Author Topic: Stuff you can't get anymore  (Read 51372 times)

wheeitsme

Re: Stuff you can't get anymore
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2012, 04:46:09 PM »
Fizzies!  Like flavored Alka Selser.  You drop the tablets into a glass of water and they effervesce.  They came in soda pop flavors like root beer, cola, lemon-lime, orange, etc.

We use to joke that an event was "as exciting as a flood in a Fizzies factory." >:D

I finally saw fizzies in a store a two years ago.  I don't think they were selling well - kids didn't know what they were  :( and they were expensive.  I did buy a couple of packets of grape though.  I loved me some fizzies.  I'd eat 'em like candy.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2012, 04:51:21 PM »
I thought of another one...Black Jack gum. I guess I'm one of the few who like black licorice flavor. I haven't seen it in stores for 20 years.

I guess Amazon has it for sale. I just can't bring myself to order gum from the internet and have it shipped to me.

Are you near a Cracker Barrel?  They sell it in the gift shop there.
I've heard the name but I haven't seen one...a search of their website indicates they are not on the West Coast at all. The closest store to me would be in Arizona -- that's a long way to go for a pack of gum. (sigh)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »
There was a pair of shoes that I wore back in the 70's.  I think we called them earth shoes.  They were a simple oxford with very flexible soles but the heel area was lower than the rest of the sole.  They were so comfortable.  Lots of people wore them.  They were brown or black leather (suede?) with a flat seam around the toe and only had about four lace eyelets (two on each side).  Anyone remember them?  I've always had wide, flat feet and they were the most comfy pair of shoes.

My mom looked for those a couple of years ago and never found anything similar, but she and I talked about them in detail; you're not the only one who misses them!

You can get them here http://www.earthbrands.com/kalsoearthshoe
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2012, 04:56:46 PM »
There's a restaurant where I don't like the food except for their bread, soup, and fried chicken wings.  It. Was. The. Best.  They must have changed suppliers because the bread is not the same and the wings are no longer available.  The soup is still the same, but I'm not going out of my way just for soup.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2012, 05:02:48 PM »
You can get Fizzies at Amazon.  They were made with saccharine back in the day but now they're made with Splenda.

Jones

« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2012, 05:17:19 PM »
Regarding shrinky dinks: We did some Disney ones for Jean Bean's last birthday. Found them in the toy section of Walmart.

Regarding Excedrin: I understand the company is going to have product on the shelf later this year, but they haven't been clear as to which product will be first (Excedrin, Gas-X, etc.) It's all that helps DH's headaches, and no, the generic stuff is NOT the same. It has unpleasant side effects for him. Currently he gets what we've hoarded, I get to use the generics because I don't get the side effects.

As for what I miss that I can't get anymore...Anyone remember Wuzzles? I had one I loved until it fell apart, the panda-beaver one. My sister had a bumblebee lion. I wish I could get some of those crazy little animal crosses for my kids!

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2012, 05:18:43 PM »
There was a pair of shoes that I wore back in the 70's.  I think we called them earth shoes.  They were a simple oxford with very flexible soles but the heel area was lower than the rest of the sole.  They were so comfortable.  Lots of people wore them.  They were brown or black leather (suede?) with a flat seam around the toe and only had about four lace eyelets (two on each side).  Anyone remember them?  I've always had wide, flat feet and they were the most comfy pair of shoes.

My mom looked for those a couple of years ago and never found anything similar, but she and I talked about them in detail; you're not the only one who misses them!

Zappos has Kalso Earth shoes in updated styles.

I still have my 1975 ones, complete with the burlap tote bag they came in. 

Snooks

« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2012, 05:36:36 PM »
As for what I miss that I can't get anymore...Anyone remember Wuzzles? I had one I loved until it fell apart, the panda-beaver one. My sister had a bumblebee lion. I wish I could get some of those crazy little animal crosses for my kids!

I'd forgotten all about them.  I can't remember if I just watched the cartoon or if me/my friend had the toys.

drzim

« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2012, 06:56:34 PM »
I thought of another one...Black Jack gum. I guess I'm one of the few who like black licorice flavor. I haven't seen it in stores for 20 years.

I guess Amazon has it for sale. I just can't bring myself to order gum from the internet and have it shipped to me.

I just had some Black Jack gum the other day!  I got it at Mel's Drive In--they have a bunch of old time candies for sale at the counter, like Sugar Daddies,
Necco wafers, abba zabba, and charleston chews to name a few. 

There are several Mel's in both Northern and Southern California.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2012, 07:07:29 PM »
Well, I found one from my list, Wild Cherry Pepsi, found it at Shoppers Drug Mart this afternoon, and HAD to get myself a bottle, now I just hope it sticks around and will be available in 2L and cans!

LazyDaisy

« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2012, 07:11:44 PM »

I just had some Black Jack gum the other day!  I got it at Mel's Drive In--they have a bunch of old time candies for sale at the counter, like Sugar Daddies,
Necco wafers, abba zabba, and charleston chews to name a few. 

There are several Mel's in both Northern and Southern California.
Thanks for the tip. I went to their website but all their So Cal locations are clustered in the LA/Hollywood area. If I'm ever in out that way, I'll definitely check them out. It's looks so cute.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Rohanna

« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2012, 08:06:07 PM »

You can get them here http://www.earthbrands.com/kalsoearthshoe

They sell earth shoes at walmart here.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2012, 08:12:52 PM »
Cinnamon-flavored Trident gum.  I'm still on the hunt for it and, if I find it, I'll buy a couple of their shelf boxes.  I haven't seen it in years.

They are still available here. Want to trade for peanut butter cups and Thin Mints?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2012, 08:28:14 PM »
Excedrin.
Is that gone for good?  I thought/hoped it was a temporary product recall or something.

Oh dear, that was the only thing that really worked on my tension headaches & I'm almost out. :'(

FYI...Walgreen's has their generic Excedrin on shelf...it has the same active ingredients as Excedrin Migraine.  I bought some the other day for a friend of mine.  http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-migraine-relief-caplets/ID=prod2662226-product

They also have their generic Buffrin for those who are looking for that product  http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-aspirin-325-mg-enteric-coated-tablets/ID=prod918054-product
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

alkira6

« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »
Clearly Canadian flavored water in the blue glass bottle.
St. Ives Alpha Hydroxy moisturizer in the pump bottle