Author Topic: Stuff you can't get anymore  (Read 60277 times)

Judah

• California, U.S.A
Re: Stuff you can't get anymore
« Reply #300 on: August 17, 2012, 02:59:01 PM »
Domino. It had such a unique, wonderful approach, and was truly special. I also miss:

TJ's Passion Fruit Ice Cream. It tasted exactly like the fruit: tart, sharp, clean. But, alas, I guess other shoppers didn't like it quite as well.

Those Silver Dragees (edible silver balls) you could put on top of sweet baked goods. You can't buy them in California or even have them shipped to California addresses any more. (Stupid lawmakers.)

My husband does a lot of business in Nevada, so he'll visit a cake shop there that sells them and bring them back for me.  There are so many things that can't be bought in California anymore that are still available  in Nv that he often goes with a shopping list.

FYI, there is no law in California that prohibits the sale of dragees. It's all the work of one overzealous lawyer from the North Bay who went around suing people over some perceived, but not actual, risk and now no one is willing to take the risk of selling them.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:01:16 PM by Judah »
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Amara

« Reply #301 on: August 17, 2012, 03:20:42 PM »
Interesting about the Silver Dragees. Thanks for the information.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #302 on: August 17, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »
Hire Root Beer

Hires is still available but it's hard to find, especially in the US midwest. Try specialty grocers or candy+soda shops.
Shoppers Food Warehouse*, in the Mid-Atlantic region, but only  in the two-liter sizes. 

*Not a warehouse club like Costco or Sams, in spite of the name.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #303 on: August 17, 2012, 04:48:21 PM »
On a completely different note:

Rubbermaid high-sided litter boxes.  Domino insists on peeing standing up (Yes, he's neutered.)  and this litter box was the perfect height and size.  Most covered and high-sided are two pieces, letting urine get caught in the seam between top and bottom, not that Domino would ever enter that notorious cat trap known as a covered litter box.  Petco has a one-piece box, but it is very large, making washing it awkward.  I have two Rubbermaid boxes, but can't get more (I have four cats.  That's a lot of boxes.) because they are discontinued.

I've been trying to find some sifting cat pan liners, since Max prefers the scoopable litter.  I understand that one brand discontinued one type and are coming out with some that are thicker, due to customer complaints, but that isn't until January.  Plus, since he's a large cat he needs a litter pan the size of a bus, and I'm having a hard time finding liners that fit the one I have.  I've found some that are just a little too small and I'm using those for the time being, but I'd love to find some that actually fit.

rain

« Reply #304 on: August 17, 2012, 09:00:40 PM »
DH loved chocodiles ... but can't find them in stores  :(

I have found them available on-line, but there's a catch.  You have to place a huge $$$ order to get them  :(

I also miss discontinued Girls Scout Cookies (the Cafe cookies) and the "new" thin mints don't do it for us.
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Kaypeep

« Reply #305 on: August 17, 2012, 11:13:33 PM »
I miss old landline telephones.  Corded ones that you could cradle under your shoulder while you did the dishes without having buttons that your chin would hit and accidentally disconnect a caller.   I loathe cordless phones, speaker phone and plug in headsets.  Same with cell phones.  Something about the way the speakers and recievers work block out the pauses and breaths that help a conversation flow naturally.  Since you can't hear them, both callers tend to start talking at the same time and over eachother, or the tone of the conversation just seems to lack something.  Plus, being locked into a set distance from the phone made you focus.  Now with wireless/cordless people wander physically and mentally and aren't always 'in' the conversation.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #306 on: August 18, 2012, 06:31:07 AM »
I still have a corded headset and you can still get them if you keep looking.

My college buddy's ex was once on the phone with a furniture store whose customer service person told her to call back on a corded phone for security reasons.

I also think that corded receivers are more reliable and have better sound quality because they don't depend on a signal.  I don't care if anyone calls me old-fashioned over this.

SoCalVal

« Reply #307 on: August 18, 2012, 03:53:08 PM »
I have a corded landline at my house, and DF and I also have one in the new house.  It's not hard to find one (I bought both of them through Amazon).  We prefer to have at least one corded phone for our landlines in case something ever happens with the cell phones and/or electricity.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #308 on: August 18, 2012, 04:39:54 PM »
It's not that you can't buy a corded phone, it's just hard to find one without buttons on the handset -- so you can hold the phone with your shoulder up to your ear without mashing random buttons.

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #309 on: August 18, 2012, 09:05:56 PM »
I also miss an antiseptic powder that our nurse grandmother used on our various wounds. I was called B.F.I. powder, which stood for Bismuth Formic Iodide. I imagine it was probably found to be histotoxic and discontinued, but man, it sure kept nasty scrapes & cuts from getting infected.

OMgoodness! I remember that stuff, and you're right, it was great. Thanks for the memories! :)
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

BarensMom

« Reply #310 on: August 19, 2012, 12:27:41 PM »
I have a corded landline at my house, and DF and I also have one in the new house.  It's not hard to find one (I bought both of them through Amazon).  We prefer to have at least one corded phone for our landlines in case something ever happens with the cell phones and/or electricity.

When we first moved into our house, we had a huge power outage.  In August.  In 100+ degree weather.  My DH's expensive, sophisticated phone system was useless, so I went to my mom's and brought over her old, beat-up corded telephone.  I'm afraid I was quite the SS during that time, I used that phone to pester PG&E non-stop until it was fixed (4 days later).

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #311 on: August 19, 2012, 06:10:54 PM »
Rolaids soft chew antacids--I hate  tums and that seems to be all that's available now

Rolaids were recalled in 2010 because foreign objects were turning up in the manufacturing process. I was not pleased, because those softchews were the only thing that worked on my middle-of-the-night heartburn attacks.

However, I recently found store-brand antacid softchews in my supermarket, and they seem to work just as well. This was a Hannaford supermarket, which is based in the Northeastern U.S. Judging by your username you aren't from here, but look around. What I found came in a zip-lock pouch similar to what Hall's cough drops come in, rather than a roll. Good luck! (If you're desperate, PM me and maybe I can send you some.)
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

PeterM

« Reply #312 on: August 19, 2012, 08:01:31 PM »
I miss old landline telephones.  Corded ones that you could cradle under your shoulder while you did the dishes without having buttons that your chin would hit and accidentally disconnect a caller.   I loathe cordless phones, speaker phone and plug in headsets. 

My wife found me an old-school dumbbell headset that plugs into a cell-phone. It turns out not to fit my cell phone, of course, but it does fit her smart-phone. I think she got it on Amazon, but I'm not sure.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #313 on: August 19, 2012, 08:45:05 PM »

I miss old landline telephones.  Corded ones that you could cradle under your shoulder while you did the dishes without having buttons that your chin would hit and accidentally disconnect a caller.   I loathe cordless phones, speaker phone and plug in headsets. 

Walmart had something that looked like the old handsets that plugged into the cell phone. I wanted one to much!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #314 on: August 19, 2012, 10:55:23 PM »
...Walmart had something that looked like the old handsets that plugged into the cell phone. ...

That seems wrong somehow.