Author Topic: Stuff you can't get anymore  (Read 57589 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Stuff you can't get anymore
« Reply #315 on: August 19, 2012, 11:28:38 PM »

crs1881

« Reply #316 on: August 20, 2012, 03:55:14 PM »
Clarke's Spaghetti Sauce  :'(

When I was a kid growing up in Southern Ontario in the late 60s early 70s, it came in a long cardboard box with a can of the sauce in one end and, visible through a cellophane window, the dry spaghetti in the other. It was enough to serve two adults and two kids.

Eventually they changed to selling it only by the can, sans spaghetti.

Then one day my Mom couldn't get it anymore. There was one store in town that would order it in but only if she bought a whole case. Which she did until they finally announced that even they couldn't get it anymore.

Last I saw of Clarke's was in the fall of 1989 in a grocery store in Etobicoke (Toronto).

Tom

Jones

« Reply #317 on: August 20, 2012, 04:27:11 PM »

I miss old landline telephones.  Corded ones that you could cradle under your shoulder while you did the dishes without having buttons that your chin would hit and accidentally disconnect a caller.   I loathe cordless phones, speaker phone and plug in headsets. 

Walmart had something that looked like the old handsets that plugged into the cell phone. I wanted one to much!

Staples has them, and I think they appeared at the local 7-11 recently too. I want to get one and set my cell to a vintage ringer. At parties and work gatherings I'd have someone call me; I'll pick up my huge Mary Poppins bag, riffle through it, and pull out this vintage-looking phone and answer. Bonus points if I can put something else in the bag that sounds like a dial up modem and attach it to a tablet.

No, I won't really do it, but it does make me giggle to think about.

Elisabunny

« Reply #318 on: August 20, 2012, 05:23:10 PM »

I miss old landline telephones.  Corded ones that you could cradle under your shoulder while you did the dishes without having buttons that your chin would hit and accidentally disconnect a caller.   I loathe cordless phones, speaker phone and plug in headsets. 

Walmart had something that looked like the old handsets that plugged into the cell phone. I wanted one to much!

Staples has them, and I think they appeared at the local 7-11 recently too. I want to get one and set my cell to a vintage ringer. At parties and work gatherings I'd have someone call me; I'll pick up my huge Mary Poppins bag, riffle through it, and pull out this vintage-looking phone and answer. Bonus points if I can put something else in the bag that sounds like a dial up modem and attach it to a tablet.

No, I won't really do it, but it does make me giggle to think about.

That would be Brilliant;D
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

onikenbai

« Reply #319 on: August 20, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
City directories.   

They were a great record of who lived where, when they lived there and their occupations.

It depends.  Some cities in Canada still produce them but it depends on the companies who publish them and the demand for them.  They are absolutely invaluable to me for work and in about 10 years we are going to be in trouble because of the growing data gap.  Toronto stopped publishing them 2001.  Hamilton has them up to 2011.  It's hit and miss.

onikenbai

« Reply #320 on: August 20, 2012, 10:34:24 PM »

MacIntosh's toffee

All Dressed Chips

Oat Cakes

and that's just a start.

Snowdragon, I believe we have MacIntosh's Toffee here, and I KNOW we have All Dressed chips here, I don't know where you are, but I'm in Windsor Ontario

You can get the toffee at http://www.sugarmountain.ca/  Call before you go as they're sometimes out of it.

BarensMom

« Reply #321 on: August 21, 2012, 01:50:07 AM »
Has anyone mentioned Excedrin?  My sister and husband both suffer from chronic headaches and that was the only thing that helped.  I understand they've been recalled.  The generic versions out there just don't work for either of them. 

snowdragon

« Reply #322 on: August 21, 2012, 02:41:50 AM »

MacIntosh's toffee

All Dressed Chips

Oat Cakes

and that's just a start.

Snowdragon, I believe we have MacIntosh's Toffee here, and I KNOW we have All Dressed chips here, I don't know where you are, but I'm in Windsor Ontario

You can get the toffee at http://www.sugarmountain.ca/  Call before you go as they're sometimes out of it.

thank you, the niagara falls one is not too far away from me. :)

Cyradis

« Reply #323 on: August 21, 2012, 03:59:10 PM »
Lyle's Golden Syrup in tins or glass jars. The supermarkets only carry it in easy to squeeze plastic bottles.  It's easier and cleaner to use and store but it's just not the same.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #324 on: August 21, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »
I just bought some Lyle's Golden Syrup in a tin about 2 months ago.  My supermarket carries it and I think the tins are about 8 or 10 ounce size.  Delicious stuff.

