Author Topic: Stuff you can't get anymore  (Read 55231 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Stuff you can't get anymore
« Reply #375 on: January 12, 2013, 11:26:22 PM »
I don't recall ever seeing them in NYC, but our stores are small enough so those would be a serious safety hazard.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #376 on: January 12, 2013, 11:38:36 PM »
A heating pad that doesn't turn itself off every twenty minutes.

I have chronic back pain, sometime back spasms.  The only thing that really helps is a heating pad.   If I have spasms I have to use it for hours at a time. Heating pads used to heat up and stay at the chosen temperature until you turned them off.  The only new ones I have found turn off after twenty minutes whether you want them to or not.  The only way to avoid this is to turn the pad off and back on before the twenty minutes are up.  If you forget to do this, you must get up, unplug the pad and plug it in again to restart it. 

I know this is a safety feature designed to keep people from falling asleep and getting burned but ... When one is in the throes of back spasms, one does not want to move.  If I miss the twenty minute mark and have to get up and pull the plug out, etc., it's gonna hurt

I wish could find one that wouldn't shut off.

I have been using two different heating pads since I was in a car accident in October.  Both of mine do turn off after 20 or 30 minutes.  But all I have to do is use the controller to turn it off and then back on again and they work for another 20 or 30 minutes.  I've never had to unplug them.  One of mine is about 5 years old, and the other one I got in October.  They both different brands, but work essentially the same way.  I wonder why yours is so different?

snowdragon

« Reply #377 on: January 13, 2013, 12:37:07 AM »

I have chronic back pain, sometime back spasms.  The only thing that really helps is a heating pad.   If I have spasms I have to use it for hours at a time. Heating pads used to heat up and stay at the chosen temperature until you turned them off.  The only new ones I have found turn off after twenty minutes whether you want them to or not.  The only way to avoid this is to turn the pad off and back on before the twenty minutes are up.  If you forget to do this, you must get up, unplug the pad and plug it in again to restart it. 

I know this is a safety feature designed to keep people from falling asleep and getting burned but ... When one is in the throes of back spasms, one does not want to move.  If I miss the twenty minute mark and have to get up and pull the plug out, etc., it's gonna hurt

Have you tried a heated mattress pad?

yokozbornak

« Reply #378 on: January 13, 2013, 01:41:37 PM »

Have you tried a heated mattress pad?

I was going to suggest this or a foot warmer.  I bought this (http://www.walmart.com/ip/21596957?adid=22222222227015603550&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem) to keep my feet warm, and it's just like a big heating pad that doesn't turn off.  It has three temperature settings so you can adjust it however you like.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:43:12 PM by yokozbornak »

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #379 on: January 13, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »
I don't recall ever seeing them in NYC, but our stores are small enough so those would be a serious safety hazard.

Iím thinking safety must have been one of the reasons the tiny carts were discontinued (in most places) a long time ago.  Kids + carts can be a bad combination.  I had to use the large industrial size dryer at a laundromat awhile back, and there were kids in there running wild with the carts that people use to transport clothes from washers to dryers.  (The mothers werenít paying any attention.)

Also, most stores have displays, etc. in the aisles.  Itís hard enough to get around.

m2kbug

« Reply #380 on: January 13, 2013, 03:35:43 PM »
The old albuterol inhalers.  I guess those little buggers were responsible for killing the ozone.  Now the inhalers use a different delivery system that just doesn't work as well.  And you can't get generic, so they're expensive.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #381 on: January 13, 2013, 08:34:14 PM »
Last time I checked, albuterol nebulizers were still available.  Would that be a viable option for you?  I know that a nebulizer isn't the same as an inhaler.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

alkira6

« Reply #382 on: January 13, 2013, 08:53:27 PM »
The old albuterol inhalers.  I guess those little buggers were responsible for killing the ozone.  Now the inhalers use a different delivery system that just doesn't work as well.  And you can't get generic, so they're expensive.

THIS! I had a coworker try to buy my spare when they finally ran out at all the pharmacies in town. NO!  I need it!

