Author Topic: Stuff you can't get anymore  (Read 57996 times)

heartmug

Re: Stuff you can't get anymore
« Reply #435 on: March 14, 2013, 08:01:33 PM »
Spoon candy.  It was a dessert made from a mix that I had in the 1970s.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

jolyan

« Reply #436 on: March 14, 2013, 09:37:10 PM »
Handkerchiefs.

Seriously. We needed some, so off I go to buy a pack. It becomes apparent that the shop I went to doesn't sell them anymore. I go to the next shop, and the next. None sell them anymore. They all offer tissues with wan smiles. Over the past two months, I have literally been to every shop in my town (excepting only the aquarium place), and not one sells handkerchiefs.

When did this happen???  :o
I work at JCP we sell a 6 pack and a 13 pack at decent prices.
Target has them in the men's department.  I haven't looked for women's handkerchiefs, though.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #437 on: March 15, 2013, 08:01:40 AM »

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #438 on: March 15, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »
The Sears store near us is closing in a couple months.  Sears has a slogan, "Where America Shops."  Since their brick & mortar storefront is closing, I wonder if Amazon could adopt their slogan since now days, Amazon is "Where America Shops."
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Elisabunny

« Reply #439 on: March 19, 2013, 05:27:01 PM »
Skittles is replacing the yummy lime ones with yucky green apple. :'(   Plus how can they continue you to call it "Original" flavor, when they've changed the assortment? >:(
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #440 on: March 19, 2013, 06:07:37 PM »
Skittles is replacing the yummy lime ones with yucky green apple. :'(   Plus how can they continue you to call it "Original" flavor, when they've changed the assortment? >:(

What?!  No!  Not Skittles!  What next, lemon with pinea-

I SAID NOTHING.  No.  No other changes!

Mikayla

« Reply #441 on: March 19, 2013, 06:21:40 PM »
Semi moist cat food.  It's still popular as treats, but I used to buy it in plastic jugs as regular food.  Or Tender Vittles had packets.  But they got discontinued for some kind of health reason.

Bottlecaps

« Reply #442 on: March 20, 2013, 07:24:26 PM »
Island Vibe perfume from Avon. My sister gave me a bottle and I loved the stuff. It was the perfect perfume for me (I have to use lighter, fruitier scents - musky/earthy scents don't smell very good on me) and I've been looking for another bottle ever since. I know you can find it on eBay, pretty cheap at that, but I'm weary of buying it. For all I know it's from when it was originally made a few years ago and may not smell the same as a fresh bottle.

Oh, and Wendy's SuperBuffet. I'm not sure if it was just a local thing up home or if a lot of Wendy's had these, but I loved it. I always ate off the SuperBuffet when I went to Wendy's as a kid. I was so sad when the stores up home took theirs out.
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

KimberlyM

« Reply #443 on: March 21, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »
Island Vibe perfume from Avon. My sister gave me a bottle and I loved the stuff. It was the perfect perfume for me (I have to use lighter, fruitier scents - musky/earthy scents don't smell very good on me) and I've been looking for another bottle ever since. I know you can find it on eBay, pretty cheap at that, but I'm weary of buying it. For all I know it's from when it was originally made a few years ago and may not smell the same as a fresh bottle.

If you can't find it try Mary Kays Journey.  It's the only one I've ever found that doesn't smell funky on me, kind of a fruity/spring flower/rain kind of scent, those musky earthy scents are awful for me too.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #444 on: March 21, 2013, 02:20:32 PM »
Two things I've been looking for intermittently for MONTHS and have yet to find? A nice (high quality case AND implements) manicure set for my purse, and a replacement for the large ceramic mixing bowl the movers broke (and I nearly cried over). The bowl was heavy ceramic, plain, thick walled (held in cold well) and had a little notch on the bottom so I could tilt it at an angle when I was scooping out cookie dough. I had to do Christmas cookies with a plain glass bowl this year and it was frustrating - I kept having to put the dough back in the fridge between batches because it was too soft sitting on the counter in the glass. I used to use that bowl only once a year, but that once a year was crucial! I can't believe the movers broke it.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #445 on: March 21, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
Best advice I can give to people moving:  Stuff as much of the "I can't replace this" items in your car as you can.  Yes, movers are professionals, but law of averages says they break things sometimes, and it's just as likely to be a 100 year old heirloom as it is to be your kid's My Little Pony themed lunchbox.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #446 on: March 21, 2013, 02:35:12 PM »
Best advice I can give to people moving:  Stuff as much of the "I can't replace this" items in your car as you can.  Yes, movers are professionals, but law of averages says they break things sometimes, and it's just as likely to be a 100 year old heirloom as it is to be your kid's My Little Pony themed lunchbox.
Oh, we did - van crammed to the roof. MIL's silver set and my jewelry did fine, as did some irreplaceable art sorts of things, but who would have thought a mixing bowl would be the thing I'd get broken, and get really upset about?

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #447 on: March 21, 2013, 02:44:05 PM »
Oh, we did - van crammed to the roof. MIL's silver set and my jewelry did fine, as did some irreplaceable art sorts of things, but who would have thought a mixing bowl would be the thing I'd get broken, and get really upset about?
This is true.  And really sad, and not the kind of thing insurance is really designed to handle.  How do you put a price tag on "I can't replace this"?

alkira6

« Reply #448 on: March 21, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »
Two things I've been looking for intermittently for MONTHS and have yet to find? A nice (high quality case AND implements) manicure set for my purse, and a replacement for the large ceramic mixing bowl the movers broke (and I nearly cried over). The bowl was heavy ceramic, plain, thick walled (held in cold well) and had a little notch on the bottom so I could tilt it at an angle when I was scooping out cookie dough. I had to do Christmas cookies with a plain glass bowl this year and it was frustrating - I kept having to put the dough back in the fridge between batches because it was too soft sitting on the counter in the glass. I used to use that bowl only once a year, but that once a year was crucial! I can't believe the movers broke it.

Did it look something like this http://www.jamieathome.com/shop/products/Betty-Mixing-Bowl-100988NOC.html ?

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #449 on: March 21, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »

Did it look something like this http://www.jamieathome.com/shop/products/Betty-Mixing-Bowl-100988NOC.html ?

Make that all cream colored and no design, and you've got it exactly! Now I wonder if they ship to the US....

THANK YOU!!! I have hope that I can replace it, at last!