Irk Splee

• The Lurker Who Talks Too Much
  • I'm not always sure how to deal with people
    • Fanfics, Memes, and Other Fandom Madness
« Reply #325 on: August 21, 2012, 07:17:12 PM »
-Cheap headband-style headphones. I used to be able to get these so easily at places like Rite-Aid and CVS. I'd buy a pair for five dollars, they'd work for a few months before the headband snapped or an ear broke off, then I'd walk the short distance to get a replacement with no fuss. I LIKED it that way. Nowadays, all I see in the headband style are super expensive headphones that I would never wear on my walks. Not only is the sound TOO good and therefore distracting, I'd rather not be mugged. I did try getting a pair of 30 dollar headband headphones since it was the cheapest the store had, but those lasted shorter than the old pharmacy ones did. Now the only cheap portables I see in stores are earbuds, which I absolutely loathe. They hurt and they fall out. I did manage to find the kind that clip onto my ear on eBay, and those work well enough, but they tangle very easily. Why'd they have to go and fix something that wasn't broken?

-Lemon Coke/Pepsi Twist. Someone upthread mentioned these, and I have to agree. I do sometimes add a lemon wedge to my cola when in restaurants, but it isn't the same.

-Berries & Cream Dr. Pepper. Goodness, I loved this stuff. I don't even know what I would compare it to. I think it existed for a summer, and that was it.

-Banana Oreos. I love chocolate and banana! I saw them once, bought a box, devoured it, and then never saw it again...

-Ignition Dance Pads - this was a mat-style controller for Playstation 1/Playstation 2 that you used with your feet - it was meant for dancing video games like Dance Dance Revolution and In The Groove. I had three of these mats, but two of them died recently and I'm down to one. I know that the PS2 is a dinosaur by now and I should have expected them to stop making controllers for it sooner or later, but the idea that I'll soon be unable to play my beloved dance games HURTS. How am I supposed to exercise now?! I still occasionally see cheaper dance controllers in places like Five Below, but the cheapy brands are utterly worthless. This is definitely a hobby where you want to pay good money for quality, and it seems as if I can't anymore.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #326 on: August 21, 2012, 07:26:08 PM »
Ever try looking for the headphones in dollar stores?  That's where I got my last two pairs.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #327 on: August 21, 2012, 07:35:02 PM »
-Cheap headband-style headphones. I used to be able to get these so easily at places like Rite-Aid and CVS. I'd buy a pair for five dollars, they'd work for a few months before the headband snapped or an ear broke off, then I'd walk the short distance to get a replacement with no fuss. I LIKED it that way. Nowadays, all I see in the headband style are super expensive headphones that I would never wear on my walks. Not only is the sound TOO good and therefore distracting, I'd rather not be mugged. I did try getting a pair of 30 dollar headband headphones since it was the cheapest the store had, but those lasted shorter than the old pharmacy ones did. Now the only cheap portables I see in stores are earbuds, which I absolutely loathe. They hurt and they fall out. I did manage to find the kind that clip onto my ear on eBay, and those work well enough, but they tangle very easily. Why'd they have to go and fix something that wasn't broken?

Do you have a Family Dollar near you? They sell three-packs of headphones for $5. One pair is the traditional headband kind, the other is the headband-less kind that clips over your ears but the phones are the same size as the headband type. The third is the clip-over with small earbud-sized phones that sit just outside the ear. They're pretty sturdy for being so cheap. And if you don't like wearing the non-headband kind on your walks, you can use them elsewhere (do you listen to music at work?) or give them away.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #328 on: August 21, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »
Body Shop "Green Apple" bath/shower gel, and foam bath.

They did revive it for a short period about a year ago, and I laid in a stock, but it is getting low alas. The bathroom smelled sharp and crisp, like an apple.

And when I tried to get Tea Tree Oil soap from Body Shop the assistant said people prefer facial washes, but I like soap for my hands. 

There used to be a shop called "L'herbier de Provence" in Camden, London UK, and they did two perfumes, Vervaine and Citron Vert, both lemony, but the firm closed down.

I was going to say, I know a couple soapmakers that sell tea tree products/may be able to make you tea tree hand soap...but it looks like you're in the UK, and I'm in the US.

To the poster who posted about dance pads...I have one in my basement for the PS2 (not sure the brand but I think it's a better one, and it's barely used)--PM if you're ever interested. I didn't use it much, and it's not going anywhere ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:47:59 PM by BabyMama »

IMissItaly

« Reply #329 on: August 21, 2012, 08:33:31 PM »
Nabisco Bacon flavored crackers. They tasted nothing like bacon, but darn it they were good! If I had known they were going to discontinue them a few years ago I would have indulged my love of them a lot more often!

And a favorite from my childhood into my late 20's: Hardy's Peanut Brittle. Made by a local man in my hometown only during the winter holiday season. It was the BEST BRITTLE EVER! When I lived in other countries my Mom would mail it to me in care packages. Jim, the owner, was tickled pink that I wanted it shipped to me and always gave her free bags to send. Sadly, Jim has passed away and it doesn't appear that his family wanted to keep up the tradition. I miss it so.  :'(