Author Topic: Casual Birthday Party -- Cocktails? Snacks?  (Read 3906 times)

jmarvellous

Re: Casual Birthday Party -- Cocktails? Snacks?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »
It worked out great.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

We only had 10 people (us included) -- lots of our invitees never RSVP'd, but everyone who showed told us  they were coming.

I printed out a cute sheet with instructions for Old Fashioneds and Whiskey Sours, and I played bartender. We didn't even open the two bottles of wine or the 12-pack of beer, but we did drink the majority of a bottle of Jameson.  (I was kind of shocked because most people didn't have more than one drink, but maybe I'm just not used to serving liquor. Those drinks are very heavy pours, though.)

At BF's request, I made an almost-vegan (BF does eat cage-free organic eggs, but nothing else from animals except honey) carrot cake with a coconut cream frosting and chocolate decorations. The recipe was fantastic, super moist with lots of pecans, pineapple, coconut and raisins. (Our nut-allergy friend was the only person to bother to RSVP "no," which made things easier.)

I also made little falafel balls and a zesty tahini sauce, thanks to this thread. They were gobbled right up. Chips and salsa, crackers and hummus, and cold veggies, too.

My arms are sore from carrying boxes yesterday, but sister's move went great, too.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 01:23:38 PM »
sounds lovely! and would you mind posting the carrot cake recipe? i have a great recipe but always on the look out for new ones

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 07:31:35 PM »
God you guys had a good time.  Your cake sounds great.

Mikayla

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
Your menu sounds lovely!  It's too late now, but my go-to dish for vegans is something I love myself:  broiled or grilled portobellos.  I blackened them once under the broiler and it came out cajun tasting.  So good....

White Lotus

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 11:05:05 AM »
Just so you know, OP: En-R-G (I think that is how they spell it) has a product called Egg Replacer.  It is useful in baked goods only -- no omelets -- but it gives a wonderful result.  The Professor and I are vegan-leaning vegetarians, and we have family members who avoid eggs, too, for medical reasons.  I tried the egg-based egg substitutes, but do not like them much. Egg Replacer gives a much better result in baking.  I don't own stock in them, or work for them or anything like that,  but non-veg people often don't know about veg. products or how good they can be.  If I ever give a product name it is because I am sure (as of my last purchase) that it is at least vegetarian, and the best option I have found.  Depression and WWII recipes are very often vegan because there weren't eggs or butter available.  I have a depression-era carrot cake recipe that is vegan and fabulous.  Just for future reference.  WL

jmarvellous

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 12:37:06 PM »
Thanks. I'm familiar with it -- I've been cooking/baking vegan for a long time. But for some reason, something about an egg replacer product weirds me out. I always use regular eggs (which BF adores now that he eats them) or bananas or applesauce as a replacement in baking for vegans.