Author Topic: Used This at the Flea Market  (Read 10446 times)

BeagleMommy

Used This at the Flea Market
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:09:27 PM »
Let me start off by saying, before I get into the story, The Beagle was never in distress.  We had given him a bowl of water 10 minutes before we encountered this woman (he is a well-travelled dog and we always carry a travel water bowl with us).

Yesterday DH and I took The Beagle to the local flea market to walk around.  My parents were also there selling items.  It was rather hot that day, but Beagle is used to warm weather and just loves to go anywhere.  There were many other people with dogs there as well.  Most people just kind of coo at the dogs and sometimes ask if they can pet them.

As we were leaving we walked past one of the stands and a woman started screeching at us "DON'T YOU HAVE ANY WATER FOR THAT POOR DOG".  Before we could answer she started again "YOU NEED TO GET HIM TO THE CONCESSIONS STAND RIGHT NOW AND GET HIM SOME WATER.  DOGS AREN'T EVEN ALLOWED TO BE HERE.  I WORK FOR LOCAL ANIMAL CHARITY YOU KNOW".

The only place dogs are not allowed at this flea market was the place she wanted us to take him - the concessions stand.  I turned and, very cooly, replied "It's nice of you to take an interest." and we walked off to our car where Beagle relaxed in the air conditioning with us as we drove home.  Thank you, Ehell!

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: Used This at the Flea Market
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 04:53:51 PM »
Excellent answer :)  But am I terrible for imagining you buying fleas for The Beagle? ;). It is a flea market, after all.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 05:07:42 PM »
Excellent answer :)  But am I terrible for imagining you buying fleas for The Beagle? ;). It is a flea market, after all.

;D If you are terrible so am I. No dogs at the flea market? What? Yes, we are both terrible  :P
"It's nice of you to take an interest" is one of my favorite EHellisms. I am glad you were able to use it.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:33:03 AM »

I WORK FOR LOCAL ANIMAL CHARITY YOU KNOW".

IMHO...

This means, I volunteer for all those poor abandoned animals at the animal shelter, and even though I have know clue what I am doing, I know everything there is to know about all animals, and those people who own animals don't have a clue.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 03:07:45 PM »

IMHO...

This means, I volunteer for all those poor abandoned animals at the animal shelter, and even though I have know clue what I am doing, I know everything there is to know about all animals, and those people who own animals don't have a clue.

You don't really think that people who work at animal shelters have no clue what they are doing, do you? And are flat out announcing it on EHell just like that? That is how that sounds. I hope you mean just that really rude woman.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 09:35:38 PM »

IMHO...

You don't really think that people who work at animal shelters have no clue what they are doing, do you? And are flat out announcing it on EHell just like that? That is how that sounds. I hope you mean just that really rude woman.

Yes, just that rude woman. Someone who know animals can tell the difference between, that dog is a little warm, and holy smokes, you need to take care of that animal right now, it is distressed.

I know plenty of wonderful people who work with animals, and know what they are doing. It's the "do-gooders" like above woman who just screams incompetence when they have a reaction like that.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:37:47 AM »
That's how I read it, wonderfullyanonymous, that you just meant her.  For what it's worth, I also think that's what the woman really meant.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »

IMHO...

Yes, just that rude woman. Someone who know animals can tell the difference between, that dog is a little warm, and holy smokes, you need to take care of that animal right now, it is distressed.

I know plenty of wonderful people who work with animals, and know what they are doing. It's the "do-gooders" like above woman who just screams incompetence when they have a reaction like that.

:) Glad to hear it. I figured that was probably what you meant ... i may be a wee bit oversensitive when it comes to animal shelters. Thanks for bearing with me :)

~Gaslight Anthem

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 09:56:02 AM »
There's always That Person - the one who works (or once worked) somewhere, knows absolutely nothing about what the rest of the staff do, but assumes that he/she is more knowledgeable than any of them, no matter what their degrees or experience. We know this, because they insist on telling everyone. It could be an animal shelter, auto parts store, pharmacy, plant store.... That Person is legion.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

exitzero

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 10:00:25 AM »
There's always That Person - the one who works (or once worked) somewhere, knows absolutely nothing about what the rest of the staff do, but assumes that he/she is more knowledgeable than any of them, no matter what their degrees or experience. We know this, because they insist on telling everyone. It could be an animal shelter, auto parts store, pharmacy, plant store.... That Person is legion.

Sounds like a woman I used to work with. I worked at place that serviced the needs of Deaf people. This woman had a Deaf son. It didn't matter if 9,000 Deaf people stated they needed something a certain way...she knew better, because she had a Deaf son. No exaggeration, she would say it at least 3 or 4 times a day. To people who themselves were Deaf.
 For years after we left every so often someone would say, "Did you know former coworker had a Deaf son?" and the rest of us would crack up.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »
hobish wrote:

"Glad to hear it. I figured that was probably what you meant ... i may be a wee bit oversensitive when it comes to animal shelters. Thanks for bearing with me"

There's a bear with you at the shelter?!?  Good luck getting him adopted.

Virg

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 12:47:57 PM »
hobish wrote:

"Glad to hear it. I figured that was probably what you meant ... i may be a wee bit oversensitive when it comes to animal shelters. Thanks for bearing with me"

There's a bear with you at the shelter?!?  Good luck getting him adopted.

Virg

;D You are funny.
~Gaslight Anthem

LilacRosey

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 12:51:34 AM »
I need to use this so badly it is not funny!, lilacrosey