miss normal light bulbs.  I don't like CFL's at all.

Soprych

« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2012, 10:34:55 PM »
Pink Panther Frosted Flakes.  They came out around the time of the first Pink Panther movie (w/ Peter Sellers).  No one I know remembers they existed, but I do.  They had a distinct "pink" flavor, and turned the milk pink.  That, and Saturday morning cartoons = heaven.

I loved their jingle: Pink panther flakes are sweet.as.sweet.as.you.can.get.the color of piiiiiink! Tinkle me pink