Author Topic: Adult Only Cocktail Party - Another UPDATE page 2, #43  (Read 12352 times)

Judah

• California, U.S.A
Re: Adult Only Cocktail Party - UPDATE page 2, #32
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2012, 11:49:43 AM »
Another update.  They drove a friend, Sally home.  I offered for her to stay the night, but she wanted to go home.  Son came to pick her up and honked the horn several times at 2 AM! I ran out and told him that is unacceptable and don't do it again.  He was angry she was coming home so late and then made it known he did not like driving Sally home.  This is the type of behaviour that makes me not want him at my events.   As far as I can tell, his social skills have NOT improved in the slightest. 

Sally told me  when they got to her house, remember it is after 2 AM, Muffy asked to come in for a tour of the house!  AT 2 AM!!  Sally just wanted to get to bed, but was so flabbergasted by the request, she said yes. 

The more I think of it, the more I think she likes to cross boundaries and is very presumptive!

It seems that Muffy's social skills aren't any better than her son's.  It's no wonder he is the way he is.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Adult Only Cocktail Party - Another UPDATE page 2, #43
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2012, 01:51:05 PM »
You wonder how many of the problems are truly his and how many are overflow from her.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »
Yes, beginning to wonder.  She has invited herself to events at my house in the past.  I posted about dinner for Canada Day, she asked what time?  She wasn't joking . Luckily, she did not show up with him that time. 

What bugs me is we have had her over so many times and she has never reciprocated... not even to ask out to a restaurant or happy hour. 

I am beginning to see how one-sided this is and that our manners are quite different.

greencat

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »
I would have also been angry that I was being made to drive my drunk mother (or anyone else I was on-call to be a ride for) home so late and unexpectedly have to take someone else home - it's happened to me before and it meant that I ended up getting to bed an hour or more later than I expected that evening.  The horn honking at 2 AM was definitely unacceptable behavior though.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 11:01:33 PM »
I would have also been angry that I was being made to drive my drunk mother (or anyone else I was on-call to be a ride for) home so late and unexpectedly have to take someone else home - it's happened to me before and it meant that I ended up getting to bed an hour or more later than I expected that evening.  The horn honking at 2 AM was definitely unacceptable behavior though.

Where did I say she was drunk?  Sally, who they drove home, was.  Not to defend Muffy, but she puts up with a lot from her son and I don't think it is unreasonable for her to have a night out occasionally or to imbibe.  She could have driven to our place and then he would have had to stay home with no wheels for the night. 

greencat

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2012, 12:50:25 AM »

Where did I say she was drunk?  Sally, who they drove home, was.  Not to defend Muffy, but she puts up with a lot from her son and I don't think it is unreasonable for her to have a night out occasionally or to imbibe.  She could have driven to our place and then he would have had to stay home with no wheels for the night. 

I'm sorry - I misunderstood.  My point was that I understand the son's irritation at the situation of having to pick his mother up so late and unexpectedly having to also drive another person home at the time.  For one or more of the people to be drunk is additional annoyance.

I had actually had a fuzzy idea that perhaps being drunk would offer an explanation for Muffy's rudeness at inviting herself into Sally's home for the tour, because I can't hardly imagine anyone doing that sober!