Etiquette School is in session! > "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

When "NO" is not enough

<< < (2/8) > >>

PastryGoddess:
Just because she asks why, doesn't mean you have to answer.  If you feel like being a bit snarky you can add a "because I said so" to the end of that.

Amava:
She's your sister, and it sounds like you do care for her.
You have found information, about how the scam she has fallen for ruins people's lives.
Send it to her. There is always a chance that if she hears it from enough people, she will see the light before she gets into it even deeper.
The longer people are involved with these things, the harder it becomes for them to get out.

I know that the chances are high that she will not believe the information, that she will get mad at you, even, that she will say "you're just jealous" or "you're too paranoid" and stuff like that.
But hey, then at least you have tried.

And keep an eye out for other family members she might try to drag into it. Are your parents somewhere in the picture? Are they at risk? Do you have other brothers or sisters?
Be very, very careful and alert.

BeagleMommy:
Sis:  Blah, blah, blah company line about MLM
You:  I don't want to do that.
Sis:  But why?
You:  Because I don't want to.

Lather.  Rinse.  Repeat.  Don't give reasons because she'll only get more determined to explain to you why your reasons are wrong.

mrkitty:
Thank you everyone for your advice. I think it will be most helpful, and I think I know what I need to do now. I feel much better. We'll see how it goes.

The sad part is, I'm not sure it's going to matter in a few months. I think she's going to give up (from what I read online, that's generally what happens to reps at this company once they realize they're not making any money at it).

She says she hates sales; she was a Realtor a few years ago, but gave that up because she hated the sales part. (!?) So, why she thinks she can sell this stuff (which, in my opinion, is a lot dodgier than selling real estate, which has actual value and benefit to people who own or even use property) is beyond me. She's normally a rational person, but when it comes to doing the bidding of DH, well, all of that just goes out the window.

Oh well. Nothing I can do about that, that's her business. But I'm not going to touch this mlm thing with a 20 ft pole, that's for dang sure.

Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated!

mrkitty:
Well. This is just LOVELY. I just got off the phone with some woman from said MLM who called me, attempting to pressure me into buying this stuff and then signing up to be my sister's downline. I guess this woman is my sister's mentor or boss in this thing. From what I read online about this company, they "force" new recruits to give them a list of everyone they know and their contact information or they have to pay extra fees or something like that.

Just for the record, I DID NOT give sis permission to give out my phone number to anyone, EVER. It looks like I'm going to have to expedite speaking to her about this. First, I need to calm down because now I'm angry. (I have issues about privacy. Years ago, a relative by marriage stole my identity online and arranged for someone to break into my house to attack me...hence that's why DH and I moved clear across the country and now I'm REAL choosy about who gets my contact info. Sis is well aware of this, hence my consternation).

Anyone care to pull me off the cliff before I go ballistic over the phone?!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version