Long gone now, and the new ones just land on my tongue, so it takes 4-5 puffs to get enough in my air passages, which means that they run put much quicker, which means I have to buy refils 3x's more quickly, which means more $ out of my pocket.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #383 on: January 13, 2013, 09:13:41 PM »
Planter's cheesepuffs.  Argh, those were delicious!

Now, its Burger King's Sweet Potato fries and Sweet Potato Curly Fries.  I only got them thrice, because everyone I went out with hated sweet potatoes and kind of poopooed on me getting them when odds are I wouldn't finish it.  I think my BF felt a little guilty over that, since he tried to get them a few days ago and apologized that I couldn't get more of them. :-\ They were so good!

TylerBelle

« Reply #384 on: January 13, 2013, 10:14:54 PM »
The Domino's liquid brown sugar. When my brother and I were younger, my mom got it put into cookies and stuff. She never really was able to, for once we tasted it, it went onto pancakes, waffles, french toast, etc. It was so yum.

Hershey's chocolate milk powder. Their syrup, and also Nestle's powder just isn't the same.

Del Taco's steak and cheese burrito.

The drink vending machine that into a little cubicle in front of the machine a cup would drop down, followed by ice, and drink choice. Then you'd open the little door and retrieve your beverage, it was so cool. My brother and I loved finding those in the snack areas of motels when on vacation. We always wanted to see it mess up and do things out of order.

Anyone else remember when Hunt's snack pack pudding came in metal cans?  The taste was never the same once they changed to plastic.
And who remembers cutting your tongue licking either the lid or the inside of the can to get the last of the delicious chocolatiness?
Oh yay, I'm not the only one! Snack Pack did taste better in the cans than the plastic. ;D
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #385 on: January 14, 2013, 10:55:52 PM »
Come to think of it-- Irish Blend Monster.  It's likely a regional only thing, but we used to find it all the time a couple years ago.  Now I can't find any, and I'm hooked. :( The only time I asked, I asked a gas station that's had good service.  They said they would if we were willing to buy a few (re: not the whole flat, but at least enough to make it worth their while), and they did.  And it never showed up, we went there for a month looking afterwards.  They kept saying it was delayed.  Aw well, it's probably better for my girlish figure anyways.

Also, Orange Moxie and Leninade.  See, girlish figure.

demarco

« Reply #386 on: January 16, 2013, 07:59:02 PM »

I have been using two different heating pads since I was in a car accident in October.  Both of mine do turn off after 20 or 30 minutes.  But all I have to do is use the controller to turn it off and then back on again and they work for another 20 or 30 minutes.  I've never had to unplug them.  One of mine is about 5 years old, and the other one I got in October.  They both different brands, but work essentially the same way.  I wonder why yours is so different?

Shoo, after I read your reply I experimented with my controls.  It turns out if I hold down the weird toggle switch on the heating pad for several seconds it does turn off(!) and then I can turn it right back on again without getting up and pulling the plug. I was just tapping it before, not holding it down. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #387 on: January 16, 2013, 10:27:05 PM »

Shoo, after I read your reply I experimented with my controls.  It turns out if I hold down the weird toggle switch on the heating pad for several seconds it does turn off(!) and then I can turn it right back on again without getting up and pulling the plug. I was just tapping it before, not holding it down. 

Excellent!  Problem solved!

EmmaJ.

« Reply #388 on: January 16, 2013, 11:49:43 PM »
Campbell's Scotch Broth soup.  It had beef and barley and was so deliciously comforting.

m2kbug

« Reply #389 on: January 17, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »
Last time I checked, albuterol nebulizers were still available.  Would that be a viable option for you?  I know that a nebulizer isn't the same as an inhaler.

Albuterol the medication is still in use in the inhaler.  It's the delivery system in the canister inhalers to get the puff of medication into the lungs that causes the problem.  Apparently the old one released chlorofluorocarbons into the atmosphere, so they're using something else and it is not effective.  Many, many complaints since they implemented this.  Plus, since it is still fairly new, you can't get generic. With insurance I could get the old inhaler for $7, but now it costs $40.  That was my insurance.  Some people may have to pay more/less.  Only people with really bad asthma or lung issues use nebulizers, and that's a treatment you do once or twice a day, not something you can throw in your purse and use whenever you need it.