Author Topic: Stuff you can't get anymore  (Read 59784 times)

Irk Splee

• The Lurker Who Talks Too Much
  • I'm not always sure how to deal with people
    • Fanfics, Memes, and Other Fandom Madness
Re: Stuff you can't get anymore
« Reply #330 on: August 21, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »
-Cheap headband-style headphones. I used to be able to get these so easily at places like Rite-Aid and CVS. I'd buy a pair for five dollars, they'd work for a few months before the headband snapped or an ear broke off, then I'd walk the short distance to get a replacement with no fuss. I LIKED it that way. Nowadays, all I see in the headband style are super expensive headphones that I would never wear on my walks. Not only is the sound TOO good and therefore distracting, I'd rather not be mugged. I did try getting a pair of 30 dollar headband headphones since it was the cheapest the store had, but those lasted shorter than the old pharmacy ones did. Now the only cheap portables I see in stores are earbuds, which I absolutely loathe. They hurt and they fall out. I did manage to find the kind that clip onto my ear on eBay, and those work well enough, but they tangle very easily. Why'd they have to go and fix something that wasn't broken?

Do you have a Family Dollar near you? They sell three-packs of headphones for $5. One pair is the traditional headband kind, the other is the headband-less kind that clips over your ears but the phones are the same size as the headband type. The third is the clip-over with small earbud-sized phones that sit just outside the ear. They're pretty sturdy for being so cheap. And if you don't like wearing the non-headband kind on your walks, you can use them elsewhere (do you listen to music at work?) or give them away.

I don't know of any Family Dollars or equal level stores around here. Closest to that style I can think of is Five Below, and even all of their headband headphones are the kinds that cover the ear completely, which I don't like walking with. I feel like they block out sound too much. Maybe a Five Below that's not in the middle of nowhere would have better selection, but since that's where I live... ah well. I have a pair of Beats headphones for home use - 300 bucks but worth every penny, those things are my darlings - but no way would I leave the house in them. I do have the headband-less clip ones and I like them, even if I still miss the headband ones... though even for the clips, I needed to go on eBay. Whatever it takes, I guess!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #331 on: August 22, 2012, 06:32:13 AM »
-Cheap headband-style headphones. I used to be able to get these so easily at places like Rite-Aid and CVS. I'd buy a pair for five dollars, they'd work for a few months before the headband snapped or an ear broke off, then I'd walk the short distance to get a replacement with no fuss. I LIKED it that way. Nowadays, all I see in the headband style are super expensive headphones that I would never wear on my walks. Not only is the sound TOO good and therefore distracting, I'd rather not be mugged. I did try getting a pair of 30 dollar headband headphones since it was the cheapest the store had, but those lasted shorter than the old pharmacy ones did. Now the only cheap portables I see in stores are earbuds, which I absolutely loathe. They hurt and they fall out. I did manage to find the kind that clip onto my ear on eBay, and those work well enough, but they tangle very easily. Why'd they have to go and fix something that wasn't broken?

Do you have a Family Dollar near you? They sell three-packs of headphones for $5. One pair is the traditional headband kind, the other is the headband-less kind that clips over your ears but the phones are the same size as the headband type. The third is the clip-over with small earbud-sized phones that sit just outside the ear. They're pretty sturdy for being so cheap. And if you don't like wearing the non-headband kind on your walks, you can use them elsewhere (do you listen to music at work?) or give them away.

I don't know of any Family Dollars or equal level stores around here. Closest to that style I can think of is Five Below, and even all of their headband headphones are the kinds that cover the ear completely, which I don't like walking with. I feel like they block out sound too much. Maybe a Five Below that's not in the middle of nowhere would have better selection, but since that's where I live... ah well. I have a pair of Beats headphones for home use - 300 bucks but worth every penny, those things are my darlings - but no way would I leave the house in them. I do have the headband-less clip ones and I like them, even if I still miss the headband ones... though even for the clips, I needed to go on eBay. Whatever it takes, I guess!

