Author Topic: Stuff you can't get anymore  (Read 51248 times)

andi

Re: Stuff you can't get anymore
« Reply #405 on: March 06, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »
Excedrin users who have discovered the generic stuff doesn't work:

I am pleased to announce that Excedrin Migraine has made an appearance at my local Walgreens!

It is back!!!!!  Thank goodness - the stuff works and I've been hoarding my last bottle.  I saw it at HEB in Austin and here in Dallas in Wal-Mart. Not sure if I have it back at my BB&B yet - but sure seeing it around.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #406 on: March 06, 2013, 08:34:23 PM »
Woohoo! One more thing on my shopping list for my upcoming US trip.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #407 on: March 06, 2013, 09:18:20 PM »
The old albuterol inhalers.  I guess those little buggers were responsible for killing the ozone.  Now the inhalers use a different delivery system that just doesn't work as well.  And you can't get generic, so they're expensive.

This! I have ordered inhalers from Canada, they take a month to come in the mail, but I can get a year's supply for not too much money.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #408 on: March 06, 2013, 09:24:28 PM »
I miss the old watermelon Jolly Rancher sticks. The original Mr. Bubble powdered bubble bath. Aldi's stores had an amazing frozen strudel. It was available in mixed berry, cheese or apple raisin. I loved it.

You can find Zero candy bars at Cracker Barrel Country Stores.

I buy watermelon Jolly Ranchers on Amazon.  160 sticks per box, though.

Me

« Reply #409 on: March 06, 2013, 11:12:45 PM »

Chocolate mint cubes by Haigh's.  (A South Australian chocolate company)

I was addicted to them but about 8 years ago they discontinued them and made spearmint cubes instead which I don't like.  I was so disappointed!!  A friend of mine worked at Haigh's and a few months after they discontinued them they found a big bag of them out the back.  She very kindly bought them for me and I savoured them!!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #410 on: March 06, 2013, 11:48:23 PM »
Willow Valley Cereal. I loved oat bran bubbles and bran when growing up.

Pen^2

« Reply #411 on: March 07, 2013, 08:22:49 AM »
Handkerchiefs.

Seriously. We needed some, so off I go to buy a pack. It becomes apparent that the shop I went to doesn't sell them anymore. I go to the next shop, and the next. None sell them anymore. They all offer tissues with wan smiles. Over the past two months, I have literally been to every shop in my town (excepting only the aquarium place), and not one sells handkerchiefs.

When did this happen???  :o

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #412 on: March 07, 2013, 09:48:12 AM »
Handkerchiefs.

Seriously. We needed some, so off I go to buy a pack. It becomes apparent that the shop I went to doesn't sell them anymore. I go to the next shop, and the next. None sell them anymore. They all offer tissues with wan smiles. Over the past two months, I have literally been to every shop in my town (excepting only the aquarium place), and not one sells handkerchiefs.

You know, I don't think I've ever actually seen a handkerchief without benefit of some recording material, such as film or television.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #413 on: March 07, 2013, 10:03:27 AM »
Affordable summer bedspreads.  We have a few Indian cotton ones but they're at least 30 years old and, frankly, we're getting tired of them. 

Places like the Vermont Country Store have the styles we like.  However, they're ruinously expensive for what they are.  so much for Yankee thrift. 

magicdomino

« Reply #414 on: March 07, 2013, 10:57:10 AM »
Handkerchiefs.

You know, I don't think I've ever actually seen a handkerchief without benefit of some recording material, such as film or television.

I have seen prettily embroidered hankerchiefs around Christmas, packaged for no muss/no fuss giving.  They are thin little things, though, more for tucking in a breast pocket than blowing your nose.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #415 on: March 07, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »
This came and went so quickly and it may be available in other places: Blue Diamond Cinnamon Flavored Almonds. The stores around me have all of the other flavors but I can't find cinnamon anymore. I hate smoked, the cocoa is OK, but I loved the sweet/spicy cinnamon. If anyone in So California knows where I can pick them up, please please let me know.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

texgalatheart

« Reply #416 on: March 07, 2013, 12:01:33 PM »
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! to the 2 posters about Gebhardts Chili Quick. I printed the recipe and will be ordering some of the other.
The info wasn't available the last time my mom and i checked.

jmarvellous

« Reply #417 on: March 07, 2013, 12:11:56 PM »
Handkerchiefs.

I have seen prettily embroidered hankerchiefs around Christmas, packaged for no muss/no fuss giving.  They are thin little things, though, more for tucking in a breast pocket than blowing your nose.

I don't know how small your town is, but the only places we find them are menswear sections of department stores, or occasionally at Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshall's. Target will have them in gift boxes at Christmas sometimes, too.

We use them a lot, but we don't have a ton around at any given time.

Ladies' hankies? I've seen them a lot at antique and thrift stores, but I prefer larger, less fussy men's versions.

Amara

« Reply #418 on: March 07, 2013, 12:17:05 PM »
LazyDaisy, have you checked Amazon? I know they carry them. Also, I just did a quick search on Albertson's site, and they have them online (for more). Maybe they carry them in the store?

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Diamond-Almonds-Cinnamon-container/dp/B000ZT15EQ

Albertson's: https://albertsons.elsstore.com/products/44047-blue-diamond-almonds-cinnamon-brown-sugar

Find them near you, using your zip code: http://www.bluediamond.com/index.cfm?navId=49

LazyDaisy

« Reply #419 on: March 07, 2013, 12:33:55 PM »
LazyDaisy, have you checked Amazon? I know they carry them. Also, I just did a quick search on Albertson's site, and they have them online (for more). Maybe they carry them in the store?

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Diamond-Almonds-Cinnamon-container/dp/B000ZT15EQ

Albertson's: https://albertsons.elsstore.com/products/44047-blue-diamond-almonds-cinnamon-brown-sugar

Find them near you, using your zip code: http://www.bluediamond.com/index.cfm?navId=49
Thanks Amara. I usually shop at Albertsons and they don't have them in stores around me. I've checked Vons and Ralphs too. I might have to order through Master Amazon, but I think that is a slightly different flavor. i don't remember them having brown sugar.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams