Author Topic: What to offer re food?  (Read 1687 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
What to offer re food?
« on: August 01, 2012, 04:27:53 PM »
It's my Hen Night on Friday. We are going for dinner at 7.30pm.  Most people are meeting us at venue. But Chief Bridesmaid is coming to our house in the afternoon as she is staying the night.  She is bringing some Pimms and I already have lemonade and fruit for that. I was going to make pasta bolognese for her, me and DF for lunch...I am having second thoughts about that now. Lunch will be 3pm and we eat at 7.30. I'm worried it would be too heavy. Bridesmaid said she's picking up some sushi for us. DF is not fussed on sushi and I wanted something we would all like and hopefully feed DS some of it. Do I override BM and offer something else or let her bring sushi? At this time it is only BM spending time at our house. Usually our meals are kid friendly...any suggestions? I don't want to sound rude!!!!! Xxxxx
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Tabby Uprising

Re: What to offer re food?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 05:18:22 PM »
Hmmm, what if you made the pasta and shipped it off to me who shall gobble it up in one fell swoop?  No?  Okay, let's do a minor revision.  What if you go ahead and make the pasta for your DF and DS.  You and your friend can have sushi.  I know it's a bit weird to be sitting down to lunch at home with everyone and having different meals.  But that would allow you and your friend to have a light lunch of sushi and be in better position for a 7:30 dinner.  Your DF can have his hearty pasta, share it with DS and even have leftovers for dinner.  (I assume he isn't attending the hen night?)

Just consider it pre-Hen party prep food.  Of course, I don't think there can be too much food.  Sushi and pasta?  Okay, sign me up!  ;)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 05:35:34 PM »
Why not do something that goes along with sushi?  A terryaki salmon and some rice, or a quick stir fry?  Maybe a seaweed salad or an avocado salad, as well.  Serve everything family style and that way your DH and little one can have what they prefer, and you and your BFF can have more sushi!

Or just some sandwich fixin's are always an easy way to have a light lunch for some (you two who are going out) but your DH can have a bigger sandwich or two sandwiches if he wants to eat more.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:48:41 PM »
I like Tabby's solution.

The only thing that I would add is to make sure you talk to BM so that she doesn't bring sushi for 4 and find out that only 2 are eating it. Let her know that you're also making the pasta, and say "Hey, if you'd rather have that instead, don't worry about the sushi." Then it's her choice and you're not overriding her offer.

If she chooses to go with just the pasta, make a large salad so that you and BM can eat on the lighter side.

Then again, WillyNilly has a good idea. Maybe a chicken/rice casserole for DF and DS, something that goes with/complements the sushi.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 06:32:16 PM »
If I'm supposed to go out for dinner at 7:30 I wouldn't want a big meal at 3pm. I'd be perfectly fine if some nice snacks are available. A bit of sushi would be fine, but really, no big dishes.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 06:40:39 PM »
Could you make the pasta for your DH and DS to have for dinner at a normal time and only have snack food at 3?  Do you really need to do a real lunch when she is there?  I think I'd instead have a light lunch with your family at the regular time and then serve snacks.  You can add some chips, fruit, cheese or even steamed dumplings to the sushi offering.   She might even be offering to bring the sushi to prevent needing to eat a lunch so close to your planned dinner time. 

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 03:04:07 AM »
Yay. Bought some salmon with shopping. We have noodles and teriyaki sauce. We also have a tex mex box which we can put in the oven easy enough. Problem solved in that DS loves the potato skin inside bits (potato and cheese!) and he quite likes the mushrooms too. That will be enough for him with his normal fodder as well...he also loves salmon!!!!! BM knows DR isn't fused on sushi too. Thanks guys!!!!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.