Author Topic: Adult Only Cocktail Party - Another UPDATE page 2, #43  (Read 12493 times)

buvezdevin

Re: Adult Only Cocktail Party
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 04:11:22 PM »
There are other advantages to email for informal invitations, people are more likely to reply to something they see addressed solely to them, rather than a group of invitees (in my experience).  I used to use evite, and like its features, especially for larger informal events, but I returned to using email some while back.  When inviting more than a few folks by individual emails, I cut and past the event detail text, and add a few personalized lines to the start of each message.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 04:16:40 PM »
I do plan to stop inviting her in the future, sadly.  I like her as a person.  After thinking of it, she has never reciprocated and seems to enjoy our hospitality without offering it in return.  Still haven't heard from her, so don't know if she still plans to come since I stated explicitly adult only.

It is assumed that a couple/social unit will come in twos even though the evite is set up to invite the emailee.  Looks like to curtail this in the future, I need to find another form of invitation. Mailing is a bit formal for our circle.  Anyone have an idea for alternative to evite, preferably free?

i don't see why you have to find another way of inviting guests to your party if she's the only one you're having an issue with.  once you stop inviting her, that problem will be neatly solved.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »
UPDATE:

She came to the party and showed up with her son.  I was livid.  DH and I looked at each other and were absolutely shocked.  Turns out, she had him drop her off and he just came in to say hello.  DH was ready to tell her he couldn't stay, but by that time, he had already left. 

greencat

Re: Adult Only Cocktail Party - UPDATE page 2, #32
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 12:57:15 PM »
It...listened?  Amazing.

doodlemor

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 12:58:20 PM »
I think this was deliberate, to annoy you in a PA, in your face way. 

She also could have been hoping that you would give in and ask him to stay, or that the other guests would wonder/ask why he didn't stay.  I think that she wanted the other guests to know that he was available, but big, bad you had excluded him.

POF

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 01:17:11 PM »
My thoughts exactly... Really it doesn't sound like you are that close that you wanted / needed to say Hi ...

NyaChan

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 01:20:51 PM »
I agree.  How irritating, glad he left without drama though.

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 02:12:43 PM »

She also could have been hoping that you would give in and ask him to stay, or that the other guests would wonder/ask why he didn't stay.  I think that she wanted the other guests to know that he was available, but big, bad you had excluded him.

Big fat POD!!! Wow, that's pretty nervy of her.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2012, 02:33:42 PM »

Big fat POD!!! Wow, that's pretty nervy of her.

She seemed fine throughout the party, but I did wonder why he came in.  It just seemed so strange.  He doesn't know anyone, but turns out he goes to the school our neighbour works at and she knew him. 

Stormtreader

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »
Is it possible she was expecting to guilt you into letting him stay and then saw the look on your face and backed down?

EmmaJ.

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2012, 12:50:19 PM »
Is it possible she was expecting to guilt you into letting him stay and then saw the look on your face and backed down?

That was my (cynical) first thought too.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2012, 12:58:31 PM »

That was my (cynical) first thought too.

Mine, too.
Utah

lowspark

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2012, 03:39:11 PM »
Wow. Yeah, I gotta wonder if it was either the PA dig or the hope that you'd back down. Either way, it stinks! No question that she'd be off my guest list permanently.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2012, 10:54:47 AM »
Another update.  They drove a friend, Sally home.  I offered for her to stay the night, but she wanted to go home.  Son came to pick her up and honked the horn several times at 2 AM! I ran out and told him that is unacceptable and don't do it again.  He was angry she was coming home so late and then made it known he did not like driving Sally home.  This is the type of behaviour that makes me not want him at my events.   As far as I can tell, his social skills have NOT improved in the slightest. 

Sally told me  when they got to her house, remember it is after 2 AM, Muffy asked to come in for a tour of the house!  AT 2 AM!!  Sally just wanted to get to bed, but was so flabbergasted by the request, she said yes. 

The more I think of it, the more I think she likes to cross boundaries and is very presumptive!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Adult Only Cocktail Party - Another UPDATE page 2, #43
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2012, 10:57:24 AM »
Good grief.  That's more than enough reason to delete her from future guest lists.