Author Topic: Things you shouldn't laugh at - Olympics edition  (Read 3478 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at - Olympics edition
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »
Haven't been watching them, but I did see a clip of one gymnast's parents as they were watching her perform. The way they were moving and expressions on their faces were priceless.

I agree.  You could almost put the dance they were doing to music.  Sometimes, watching parents and supporters can be hilarious.

Speaking of hilarious, does anyone remember 'Eddie the Eagle'?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 10:13:41 AM »
I do!  Those are the Olympic moments that do make me laugh.  People like Eddie know they aren't very good and know they are a bit of comic relief.

But otherwise?  I don't find the falls and failure funny; I find them cringe worthy.  Like the German gymnast (male) who fell off the high bar and landed flat on his stomach - it just made me shudder with how painful that must have been.  Others I just find inspiring, even though they are never going to win a medal.  Like the rower from Niger (I think) who was dead last by a long shot in all his races but started rowing just 4 months ago!  Or the young woman from Saudia Arabia who competed in Judo.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 10:34:06 AM »
There were two heart-breakers this morning in Track & Field preliminaries.

Both were from observant Moslem countries and the first women from those countries ever to compete in the Olympics.  One finished dead last in her heat and the other suffered an injury that required her to be taken off the track in a wheelchair. 

All Olympians are brave but these ladies went above and beyond the norm.  Both had said that they wanted their participation to inspire young women.  I hope that's what it does.

However, I fear that, in their home countries, the perception will be that women shouldn't attempt these things. 

Redsoil

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »
Slightly off-topic, but this has always made me wonder...

How on earth do some of the athletes even manage to qualify?  For instance, Eddie the Eagle and other like competitors who are not of "Olympic" standard?  I understand it's appealing for the crowds, cheering the underdogs, but are there not regulations whereby a competitor should be of a certain ability to compete?
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Snooks

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 10:48:57 AM »
It must be something to do with all the countries being allowed to put forward their "best" athlete.

Yesterday my giggles came from an Australian gymnast ending up on her bum after the vault and the GB gymnast who misjudged where the floor was and didn't get her feet down (although then I felt bad because she scored 0).

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
They have changed the qualification structure for some sports, especially where an inept athlete could get seriously injured.  After Eddie, ski jumping changed to prevent someone from qualifying who couldn't actually jump.

Rowing is reasonably safe.  Sure, you could fall out of the boat but there is always a chase boat that can pull you out of the drink.  The whitewater slalom events?  Probably have a higher qualification standard because of the higher risk involved.

Something like gymnastics, the less adept athlete can just do easier routines; judo, they are beaten more easily.  So there is less need for a higher qualification standard.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
They were talking about that during the archery rounds the other day. This year they relaxed the qualification standards slightly so that the sport could gain wider recognition, and attract athletes from smaller countries.

It seems to have worked. A Moldovan shooter who wasn't supposed to be a threat at all upset one of the top Americans in the elimination round.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Ereine

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 01:58:55 PM »
Ski jumping is a big sport in Finland and Eddie the Eagle was quite popular here, he even recorded a song in very bad Finnish (I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a joke, probably). The lyrics are something "My name is Eddie, I'm a skiing eagle from England. It doesn't matter if I'm last" and the chorus is "Jump Eddie jump, we'll cheer for you". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ju1lIzR7LE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 06:08:12 PM »
I remember years ago watching Israel's first figure skater.  He was one of those who knew he'd never win, but he was so excited just to be there it was contagious, and the crowd gave him a standing ovation even though he fell a few times. 

kkl123

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 07:39:14 PM »
Or how about the Jamaican bobsled team in 1988?  They borrowed sleds from other teams, and they were given tips and training by the other competitors?  They actually finished 14th, ahead of the US and Russia, in the 1994 games.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 01:41:08 AM »
Oh no, I just felt dreadfully sorry for them.  All that work, all that training, and I'm sure they were beyond nervous with all the world's eyes on them.

All my sympathy to them.

I agree. Apparently I have no sense of humor, and I'm locking this thread because I can.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.