Maybe something like... this?

http://www.encoredataproducts.com/Disposable-AE-06-Stereo-Headphone-p-3142.html

They've got bulk discount rates, so if you wanted to order, like, 20 at a time you could do so.  And free shipping over $50 (which is 32 or more)

demarco

« Reply #332 on: October 14, 2012, 09:15:57 PM »
Lands End used to have women's fleece crewneck tops.  I loved them.  They were comfy and came  out of the dryer looking great.  I've been wearing them for years and years.  I was planning to get some new ones this year and now I understand that they have been discontinued.  LL Bean has scrunch necks and vee necks but it's just not the same.  I want my crewnecks!

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #333 on: October 14, 2012, 11:02:42 PM »
Fetish Perfume
Crystal Pepsi (loved that stuff)
GLO jeans in the Flame style... who in the world decided that skinny jeans were awesome?
POD on all things Lime flavored and Coconut Lime Verbena... hoping they will bring it back, or I will have to go all sorts of Amazon.

On a brighter note, I just picked up a box of Count Chocula and Boo Berry. I <3 Target for the Halloween cereal!
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

mmswm

« Reply #334 on: October 14, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »
I can't remember the brand name, but there used to be this amazing honey mustard based bbq sauce that I absolutely LOVED.  I'm allergic to tomatoes, so this particular sauce was an awesome fine for me.  It disappeared suddenly from the store shelves about 3 years ago.  I still haven't found a good replacement.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

BarensMom

« Reply #335 on: October 15, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »
I may have mentioned this before, but Jack in the Box used to sell burritos.  They were just as addictive as their tacos.  30 years later, I still pull up to the JIB drive through and want those burritos. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #336 on: October 15, 2012, 01:52:09 PM »
I'm reminded of a very brief period of time (blink and you miss it), when Burger King had a meatloaf sandwich.  I remember liking it.

I miss Wendy's old french fries.  The new ones are dry and salty.  :P

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #337 on: October 15, 2012, 02:06:53 PM »
Shower soothers. They are these tablets you'd put on the floor of the shower. The water and steam would release the stuff you'd breathe in to help clear congestion. Can't find them anywhere local now.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #338 on: October 15, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »
I loved those!  I used my last one the last time I was sick. 

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #339 on: October 15, 2012, 02:24:27 PM »
I do see they're on Amazon. Will have to add to my next order.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #340 on: October 15, 2012, 02:41:47 PM »
Shower soothers. They are these tablets you'd put on the floor of the shower. The water and steam would release the stuff you'd breathe in to help clear congestion. Can't find them anywhere local now.

I had never heard of these, so I went looking online, and you can also make sometime similar, if you're so inclined.

http://beingfrugalbychoice.blogspot.com/2012/03/homemade-vicks-vapor-shower-disks.html

Mikayla

« Reply #341 on: October 15, 2012, 03:06:48 PM »
Old London Waffle Cheese Crackers.  They don't make them anymore and apparently there's some substitutions floating around, but not the real thing.  They were round waffle shaped crackers with some kind of fake cheddar cheese inside and I was addicted to them when I was little.

I also miss fruit flavored Good n Plenty. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #342 on: October 15, 2012, 03:37:38 PM »

I had never heard of these, so I went looking online, and you can also make sometime similar, if you're so inclined.

http://beingfrugalbychoice.blogspot.com/2012/03/homemade-vicks-vapor-shower-disks.html
Awesome   :D
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

thlayly

• I love animals, singing and reading!
« Reply #343 on: October 15, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »
Tide Lavender and Vanilla Simple Pleasures Laundry detergent- and the matching Downy Lavender and Vanilla Simple Pleasures Fabric Softener. My laundry smelled so good. And the scent lasted in my drawers.

Tide came out with Tide Lavender Touch of Downy. Downy came out with Lavender Serenity and a Spring Lavender.

The products they have rolled out to replace the scent isn't the same- they both replaced it with a Lavender scent, but no vanilla. The vanilla made the scent so nice and warm and comforting.  :'(
"Zen 'ow can I if she mek me?"

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #344 on: October 15, 2012, 11:04:36 PM »

I found that too after seeing the privateer prices on Amazon!  I think i will try that.