Author Topic: Stuff you can't get anymore  (Read 57967 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Stuff you can't get anymore
« Reply #420 on: March 07, 2013, 04:46:25 PM »
Handkerchiefs.

Seriously. We needed some, so off I go to buy a pack. It becomes apparent that the shop I went to doesn't sell them anymore. I go to the next shop, and the next. None sell them anymore. They all offer tissues with wan smiles. Over the past two months, I have literally been to every shop in my town (excepting only the aquarium place), and not one sells handkerchiefs.

When did this happen???  :o

Target has them in the men's department.  I haven't looked for women's handkerchiefs, though.

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #421 on: March 07, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »
I know not the best of ideas but for ladies handkerchiefs, Tatting supplies has a few that could work for you.  I tend to find them at Hobby Lobby, but here is an online source.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #422 on: March 07, 2013, 09:31:51 PM »
Our morris dance team gets plain white unisex hankies at Michael's/A.C. Moore/Jo-Ann's -- with the bandannas.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #423 on: March 07, 2013, 11:41:41 PM »
So, I have a serious wicked craving for Bigelow Fruit and Almond tea.  It was discontinued years ago.  I've tried substitutions, but they are just not the same.

On a whim, I googled it to see if there was some off chance someone somewhere might have a box for sale.  To my astonishment, I found it at Bigelow's own website under the gluten free teas.

I am ecstatic!  It looks like they brought it back after so many people requested it, but I haven't seen it in a store anywhere.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #424 on: March 07, 2013, 11:45:09 PM »
Alpha-Bits cereal.  Post SAYS that they still make it, but I haven't seen any in years at the commissary or my usual supermarkets.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #425 on: March 08, 2013, 12:03:27 AM »
Alpha-Bits cereal.  Post SAYS that they still make it, but I haven't seen any in years at the commissary or my usual supermarkets.

Really?  It's readily available here.  If you're comfortable PMing me a mailing address, I'd be happy to grab a few boxes and send them your way.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Minmom3

« Reply #426 on: March 08, 2013, 12:22:55 AM »
Handkerchiefs.

Seriously. We needed some, so off I go to buy a pack. It becomes apparent that the shop I went to doesn't sell them anymore. I go to the next shop, and the next. None sell them anymore. They all offer tissues with wan smiles. Over the past two months, I have literally been to every shop in my town (excepting only the aquarium place), and not one sells handkerchiefs.

When did this happen???  :o

Vermont Country Store?  I went to their site and they have 3 different hankie offerings.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #427 on: March 08, 2013, 08:51:50 AM »
For the Canadians on board who might be looking for hankies, I've plain white ones at Mark's.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #428 on: March 08, 2013, 11:18:36 AM »
Here, local chain drug stores often have plain, white handkerchiefs.  They come in packs of two or three  for a modest price. 

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #429 on: March 08, 2013, 11:52:20 PM »
Soft plastic squeaky dog toys.

When Molly was a wee pup (a very wee pup, she's 15lbs full grown) her first toys were cheap little soft plastic squeakies purchased at one of our Big Two supermarket chains, mostly in the form of sea creatures.  They were small enough and soft enough that her little mouth didn't get hurt chewing them, they squeaked very loudly (annoying, but it got her attention when she wandered off in the paddock) and were tough enough to last a good few tug-o-war matches before they punctured.  She loved them then, and at 4 years old she still loves them now, over every other toy she has.  And she (and Suzi) are not deprived pups by any means.

Now they no longer stock them.  There are heaps of other plastic squeaky toys available, but the plastic is much harder, and neither of them will touch them.  Or the toys are too big to get their little mouths around.  Or they have spikes on them that both dogs don't like. 

We still have a heap of the favourite squeakies in the toy basket, but they've all lost their squeak now, and that's a major part of the fun for Molly, at least.  She just has to hear the squeak and she's off doing a little dance to start the game.  Luckily she'll play with them till they're in shreds, but still, it would be nice to replace the ones we have when they're totally used up.

I've looked everywhere for them, no dice. 

EmmaJ.

« Reply #430 on: March 09, 2013, 08:35:10 AM »
Julian, do any of the old toys have the maker's name stamped on them? If so, maybe you can contact the company directly.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #431 on: March 09, 2013, 04:55:23 PM »
EmmaJ, they have nothing on them (just picked up one to look, and Molly went mental - play time!)  They were always displayed in a big plastic tube, wish I'd read the label on it.

Elisabunny

« Reply #432 on: March 14, 2013, 02:17:23 PM »
Dawn dishwashing liquid used to make a scent-neutralizing version.  It was great!  It even worked on male goat funk.  Now I can't find it anymore. :'(
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

MaryMy

« Reply #433 on: March 14, 2013, 07:18:43 PM »
Stouffer's French Bread Pizza.

Clairol Hydrience Hair Colour.

The deep-fried apple pie at McDonald*s.  (They still had it in Mexico and in Spain the last time I went and I wonder if they still do... might be worth a trip! ;D)

You can get that wonderful apple pie at KFC.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #434 on: March 14, 2013, 07:26:06 PM »
Wendy's Apple Dumplings
Wendy's Hot Dogs
(They tried both these in the mid 1980s, but I think we were a test market, and it didn't last).  mmmmm, they were good!

Sisters Chicken & Biscuits  (creamed chicken over a big biscuit)